faux prosciutto and pancetta

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 02:29 am
I fell in love with prosciutto and pancetta back in the late 80's and the 90's. That is, the prosciutto and pancetta from italy, the parma and regio emilia region in particular. Easily available at italian markets here.
I went to Parma and sampled some of the best in the spring of !999.
I guess that all died with the advent of the Euro and market rules related to that, or at least it died re exporting to us in the US.

No more caves and all that. We are so protected... from deliciousness.

Gads, the stuff they purvey now is absolute crap in place of the originals.

I bought some prosciutto at the international market here recently, with the notation of danielefoods.com; stuff is made in the US, it turns out, ridiculous as a replacement. Spit it out time. Daniele used to be a respected name.

I understand there are artisan types endeavoring to do nifty cured meats here in the US for a lot of money. Specifically, some people in Seattle (sorry, don't have link.) I don't have the wherewithal to sample, re pricing. I'm doubtful they'll match Culatello di zibello, or whatever the name was.

This is gross stupidity. How can chefs even mention pancetta when using this so-called-pancetta stuff? Nothing near the same.
See flames running sideways from Osso's ears.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,252 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Raphillon

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 10:09 am
Sorry about that, I must say I DO consider myself lucky, I wish I could help.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 12:00 pm
Of course, I may be wrong, maybe the real thing can be exported from italy to the US and I don't know about it.

Hi, Raphillon, how're you doing?
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 03:02 am
I don't know, I think one could pack an entire prisciutto and ship it to the USA, but I don't know if it is legal, and if it is safe.

And an entire prosciutto.... you must have somewhere to store it and something to slice it... It could be difficoult.

I'm fine thanks, as usual full of work and short in time Rolling Eyes And you?
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 03:58 am
This might be of help.

Home Page.(US Stockist)

Prosciutto (imported from Parma) and more.

Where to buy (State by State)

Hope so, anyway.
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 10:44 am
Bump.

I would have sent you a personal message, ossobucco, but it seems I'm not deemed as worthy quite yet. Very Happy

Just didn't want you to miss the link in amongst all these threads.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 11:11 am
Hi, doowop, thanks for the links, that's a big help!

On being able to pm, don't take that personally - that has nothing to do with you not being trustworthy, but a matter of not having a predictable number of posts to guarantee access to pm - a matter that would give virulent spammers a target number to shoot for to then inundate us all with pms.

Here's information about pm's -

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2627670#2627670
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 01:41 am
Thanks for the link, and I hope you find a stockist near you. You can't beat the genuine article, can you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 08:34 am
Right!
0 Replies