Luck: yes or no

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 09:47 am
Do you believe in "Luck?" Why yes, why no.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 817 • Replies: 15
No top replies

material girl

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 09:48 am
Everything is 50-50.Good things happen to bad people, bad things happen to good people etc.
I believe in Karma,if I do something good then something good will happen to me..hopefully.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 07:39 am
I believe in luck in the sense that a person can inadverently affect situations according to what frame of mind he greets the situation with. Like when you find some money in a street people have been walking through all day.

But I think that as soon as all the variables are numbers, luck is a matter of random chance. How we approach the situation, for instance a lottery, has no bearing on the outcome. On the other hand, a person who feels lucky might be tempted to play the lottery, while one who feels unlucky would not, so it is the one who feels lucky who has a chance of winning.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 07:52 am
The best way that I've heard luck described is nothing more than probability taken personally.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 07:53 am
Luck is real, people. It walks among us.
0 Replies

lostnsearching

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 08:04 am
Depends on what you mean by luck...

If luck is what fates brings you...I don't see anything about beliefs or disbeliefs

If luck is...

Cyracuz wrote:
I believe in luck in the sense that a person can inadverently affect situations according to what frame of mind he greets the situation with. Like when you find some money in a street people have been walking through all day.

But I think that as soon as all the variables are numbers, luck is a matter of random chance. How we approach the situation, for instance a lottery, has no bearing on the outcome. On the other hand, a person who feels lucky might be tempted to play the lottery, while one who feels unlucky would not, so it is the one who feels lucky who has a chance of winning.

...could be luck

However, blaming something about your life/day on luck (good or bad)...
that sort of luck...I do NOT believe in...It's your own personal effort that makes it so...

If you say you got 'lucky' in your exam...that wasn't luck it was your effort...

If you say "Luck isn't with me"...
I suggest you're not trying hard enough...

What 'sort' of luck do you mean?

Oh and

Quote:
Luck is real, people. It walks among us.

Very Happy ... that sounds really sweet to me and i really don't know why...
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 08:13 am
LUCK? another word for it: "probabilities"

luck=math=real
Yes i believe in luck. it's real!

luck could be described as our tendency to explain the things that happen to us when they are actually just probabilities. Something bad happens we think its "bad" luck, when its actually neutral.The same can be said for good luck. Its all random.
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 04:47 am
there is no such thing as luck.

probability, yes. luck, no.

lucky coincidences may appear as luck at the time, but are just God's plan and purpose for your life.

when it comes to gambling, luck is just a word used to describe somebody who has overcome the very unlikely chance of somebody winning.
0 Replies

lostnsearching

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 05:01 am
rockpie wrote:
lucky coincidences may appear as luck at the time, but are just God's plan and purpose for your life.

In that case, what ARE 'lucky coincidences'?
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 05:08 am
if a child is in front of an oncoming train, then the train driver faints, which applies the emergency breaks and saves the child.

this is an example of a ''lucky'' coincidence.

for people who see things through the eyes of the world, this would appear as just luck. but for those seeing through spiritual eyes, God has saved the child through an apparent coincidence, because He has a plan and a purpose for this child.
0 Replies

lostnsearching

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 05:17 am
you mean a 'positive' happening?

Quote:
but for those seeing through spiritual eyes, God has saved the child through an apparent coincidence, because He has a plan and a purpose for this child.

you mean 'fate'?

where's luck? Confused
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 05:21 am
what i'm saying is that most people would see, as you put it fate, as being luck. a random occurance with no real meaning or significance.
0 Replies

lostnsearching

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 05:29 am
so it's all just a matter of your personal views or opinions?... Even though I agree with your PoV.. I still don't understand: 'what "is" Luck?' ... If we categorize it under our own individual judgements then... the word has no true meaning or foundation?
0 Replies

lostnsearching

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 05:30 am
rockpie wrote:
a random occurance with no real meaning or significance.

oopsie... didn't read properly Embarrassed
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 02:33 am
luck is what you make it. hence the saying, make your own luck. see?
0 Replies

lostnsearching

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 07:33 am
A matter of perception--- just like (almost) every other concept....

yes, I see! Smile
0 Replies