Is the military draft in the US's future? 4500 GIs to Liberi

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 10:08 am
washingtonpost.com
4,500 U.S. Troops Might Head to Liberia
By PAULINE JELINEK - The Associated Press
Monday, July 21, 2003; 11:36 AM

WASHINGTON - Some 4,500 more American sailors and Marines have been ordered to position themselves closer to Liberia to be ready for possible duty in the embattled West African nation, officials said Monday.

Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld signed a deployment order over the weekend sending a three-ship amphibious ready group from its position off the Horn of Africa into the Mediterranean Sea, defense officials said. That would put the group in a position to get to the west coast of Africa faster, if needed for an evacuation of Americans, peacekeeping or some other mission.

Meanwhile, the U.S. Embassy in the Liberian capital of Monrovia was hit by mortar fire Monday, and U.S. officials in Washington said a number of building in the complex had been hit by gunfire, though they believe the embassy itself is not a target.

With the weekend deployment order, it would take the amphibious group several days to get into the Mediterranean, where it would await further orders, Pentagon officials said. From there, it would take seven to 10 days to get to Liberia, if ordered to do so, officials said.

There are 2,000 Marines and 2,500 sailors in the group, led by the USS Iwo Jima, which has been in the Horn of Africa region as part of the global war on terrorism.

Some 200 Americans already have been sent to Liberia and nearby countries since African nations and the United Nations asked for U.S. help.

On a request from the U.S. Ambassador John W. Blaney, 41 Marines were sent Sunday to Monrovia to reinforce security at the American Embassy in the war-shattered capital.

There are 32 other Americans in Liberia from two teams sent to assess the humanitarian needs and the military situation. President Bush has said their report will help him decide how to respond to calls for Americans to lead a peacekeeping force made up partly of African troops.

The report was submitted to officials late last week, but its details have not been publicly disclosed.

There also are 100 Americans in neighboring countries standing by with aircraft as transportation or for possible evacuation of the assessment teams.

The Bush administration doesn't want to send peacekeepers until Liberian President Charles Taylor steps down. Liberians, Taylor, and leaders from a number of countries have called for the United States to send some 2,000 troops to lead the force in Liberia, founded in the 19th century by freed American slaves.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,337 • Replies: 14
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 10:28 am
Sounds like it's goodbye rotation for our troops in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Liberia. Anybody else out there gonna volunteer for the US military service? c.i.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 10:32 am
Sure they will c.i. If you have ever heard of the Army's FTA Club, the initials stand for Fun, Travel, and Adventure. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 11:34 am
More like F***d often, Transferred to a hell hole, and Accidental death. c.i.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 11:46 am
Aside from the point of this thread -- I would simply like to say that I considered Universal Military Service to be an excellent idea -- and it certainly would not bother me if it were re-introduced.

Too bad about the circumstances, though, and I really hope we are rid of this bunch with the next election.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 08:42 am
The nations forces are made up of the National Guard, Reserves and active duty volunteers. IMO the National Guard and Reserves are going to go lacking for recruits. These are people who have lives out of the military and whose livelihood does not depend on it. IMO The constant and long term callups and disruptions will dissuade people from joining.
Will that result in the need for the reintroduction of the draft? Possibly.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 09:00 am
This administration has wreaked havoc on everything they touch. It would really surprise me to see an increase in the voluntary military services from now on, but I've been wrong before. Anybody out there want to become a target for the guerrillas of Iraq? c.ii.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 09:14 am
roger

That reminds me of the fact that I had joined for 18 month with Germany's biggest touring operator at that time: the Federal Navy. :wink:
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 09:33 am
Then you probably know what FTA really stands for, Walter.

Close c.i., but no cigar. Your rendition is actually more appropriate than the original.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 01:35 pm
I thought so, anyway! c.i.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 11:56 am
Hmmm ... my reaction is that if the United State suffer from imperial overstretch, the obvious solution is to reduce the stretching rather than inflate the military sector with a draft.

But maybe this is just wishful thinking. I think of the draft as temporary slavery, and the fact that America has abolishd it and my country hasn't is one of the reason I'm looking up to your country. It would be a shame to see this peculiar institution reintroduced by the Bush Administration, though it certainly wouldn't be below them.

-- Thomas
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 02:52 pm
Based on some of Rumsfelds musing of late concerning the makeup of the armed service. Specifically active duty Vs reserves and national guard I get the impression that active duty forces need to be strengthened. Having both experience in both, I must agree with the sophistication of today's weaponry the training of both the National guard and Reserves is inadequate. I would further suggest that because of uncertainly and constant activation the Reserves and Nat Guard enlistment's will suffer dramatically.
I would suspect if the ranks of the regular services cannot be filled by enlistment the draft may very well have to be reintroduced.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 12:46 am
A friend of mine from Basic Training, whom I have kept in touch with over the years, is currently doing a tour as a recruiter, and has said that the number of "unacceptable applicants ( i.e felony convictions, drug use, or just plain crazy)" has risen, but that it is much harder to interest qualified people to enlist. Another acquaintance, who is a recruiter for the Maryland Army Guard has told me similar things. They used to do a bang up job at the campus of U. of Maryland College Park,and U. of Maryland Baltimore County,as well as Towson and some of the other area schools. It seems like easy money; go get muddy for a weekend and have the Guard reimburse your tuition! Now it doesn't seem like such a bargain; Dodge bullets,and if you survive, have the Guard maybe reimburse your tuition, if the budget is there. Rolling Eyes
Personally I'm glad my reserve commitment ended prior to the "stop-loss" of 2001!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 03:08 am
hobitbob wrote:
It seems like easy money; go get muddy for a weekend and have the Guard reimburse your tuition! Now it doesn't seem like such a bargain; Dodge bullets,and if you survive, have the Guard maybe reimburse your tuition, if the budget is there. Rolling Eyes

I agree that sucks from the recruitees' point of view, but in terms of defense policy that's wonderful! What better way to curb adventures in faraway countries which the US has no business messing around in? Unlike some in this thread, I fail to see how a draft would improve anything.

-- T.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 10:52 am
Bush nominates new Selective Service Director
The White House - 8/5/03
Personnel Anouncement

President George W. Bush today announced his intention to nominate an individual to serve in his administration:

The President intends to nominate William A. Chatfield of Texas, to be the Director of Selective Service. Chatfield is currently a Government Relations Consultant with Kindness and Chatfield Associates, in Washington, D.C. He previously served as Special Assistant to the Commissioner of the Interstate Commerce Commission and Special Assistant to the Chairman of the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Earlier in his career, Chatfield served as an active duty Marine, and currently serves in the Marine Corps Reserves. He is a graduate of American University.
0 Replies