1
   

Two hypothetical situations

 
 
Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 08:03 am
1. Someone tries to force you to commit suicide and hurts everyone around you, including your family, in horrible ways (though surreptitiously) to make you give up life. Would you sacrifice your life in such a situation, even if you have no suicidal tendencies in general?

2. Hypnosis. If someone commits murder while under hypnosis, what is the punishment/law for that?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,021 • Replies: 10
No top replies

 
OGIONIK
 
  1  
Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 08:08 am
1.if someone hurt the people around me i wouldnt kill myself, id kill them Smile
Anwer:no

2.i have no clue, i think they would still get charged with murder.
0 Replies
 
Chai
 
  1  
Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 09:15 am
1.
I wouldn't think of it as suicide, rather sacrificing my life for them.

2.
I don't believe a person can be made to commit murder while hypnotized. That like an urban legend.
0 Replies
 
literarypoland
 
  1  
Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 11:28 am
From what I know about hypnosis, you can't force another person to do what they don't want to do. But if the wish is there, who knows?
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 07:42 am
Re: Two hypothetical situations
literarypoland wrote:
Quote:
1. Someone tries to force you to commit suicide and hurts everyone around you,
including your family, in horrible ways (though surreptitiously) to make you give up life.
Would you sacrifice your life in such a situation,
even if you have no suicidal tendencies in general?

No; I 'd do my best to kill or otherwise disable HIM
and avenge his victims.




Quote:

2. Hypnosis. If someone commits murder while under hypnosis,
what is the punishment/law for that?

That amounts to an insanity defense,
that he did not know what he was doing
nor did he know that it was morally nor legally improper.




Incidentally,
I do not support insanity defenses.

A man shud be judged by his conduct,
not by what he was thinking.
David
0 Replies
 
Wilso
 
  1  
Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 08:38 am
I don't believe in hypnosis.
0 Replies
 
Chai
 
  1  
Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 10:52 am
I know, hypnotism always seemed like such a crock.

You'd have to be a pretty weak minded individual to be that suggestable. I don't mean killing, I mean doing anything because you're "in their power".
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 01:59 pm
Chai wrote:
I know, hypnotism always seemed like such a crock.

You'd have to be a pretty weak minded individual to be that suggestable. I don't mean killing,
I mean doing anything because you're "in their power".

Not necessarily.

There have been events at which
people have been hypnotized and told that a coin
is red hot when it is rested on their hands,
raising a boil, as if it really had been.

Some folks found post-hypnotic suggestions useful in quitting smoking.
Others have successfully used hypnosis instead of chemical anesthesias for surgery.
0 Replies
 
literarypoland
 
  1  
Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 12:36 am
There seems to be some debate these days as to evidence from court witnesses obtained thanks to hypnosis. Try: hypnosis murder on Google.
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 01:26 am
literarypoland wrote:
There seems to be some debate these days as to evidence from court witnesses obtained thanks to hypnosis.
Try: hypnosis murder on Google.

Yes.
False memories have been installed by mercenary hypnotists.
0 Replies
 
stuh505
 
  1  
Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 04:59 am
If the law makes an exception for people under "hypnosis" then people will allow themselves to break the law while being hypnotized. If the law makes no exception, then they won't let themselves be "hypnotized" to that extent. It's like when you feel yourself getting drunk and you act drunker than you are. Hypnosis is a play-along game played by both people, but if the subject knows there are consequences for playing along...they are much less likely to do so.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

How can we be sure? - Discussion by Raishu-tensho
Proof of nonexistence of free will - Discussion by litewave
morals and ethics, how are they different? - Question by existential potential
Destroy My Belief System, Please! - Discussion by Thomas
Star Wars in Philosophy. - Discussion by Logicus
Existence of Everything. - Discussion by Logicus
Is it better to be feared or loved? - Discussion by Black King
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Two hypothetical situations
Copyright © 2022 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/01/2022 at 01:36:00