Greatest Inventions of the past 2,000 years

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 03:22 pm
Beer has been around for much longer than 2000 years. It ranks as one of the greatest inventions of all times.
0 Replies

jpowell

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 05:22 am
iPod

..it changed my life..

Also, some props to Adam Smith.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 05:57 am
Hmmm. 2000 years ago, maybe more like 2500, somebody took a right triangle and wrapped it around a pole, then traced the line that the hypotonus made. A spiral, rising or falling as it turned, a pretty thing. And as it turns out a pretty useful thing eventually. Archimedes made a pump out of the thing, and one could use it to raise and lower pieces in geared machines but that was just the start.

About 1000 before our present day, a French blacksmith, looking for a way to join plates of armor, made a little twisted thing with a slot on it's top for turning. The screw. Now, not only could you join things together, you could take them apart, and put them back together over and over. The screw, followed about 300 years later by the bolt and nut, joined together the beginning of the earliest stages of the Industrial Revolution.

And all those other things were held together by the screw.

==
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 06:02 am
patiodog wrote:
Hmmm. The link doesn't work for me, but I nominate plumbing (which the Chinese had first, naturally).

Ever seen the Discovery Channel shorts about ancient Chinese inventions? Seems like they did nearly everything first.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 06:06 am
Algis.Kemezys wrote:
most inventions were made by the Scotch

Yeah, copper wire was invented by two Scotsman fighting over a penny!
0 Replies