Bad Grades? Sue the teacher!

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2002 09:38 pm
Apparently, if one's child is flunking in school, the current solution to the problem is to threaten to sue the school/teacher/et.al.

http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2002/07/12/parents_rule/

I know people in this country are suit-happy, but this is a bit much!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,109 • Replies: 12
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2002 11:22 pm
I notice the lawsuit raised no educational issues. The issue, and the only issue, was the grade. With an attitude like that, it's a wonder the kid didn't flunk out.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2002 11:25 pm
Well, at least we know she inherited the attitude.

I was particularly interested in the one where the parents sued when the teacher took away the kid's yoyo. Now if ever there were a case for psychological harm...
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2002 07:45 pm
Every year on my locker in the teachers' room, I used to put up a yellowed editorial cartoon that showed students standing on a K-12 escalator that carried them right up with no stops and dropped them off the top into the real world. That's the way it's pretty much been for YEARS!

Even today, my classes are FULL of students who shouldn't be in high school. Somehow, they always manage to 'get by' by doing enough to get to the next year. The whole thing is a joke.

Attendance policy in my school: 8 absences, the student MAY lose credit for the course. (With our block scheduling, that would = 16 absences in schools with classes that meet daily.) I currently have one girl who has already missed 16 days (32), but there are 'issues' that will assure things will be worked out. (Of course, the 'issues' haven't stopped her from full-time work at Wal-Mart.) I think I have yet to have a student denied credit.

I don't want to answer embarrassing questions because I can't. The system is dishonest and means little, but on it goes.

(Years ago, there was a student who sued because he got a diploma and couldn't read - maybe we need more of that!)

Sorry if I ramble - I get a bit steamed!
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2002 08:05 pm
Rambling is perfectly acceptable and understandable. 'Tis a sad state of affairs.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2002 11:33 am
Simulation is the key word in many parts of the world.

When the important things are the statistics and the budget that comes with them, and not the students, you end up a beautiful educational facade that hides ugly realities.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2002 07:30 pm
I'm not even sure we still have the beautiful facade.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2002 07:37 pm
Several years ago, a first year medical student at a well-known Boston Medical School, flunked biochemistry 5 times. Since biochemistry is a required course, and the student seemed unable to pass the course, the Medical School expelled the student.

The school had done everything to help the student. Tutoring and special test stituations, etc.

Well...the student was very unhappy about flunking out of med school. So, he hired a lawyer and they took this case to the US Supreme Court.

Guess what? HE LOST!
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2002 08:00 pm
Glad to hear that, New Haven. Trouble is, most public school systems would rather avoid the battle (and it's costs) by giving in than fight for principles.
0 Replies

MisterEThoughts

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 04:16 pm
Wow, this is truely amazing I just think that parents should be more envolved and it will work out in both ways.
0 Replies

HSUcowboy

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 01:22 pm
Both of my parents are teachers, and I'm a little suprised about this sueing issue. I've never heard anything like this. It doesn't suprise me that people would sue over something stupid like that. If a kid has been given enough chances they can pass the course. It's not the teachers fault.
I'm not just saying that because my parents are teachers, but that's just the way it is.
Unfortunately, where my parents work, teachers try to flunk kids, it's like a way to 'keep score' among the staff, it's ridiculous.

The school system is in place to help kids get an education and to help prepare them for the real world.
These days, people are just too lazy to work for their education and take the easy way out.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 02:44 pm
I really really don't want to offend anyone, especially since most of the people in this topic are reasonable and smart - but I just wanted to ask are you people aware that all world is histerically laughing because of american lawsuits. I suppose there is no newspaper in Europe without some american lawsuits in "bizzare" sections (actually, problem is not lawsuits, I suppose every idiot is entitled to sue for whatever he or she wants, problem is WINNING incredibly bizarre lawsuits - one of my recent favourites is lady that tried to commit suicide by jumping under train - she did a lousy job and because quick reaction of "driver" /I am not sure what is english word for "driver" of train/ she was just severely injured /which is great when you jump under train of course/ - later she filed lawsuit claiming that he could react even quicker and that company is responsible for her injuries /she, that tried to kill herself by jumping under that exact train!!?/ - she won - not couple of millions she requested, but more then decent sum of some 300,000 $ if I recall correctly). This school lawsuit is also something beyond belief - just like group of ladies in small town that sue museum for having ANCIENT ROMAN STATUE with male genitals exposed like all ancient roman statues, guys burned when using preparate for cleaning rugs because "letters on it warning that it's not allowed to use it outdoors were too small", wife of this guy that killed few of his co-workers and then was also killed by police or security or something and now she sues company because he died on his working place...

I mean, what is going on with all that? Can't you really as society stop such things? Bizarre lawsuits probably happen everywhere, but in USA it's not even bizarre anymore, it's normal
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 03:36 pm
I just finished four books (I rarely read nonfiction, but....). The Language Police, The Case Against Lawyers, The Death of Common Sense, and The Death of the Common Good. Boy, were they eye-openers. They put into words the why behind all of the lawsuits, etc.

Where everyone now has individual standards, real standards cease to exist. Since anyone can (and often does) sue anyone, no one wants to make decisions any more, etc., etc. It makes me sick and convinces me to keep my mouth even more tightly shut at work!
0 Replies