M. Scott Peck- 4 stages of faith.

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 07:30 pm
Well, I am bemused on how four could be different than two...

His religiousness and spirituality differ significantly from that of a Stage II person, in the sense that he does not accept things through blind faith but does so because of genuine belief. Stage IV people are labelled as mystics.

Twaddle. Genuine faith instead of now-realized #2 stage not-yet-genuine faith.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 01:10 pm
Quote:
This guy is a crock. He presumes a single path of human enquiry, and presumes to know the true nature of the universe. He's as bad a con artist as a priest!

Ok Eorl, thats interesting. It is evident that no one-persons path is the same as anothers. I forgot that though, in my exitement discovering of this new information, because his 4 stages draw a complete parallel with my life. Or are you just irritated that you are on stage 3 not 4? Haha.

Quote:

Well, I am bemused on how four could be different than two...

His religiousness and spirituality differ significantly from that of a Stage II person, in the sense that he does not accept things through blind faith but does so because of genuine belief. Stage IV people are labelled as mystics.

Twaddle. Genuine faith instead of now-realized #2 stage not-yet-genuine faith.

O-
I think what Scott Peck is stating is that where as stage 2 is blind faith, following for the sake of following- if I can give an example of a member on here, I can't remember his name, but he was from a religious familly in the deep south, and he couldn't really defend any of his opinions- he had a 'because it is' kind of an attitude.
Anyway- where as stage 4 is re-evaluated and assessed faith. Such as maybe Neologist, or Bella Dea?
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 01:27 pm
Fowler's stages of faith interests me. Never saw that before!

Frankly, much easier to listen to than this Beck's character. It's interesting as far as getting his perception of his own experiences as an individual.
Simply going from what was presented here and a quick Google journey, my general impression is Ugh.

There is a lot missing. That is the best way I could describe it as of now.

To each their own I suppose.
0 Replies

brother

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 10:37 pm
@Eorl,
it is arbitrary whether stage 3 or stage 4 comes first -- it's not a competition -- he just wrote some terms down that we can use to describe the personality-changes in the development of spiritually-oriented thought-processes. that's how the soft-sciences work--you can't put thoughts and ideas into a box or an equation, so people come up with methods and systems to describe the thoughts they are having--so they can communicate ideas; don't worry about it -- you should learn to entertain ideas without feeling the need to accept or reject them.
0 Replies

brother

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 10:37 pm
@JPB,
this is awesome
0 Replies