Train crash

dadpad

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 06:55 am
For those who havn't seen the news.

11 die in train crash

Eleven people were killed when a truck smashed into a passenger train on a level crossing in country Victoria today, ripping open one carriage and badly damaging another.

At least 22 people were injured, but authorities tonight feared the death toll could rise further, with five people critical and up to 13 unaccounted for.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/six-dead-in-train-crash/2007/06/05/1180809490082.html

Kerang (the closest town) is located in Northern Victoria. My old stamping ground. I used to Ilegally ride my motorbike up the rail line o this level crossing, sneak up the highway and on to a back road to get to kangaroo lake.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,238 • Replies: 5
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 06:57 am
http://www.theage.com.au/ffxmedia/kerang_rail11_0506.jpg

Photo credit: Angela Wylie
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 07:04 am
Just saw this thread as I was about to head off to bed, dadpad.

But I was wondering: did this strike you as a particularly dangerous intersection?

I'm also thinking that perhaps the truck driver passed out, or had a heart attack, or something. I can't think of any other reason he didn't stop.
A terrible siuation.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 07:10 am
Its a known black spot msolga. Another fatality occored not so long ago when a car stopped foor a train and a truck rammed her from behind pushing the car into the path of the train.

It should be no more dangerous than any other level crossing in Victoria.
I had an uncle who died in a level crossing smash years ago now. I think its just innattention
0 Replies

NettieK

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 05:33 pm
Living not far from that rail crossing, I have passed through it many times before and after the crash. It never had any noticeable difference to other rail crossings, Is on a reasonably straight stretch with wide open spaces, not much vegetation around to impede the view. Admittedly the train does cross over the road at an angle but that should not have been an issue.
My view, I don't know about others, is, as people who have just passed through the town they think Oh, next town Lake Charm, lets relax back and enjoy the countryside, change a cd, think of some odd job that needs doing, therefore losing focus on the road ahead.
I don't know what the signal timing would have been, but before you know it lights are flashing and it takes a long time for heavy trucks to pull up.
The 80 hour speed limit idea is perhaps the best, not only does it pull your focus back on to the road ahead but slows you down in readiness to stop.
0 Replies

NettieK

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 05:36 pm
@dadpad,
tut tut dp, never knew you to do anything illegal. Smile

I remember that motorbike too.
0 Replies