Inventions from Down Under

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 07:58 am
What do exploding bullets, furniture casters, soundproof windows, the modern milking machine, black box flight recorders used in airplanes, and the periscope rifle have in common? They were all invented Down Under---in Australia.

BBB
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,164 • Replies: 26
No top replies

msolga

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 08:08 am
.... say nothing of the Hills Hoist, BBB! Very Happy A terrific rotating clothesline which dries the washing like nobody's business! I'd never be without one! :wink:
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 08:14 am
Hills Hoist
msolga wrote:
.... say nothing of the Hills Hoist, BBB! Very Happy A terrific rotating clothesline which dries the washing like nobody's business! I'd never be without one! :wink:

http://www.abc.net.au/dimensions/dimensions_in_time/Transcripts/s785953.htm
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 08:19 am
The hills hoist scarred me for life.

The scarring wasnt from me mum constantly yelling at me not to swing on it, it was from letting go at 30mph and landing in the rose bushes near the chook shed.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 08:21 am
dadpad wrote:
The scarring wasnt from me mum constantly yelling at me not to swing on it, it was from letting go at 30mph and landing in the rose bushes near the chook shed.

What in the world is a chook shed? This is what I found.

http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/2004/archives/2004/pets,_pet_care,_backyard_and_native_animals/building_a_chook_shed

BBB
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 08:28 am
dadpad wrote:

Laughing

Serves you right, dadpad!
You should have listened to your mum!
Naughty boy!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 08:51 am
Australian Firsts and Inventions
Australian Firsts and Inventions

Democratic Firsts:

First place in the world to have a secret ballot in elections (1856)

First Place in the world to give women the vote. (1894)

Legal Firsts:

Torrens Title. An Australian invented the worlds first method of land registration. Now in use by many countries around the world.

Sporting Firsts:

First country in the world to beat America in it America's cup.

Only country to have attended every modern Olympic games.

The first country to employ skiing as a sport. (1863)

The Australian crawl. Until the 1890's competetive freestyle was done with the head out of the water. (Remember how Tarzan used to swim in the movies?) Australian Dick Cavill popularised it and enabled it to be accepted in world class meetings.

Inventions:

The bionic ear, a device that enables some deaf children to hear.

Flexible wine casks... the bag in the box.

The boomerang. Ancient weapon of the aboriginies. Other cultures have throwing sticks but none came back to the thrower if it missed the target.
The Notepad. In the whole history of paper, it had been sold and used in single sheets until in 1902 JA Birchall thought it would be a good idea to stack a pile of half sheets together, back it with cardboard and glue one end.

Making the world's first notepad.

The Electric Drill was the invention of Arthur James Arnot, who patented it in 1889.

Postage stamps. The world's first pre paid postage system was introduced at Sydney in 1838.

The world's first refrigeration plant was an Australian invention of 1858.

To our collective shame, the worlds first bathing beauty contest was held in Australia in 1920.

The famous "black box" flight recorder for recording aeroplane movements was invented in Australia in 1958.

Also in 1958 the worlds first regular 'round the world' airline service was begun.

The inflatable aircraft escape slide, which becomes a raft if the aeroplane ditches in water was an Australian invention of 1965.

The Automatic letter sorting machine - 1930

Two stroke lawn mower.

The rotary hoist washing line.

Lithium as a treatment for manic depression.

Latex gloves 1945

Some sources (including at one time this page!) give Australia the credit for the Xerox photocopying process but was the NOT the case.

Military firsts:

The underwater torpedo, Louis Brennan 1874
The tank (1912 - Lance de Mole)
Paper machine gun belt - dramatically reduced gun jamming while firing.

Biggest:

The largest Island in the world.

The flagpole at Parliament house in Canberra is the largest aluminium object in the world.

Sydney Tower is the highest building in the southern hemisphere.

Kalgoorlie in WA is the worlds largest electorate 2,255,278 sq km

The Australian Labor Party is the oldest surviving labor party in the world. (1891)

The worlds largest cattle property is Strangeray Springs in S.A. over 30,000 sq km
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 06:08 am
Re: Australian Firsts and Inventions
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

YAY! Very Happy

BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Making the world's first notepad.

Really?

BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
The flagpole at Parliament house in Canberra is the largest aluminium object in the world.

Gosh! Amazing! Laughing

... & parliament house has more hot air in it than just about any other public building in the world! Razz
0 Replies

Captain Irrelevant

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 07:46 pm
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

Not true - Australia did not exist as a political entity until 1901.

The first women's suffrage (with the same property qualifications as for men) was granted in New Jersey by the state constitution of 1776 (the word "inhabitants" was used without qualification of sex or race). Since married women did not own property in their own right, only unmarried women and widows qualified. New Jersey women lost the vote in 1807, when the franchise was restricted to white males (partly in order to combat electoral fraud by simplifying the conditions for eligibility). The Pitcairn Islands granted women's suffrage in 1838. Various countries and states granted restricted women's suffrage in the latter half of the nineteenth century, starting with South Australia in 1861. The 1871 Paris Commune granted voting rights to women, but they were taken away with the fall of the Commune and would only be granted again in July 1944 by Charles de Gaulle.

The first unrestricted women's suffrage in terms of voting rights (women were not initially permitted to stand for election) in a self-governing country was granted in New Zealand. Following a movement led by Kate Sheppard, the women's suffrage bill was adopted mere weeks before the general election of 1893.

The first to grant universal suffrage and allow women to stand for parliament was South Australia, in 1894. The Commonwealth of Australia provided this for women in Federal elections from 1902 (except Aboriginal women). The first major European country to introduce women's suffrage was Finland, where women were granted the right both to vote (universal and equal suffrage) and to stand for election in 1905. The world's first female members of parliament were also in Finland, when on 23 May 1906, 19 women took up their places in the Parliament of Finland as a result of the 1905 parliamentary elections. In 1886 the small island kingdom of Tavolara became a republic and was the first country to introduce universal suffrage in its presidential elections.[1] However, in 1895 the monarchy was reinstated, and the kingdom was subsequently annexed by Italy.

American women were pioneers in the women's suffrage cause, advocating votes for women from the 1820s. Some early victories were had in the territories of Wyoming (1869) and Utah (1870), although Utah women were disenfranchised by the U.S. Congress in 1887. The push to grant Utah women's suffrage was at least partially fueled by outsiders' belief that, given the right to vote, Utah women would get rid of polygamy. It was only after Utah women exercised their suffrage rights in favor of polygamy that the U.S. Congress disenfranchised Utah women.

Full wikipedia article
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 08:05 pm
Wow. Australia really has an impressive list of accomplishments. Well done.

And then there's vegemite.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 05:16 am
Captain Irrelevant wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

Not true - Australia did not exist as a political entity until 1901....

Illusion wrecker! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 05:32 pm
Equus wrote:

Americans need lessons in vegemite consumption. They try to eat it like peanut butter, and that's just gross!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 11:44 pm
Eorl wrote:
Equus wrote:

Americans need lessons in vegemite consumption. They try to eat it like peanut butter, and that's just gross!

More than gross! Absolutely foul! <shuddering at the thought>
Moderation is the key - a wee little bit, spread thinly over your buttered toast (or whatever). More of a flavouring, I guess, than a huge, gloopy wack of the stuff!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 12:03 am
Yes - I was going to say that NZ gave women the vote first.

But, of course, then there's Vegemite - one of the REALLY great things!

We're all (with the exception of dlowan) happy little Vegemites.......
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 04:00 pm
Captain Irrelevant wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

Not true - Australia did not exist as a political entity until 1901.

The first women's suffrage (with the same property qualifications as for men) was granted in New Jersey by the state constitution of 1776 (the word "inhabitants" was used without qualification of sex or race). Since married women did not own property in their own right, only unmarried women and widows qualified. New Jersey women lost the vote in 1807, when the franchise was restricted to white males (partly in order to combat electoral fraud by simplifying the conditions for eligibility). The Pitcairn Islands granted women's suffrage in 1838. Various countries and states granted restricted women's suffrage in the latter half of the nineteenth century, starting with South Australia in 1861. The 1871 Paris Commune granted voting rights to women, but they were taken away with the fall of the Commune and would only be granted again in July 1944 by Charles de Gaulle.

The first unrestricted women's suffrage in terms of voting rights (women were not initially permitted to stand for election) in a self-governing country was granted in New Zealand. Following a movement led by Kate Sheppard, the women's suffrage bill was adopted mere weeks before the general election of 1893.

The first to grant universal suffrage and allow women to stand for parliament was South Australia, in 1894. The Commonwealth of Australia provided this for women in Federal elections from 1902 (except Aboriginal women). The first major European country to introduce women's suffrage was Finland, where women were granted the right both to vote (universal and equal suffrage) and to stand for election in 1905. The world's first female members of parliament were also in Finland, when on 23 May 1906, 19 women took up their places in the Parliament of Finland as a result of the 1905 parliamentary elections. In 1886 the small island kingdom of Tavolara became a republic and was the first country to introduce universal suffrage in its presidential elections.[1] However, in 1895 the monarchy was reinstated, and the kingdom was subsequently annexed by Italy.

American women were pioneers in the women's suffrage cause, advocating votes for women from the 1820s. Some early victories were had in the territories of Wyoming (1869) and Utah (1870), although Utah women were disenfranchised by the U.S. Congress in 1887. The push to grant Utah women's suffrage was at least partially fueled by outsiders' belief that, given the right to vote, Utah women would get rid of polygamy. It was only after Utah women exercised their suffrage rights in favor of polygamy that the U.S. Congress disenfranchised Utah women.

Full wikipedia article

1894 was, in fact, South Australia....a state (my state)...of what was soon to become Australia.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 04:15 pm
Quote:
Lance de Mole)
Laughing

Sounds like COUNT de MONET
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 05:31 pm
Sounds more like a procedure for melanoma to me.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 05:40 pm
Eorl wrote:
Sounds more like a procedure for melanoma to me.

Laughing
0 Replies

Eve

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 10:38 pm
Those flaming Aussies! They are always trying to steal what is ours! New Zealand definitely was the first country to give women the vote.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 10:57 pm
I hear the law was passed the day after NZ women started burning their bras...?
0 Replies