Kosovo builds statue to 'saviour' Clinton

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 09:27 am
Kosovo builds statue to 'saviour' Clinton
24/05/2007
Telegraph UK

Photo: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/05/24/wclinton24.xml

Kosovo Albanians plan to honour their "saviour" Bill Clinton by erecting a statue of the former United States president in the capital of Serbia's breakaway province.

Izeir Mustafa was thrilled to be asked to sculpt a statue of Bill Clinton

The 10ft tall monument is still under construction in a studio in Podujevo, 40km north of Pristina. "He is our saviour. He saved us from extermination," Izeir Mustafa, the sculptor, said. "I was thrilled by the work because I know what he did for us."

Kosovo has been under UN administration since 1999 after 78 days of Nato bombing ousted Serb troops who had killed some 10,000 ethnic Albanians in an 18-month counter-insurgency war against Albanian separatist guerrillas. Mr Clinton, as leader of the Nato alliance at the time, is seen as the man who decided to bomb Serbia to force the late Slobodan Milosevic to withdraw his forces from Kosovo, effectively handing victory to the Kosovo Liberation Army.

Pristina already has a road named after the former president, graced by a 25ft tall mural. Pristina municipal authorities say that they expect to erect the statue somewhere along Clinton Boulevard later this summer.

Mustafa has several more days to work before he dips the Clinton sculpture in bronze, after which he will turn his attention to another soon-to-be former Western leader. "I definitely will do a statue of Tony Blair," he said. "He saved us as well."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 432 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 03:11 pm
Good for Kosovo.

I certainly don't begrudge Clinton his statue, but I would prefer that they built a monument to America in general and it's military men and women who did the actual saving.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 01:19 pm
Clinton took the step to help Kosovo against the advice of the military. He stuck his neck out and deserves praise. His worst mistake was not helping the people in Rwanda, and he admits this.

Blair deserves praise for Kosovo too. Unfortunately, he made a huge blunder by following Bush into Iraq. The Labour Party saved itself only by forcing Blair out.

As for the current administration, it will probably be the Iranians who build a statue of Bush, considering all he's done for them.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 09:53 pm
coluber2001 wrote:
Clinton took the step to help Kosovo against the advice of the military. He stuck his neck out and deserves praise. His worst mistake was not helping the people in Rwanda, and he admits this.

Blair deserves praise for Kosovo too. Unfortunately, he made a huge blunder by following Bush into Iraq. The Labour Party saved itself only by forcing Blair out.

As for the current administration, it will probably be the Iranians who build a statue of Bush, considering all he's done for them.

He (Clinton) failed humanity in his lack of response to Rwanda, BUT he said he was sorry so it is all cool.

You leftist clowns don't realize your bleeding hearts have more of a kinship with neo-cons that with all the cynical realists and vapid politicians of rebuke,
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 09:57 pm
coluber2001 wrote:
His worst mistake was not helping the people in Rwanda, and he admits this.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
He (Clinton) failed humanity in his lack of response to Rwanda, BUT he said he was sorry so it is all cool.

Funny how you had to change the statement so you could attack it. Arguing against a point that you wish had been made instead of against what has actually been posted - I'm sure that's a logical fallacy. What was the name of that one again?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 10:06 pm
http://www.treemo.com/files/treemo.desiree.17711.dd.jpg
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 10:13 pm
old europe wrote:
coluber2001 wrote:
His worst mistake was not helping the people in Rwanda, and he admits this.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Funny how you had to change the statement so you could attack it. Arguing against a point that you wish had been made instead of against what has actually been posted - I'm sure that's a logical fallacy. What was the name of that one again?

A bit of knowledge (in this case as respects rhetoric) is a dangerous thing.

As much as you might wish to repeat an argument you read in some debate periodical, coluber's statement is essentially the same as mine.

I'm happy to attack coluber's original statement (as I have done), I am simply loath to resort to repeating it verbatim. A fundamental principle of inntelligent expression.

Shooting blanks is hardly bound to harm anyone, no matter how much firepower you think you are weilding.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 07:53 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
As much as you might wish to repeat an argument you read in some debate periodical, coluber's statement is essentially the same as mine.

Hardly.

"He was wrong and he admits this" Not Equal "he was wrong but he said he was sorry so it is all cool".

Old Europe is spot on, again..

In the meantime, good for Kosovo, indeed. And good for Clinton too. He did proceed even while many of Finn's Republicans were screaming bloody murder at the decision, after all..
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 12:02 am
nimh wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Hardly.

"He was wrong and he admits this" Not Equal "he was wrong but he said he was sorry so it is all cool".

Old Europe is spot on, again..

In the meantime, good for Kosovo, indeed. And good for Clinton too. He did proceed even while many of Finn's Republicans were screaming bloody murder at the decision, after all..

The operative term is "essentially."

Clearly 1234K doesn't equal 1234J. However, we may draw conclusions about the equivalence of K and J that are based on intent.

It is not, at all, far fetched to conclude that the comment that Clinton made a mistake but admitted it it is tantamount to a an expression of forgiveness for his mistake.

Old Europe is not at all spot on. There was no need to jigger coluber's argument to fit my retort, it invited it.

In the meantime good for Clinton indeed. Find a comment where I begrudged his honorific. I simply stated that the good that America does is not limited to its leaders. Clinton, like Bush, never made a personal sacrifice for his military adventurism. Liberals like to think that Clinton was pure in his concern for Kosovo while Bush is soiled by all sorts of personal interests in invading Iraq, but this is a foolish, and clearly partisan, calculus.

Contrary to your overly broad, and consistent, take Nimh, Finn doesn't own the Republican Party, nor does he champion each and every Republican's views.

Those Republicans who argued against intervening in Kosovo were no favorites of Finn. Instead, Finn the proud Neo-Con was all for Slick Willy sending troops to the Balkans.

Just as Finn would be quite happy to see US troops enter Darfour.

I don't have the same problem of consistency as do Liberals (Like you?)
0 Replies