TEHRAN'S TRANSRAPID PLANS

noinipo

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 09:44 pm
The train will be a great improvement for the pilgrims. Amazing how much money is available for a religious ceremony in a country that has economical problems.
May 29, 2007
TEHRAN'S TRANSRAPID PLANS
German Magnetic Train for Iranian Pilgrims
Iran is planning to build a magnetic elevated train line linking Tehran and an important pilgrimage site. It has asked a Munich-based engineering firm to prepare a feasiblity study.
The Iranian government is prepared to finance the project to the tune of $1.5 billion in start-up capital. The new train line would transport between 12 and 15 million pilgrims a year from the capital to Mashhad in the north east of the country. While the ardouous journey is currently only possible by taking buses for two days, a Transrapid link would cut the journey time down to between two and three hours.
The Transrapid elevated monorail train is propelled at speeds of up to 450 km/h (270 mph) by a frictionless electromagnetic system.
http://news.monstersandcritics.com/europe/news/article_1310726.php/Iran_considering_maglev_train_link_for_pilgrims

http://www.iranonline.com/iran/iran-info/economy/index.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 548 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 11:38 pm
German Magnetic Train for Iranian Pilgrims:

Quote:
[...]
The Iran project's origins lie in business contacts that were struck during a visit to Tehran by the former Bavarian economics minister Otto Wiesheu in May 2004, Süddeutsche Zeitung reports. Wiesheu, who is now a member of the management board at Deutsche Bahn, said the Iran project is still at a very early stage. "Iran is undoubtedly a difficult country," he told the newspaper. "But I hope that the circumstances and the international relations will improve once more," referring to the country's controversial nuclear program.
[...]
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 11:52 pm
I suppose I wish it would be a more general transportation thing (I suppose I wish good transportation here too). Reading along...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 07:18 am
The motivation may be religious, but Allah will only be getting tithe money from the wages paid to the builders.
0 Replies