Whats the point?

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 07:52 am
Whats the point in doing anything?, what is the greatest goal?, The ultimate acheivment?, If god doesn't exist then all of humanity will cease to exist with the universe in a few billion years, So what is the point in doing anything other than enjoying ourselfs?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,291 • Replies: 21
No top replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 07:55 am
sex drugs, and rock n roll. the things in life that are the most fun!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 08:26 am
It's only the sun that will be gone in a few billion years. The universe has a long, long time to go on after the sun isn't even a memory any more. As for humans, we evolve a lot faster than that. Anything with any level of complexity will be surpassed long before a billion or even, most likely, a million years, have gone by.

The point is -- be happy, be healthy, be kind. In any order you prefer.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 08:41 am
AND JUST THINK, ALL YOUR HARD WORK IS REALLY ONLY BENIFITING YOUR CHILDRENS CHILDREN! Smile
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 03:33 pm
Well, if you wonder that, you could also ask yourself: "What is the point of continuing my life, since evidently every action of mine is eventually doomed to insignificance? Why not kill myself right now, to give people who seem to get more purpose out of life then I can a better chance of survival?" I don't have any clearcut answrs, except the on Jespah gave.
If you fail to see the significance of the individual, look at the significance of the whole. There is no telling what humanity can/will achieve in the coming centuries/millenia. But whatever they achieve, whatever we achieve, it would not have been possible if not for the work and dedication of our ancestors. We may pave the way for a better future, a way only to be completed after many generations have passed laboring at it.

Naj.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 04:24 am
Re: Whats the point?
molesgallus wrote:
Whats the point in doing anything?, what is the greatest goal?, The ultimate acheivment?

There isn't one, there isn't one, there isn't one.

Quote:
If god doesn't exist then all of humanity will cease to exist with the universe in a few billion years, So what is the point in doing anything other than enjoying ourselfs?

There isn't one. There's no ultimate point in doing anything, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do anything. In fact, you don't have a choice... if you lie in bed all day, you're still doing something, or if you kill yourself that's doing something too.

There's no point in getting out of bed or going to work or being ethical, but there's no point in being cruel or killing yourself either. Don't bother thinking in terms of there being a point to life. You won't find one (not a real one), and you don't necessarily need one.

Life can still be a complete joy, at times, so it's worth living for its own sake if you can fill it with enjoyable stuff. And you can look at the pointlessness of life as a good thing... there's nothing you have to do, and nobody you have to be, so you can do anything you like. You could be happy, healthy and kind if you want to be. Or you could be unhappy, unhealthy and unkind if you prefer - or neither.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 04:28 am
Think of all the people/ancestors that slogged their guts out to give us what we have nowadays!!

Try not to analyze life.
Your born, you die, fill in the middle.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 05:54 am
material girl wrote:
Think of all the people/ancestors that slogged their guts out to give us what we have nowadays!!

Why? What does that achieve?

Quote:
Try not to analyze life.

Why not? What if it's fun and interesting to analyse life?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 06:39 am
agrote wrote:
material girl wrote:

Why? What does that achieve?

It provides perspective.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 06:53 am
Somebody asked what the point is of us slogging our guts out now.I just felt that if our ancestors hadnt worked hard we wouldnt have what we have now.

Ive found if you analyze life you will go nuts.
Youll wonder why good things happen to bad people and bad things happen to good people, theres no rationality, just mental chaos.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 09:59 am
material girl wrote:
Ive found if you analyze life you will go nuts.
Youll wonder why good things happen to bad people and bad things happen to good people, theres no rationality, just mental chaos.

If learning the truth means going nuts, then maybe going nuts could be a good thing?

I don't think there are 'good people' and 'bad people' - there are just 'people'. So there's no great mystery there. The question becomes, "why do things happen to people?" That seems easier to answer.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 10:06 am
Re: Whats the point?
molesgallus wrote:
Whats the point in doing anything?, what is the greatest goal?, The ultimate acheivment?

From a personal perspective, the point in doing anything is whatever you choose to make it.

From a Darwinian perspective the point in your doing anything is to survive and procreate.

... but I hope you didn't start this thread believing that the universe owes you a point in life?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 10:27 am
I think that it is always a good thing to question the purpose and meaning of life. The fact that we may never settle on a definite answer is actually to our benefit. Our lives can be enriched simply through the act of questioning such issues.
0 Replies

flakker

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 08:48 pm
Quote:
Whats the point in doing anything?, what is the greatest goal?, The ultimate acheivment?, If god doesn't exist then all of humanity will cease to exist with the universe in a few billion years, So what is the point in doing anything other than enjoying ourselfs?

theres no point in doing anything but you will do it and are still gonna do it for the sake of doing it because you like it and want to do it. got it?

i didnt think so
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 07:32 pm
jespah wrote:
It's only the sun that will be gone in a few billion years. The universe has a long, long time to go on after the sun isn't even a memory any more. As for humans, we evolve a lot faster than that. Anything with any level of complexity will be surpassed long before a billion or even, most likely, a million years, have gone by.

The point is -- be happy, be healthy, be kind. In any order you prefer.

Very well put; so stipulated.
David
0 Replies

Captain Irrelevant

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 07:49 pm
He with the most toys at the end wins.

Hey! I ordered a CHEESEBURGER!
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 11:13 pm
wandeljw wrote:

Quote:
I think that it is always a good thing to question the purpose and meaning of life
Upon what evidence
did u reach that conclusion ?

Quote:
The fact that we may never settle on a definite answer
is actually to our benefit.
How will that benefit us ?
If we settle on a definite answer,
will that harm us ?

Quote:

Our lives can be enriched simply through the act of questioning such issues.

How can thay be enriched by so doing ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 11:15 pm
Captain Irrelevant wrote:
Quote:
He with the most toys at the end wins.

Yes; 'tis so.

Quote:
Hey! I ordered a CHEESEBURGER!

What kind of cheese ?
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 04:39 am
What's the point in typing in Bold?

It makes you sound like an idiot.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 05:04 am
agrote[quote] wrote:
What's the point in typing in Bold?
It makes it eazier to see
and draws attention to that more easily;
Y do u object to it ?

Quote:
It makes you sound like an idiot.

U r in error.

If I write 2 + 2 = 4, that sounds equally right or rong,
whether the size is big medium or small.

Do u believe advertizing signs depending on how big or small
the type is written ?
David
0 Replies