New weed may flag land mines.

noinipo

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 09:22 pm
God, how I wish this will speed up mine searching. Mines are the worst weapons on earth. Any country that still uses them is criminal.
New weed may flag land mines.
A weed that turns red when it grows near land mines could help clear dangerous fields in war-torn countries such as Bosnia, Iraq, and Afghanistan. The genetically modified Thales cress is sensitive to nitrogen dioxide, a byproduct of mines, and changes from green to red when the gas is present in soil.
Currently, mines can be detected only by human or canine probing. Scientists hope the plant will show where the land mines are so they can be removed safely, greatly reducing fatalities and injuries among those who hunt for mines and the unsuspecting public.
Danish biotechnology company Aresa Biodetection, which is creating the genetically altered plant, hopes to start selling it within a few years, after researchers complete field tests on its effectiveness.
Lab results so far look promising, says Simon Oestergaard, chief executive of Aresa. He envisions that the plant will be used mostly to clear fields suitable for farming. "The main target of this product is soil that will be used for different agricultural activities," he says.
Some 110 million land mines are hidden in 45 countries. Many of them have been buried for years. It will cost $33 billion to remove them and take 1,100 years under present demining rates, according to the United Nations. It estimates that governments spend $200 million to $300 million on the removal and detection of 10,000 mines each year.
In addition, the Red Cross estimates that 26,000 people are killed or injured each year by leftover mines. Large areas, as much as 40 percent of all land in Cambodia and 90 percent in Angola, go unused because of land mines.
Currently, explosives experts remove mines by putting a stick into the ground to locate them. They then excavate and detonate them. They also use dogs and metal detectors, but these approaches can be dangerous: For every 5,000 mines removed, one explosive expert is killed and two others are seriously injured, according to the Vietnam Veterans Foundation of America.
http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/0219/p11s01-stss.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 636 • Replies: 14
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 02:54 am
Countries that manufacture landmines include: Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, China, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Hungary, India, Israel, Italy, the Netherlands, North Korea, Pakistan, Portugal, Russia, South Africa, Spain, U.K., U.S., Vietnam and Zimbabwe.
0 Replies

noinipo

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 07:26 am
That is the big problem with mines. They don't know that the war is over. Like a retired soldier who shoots people at random long after the war.
A steel rod is by far the slowest way of clearing mine fields.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 07:32 am
The big problem with land mines is that they are continued to be manufactured.

One solution may be to make manufacturers responsible for their removal. Similar to toxic waste
0 Replies

noinipo

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 05:53 pm
Imagine you work in a factory and make 25 000 a year. You get by but life is not very smooth.
Somebody approaches you and offers you 60 000 if you work for him. Now you find out that he makes landmines.
Would you take the job? I wouldn't even if I was down and out.
How many of you would do it?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 06:22 pm
Naive question: how are they going to sow this weed? In mine-infested fields? In Africa, or even Bosnia?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 07:24 pm
noinipo wrote:
Imagine you work in a factory and make 25 000 a year. You get by but life is not very smooth.
Somebody approaches you and offers you 60 000 if you work for him. Now you find out that he makes landmines.
Would you take the job? I wouldn't even if I was down and out.
How many of you would do it?

I might, then look for the opportunity to deactivate some of the production.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 07:51 pm
nimh wrote:
Naive question: how are they going to sow this weed? In mine-infested fields? In Africa, or even Bosnia?

airplanes?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 08:02 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
nimh wrote:

airplanes?

Bit expensive for y'r local Liberian community, isnt it?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 08:03 pm
I mean, glad to hear about this new technique, all progress is progress, just wondering about the practicalties..
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 08:07 pm
yeah, i doubt it will get far. what about places like angola, where something like 80% of the country is infested with landmines? even airplanes wouldn't do the trick.
0 Replies

noinipo

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 05:48 am
nimh, you don't have much faith in scientists. I am sure that they have the application all worked out. It is always astonishing how many people there are who immediately say no to any new idea.
In Vietnam the helicopter pilots complained that, between trips with wounded to the MASH, filling the tank took too long and the wounded were waiting at the battle field.
The expert mechanics said "can't be done" and that was that. Some weirdo general in the Pentagon picked four intelligent people with common sense to deal with the problem. One mathematics prof, one president of a small factory, one football coach and one sculptor.
They went to Vietnam and looked at the problem.
Solution: make the intake hole bigger, make the gasnozzle bigger, make the hoses thicker.
Instead of a 20 minute wait between trips with wounded, they now had a five minute wait. Problem solved, many wounded saved from bleeding to death.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 06:45 am
Noinipo,

Can you enlighten me how this:

nimh wrote:
I mean, glad to hear about this new technique, all progress is progress, just wondering about the practicalties..

in your mind turns to this:

noinipo wrote:
nimh, you don't have much faith in scientists. [..] It is always astonishing how many people there are who immediately say no to any new idea.

Question
0 Replies

noinipo

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 02:56 pm
Sorry nimh
0 Replies

malek

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 03:05 pm
It's probaby a ground covering weed, that will spread rapidly. Hope so, anyway.
My question would be something along the lines of whether it will have enough moisture to flourish in quite a few of the Countries that are strewn with mines. I'm thinking about the areas that have severe drought, etc.

Brilliant idea though.
0 Replies