Iraqis are Terrorists

kickycan

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 08:47 pm
I still don't think I'd get into it (and I definitely wouldn't push it any further now), for a couple reasons.

1. There are many adults that wouldn't even be able to make the distinction between Iraqis and terrorists, and if the kid thinks that, he/she probably heard it from some adult that is very close to them. Trouble awaits in that pandora's box.

2. People are insane about this Iraq thing. Too much vitriol and anger. Cross the wrong kid's parents, and you could get yourself in a big mess over something that just isn't worth it.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Carry on.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 08:49 pm
Although I will say, Greeen Witch's idea is pretty damn good. It's not political at all. It could work.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 08:49 pm
kickycan wrote:

1. There are many adults that wouldn't even be able to make the distinction between Iraqis and terrorists, and if the kid thinks that, he/she probably heard it from some adult that is very close to them.

That's exactly why I'd speak up about it.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 08:57 pm
And that adult might come back and start a shitstorm over it. Just be prepared for some serious consequences. Then again, maybe nothing will happen. Or maybe that adult will learn something as well.

I'm on the fence about it, to tell you the truth, with a leaning towards keeping your own ass protected.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 09:01 pm
I wasn't telling the kids that osama bin laden had a good point! I was telling the kids that the hijackers weren't Iraqi and that all Iraqis aren't terrorists. If someone has enough of a beef about that to complain to me or admin and admin decides to fire me for it, I don't want the job.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 09:04 pm
Okay then. You go girl!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 07:12 am
I think you've dealt with the Iraqi stereotype.

What about other stereotypes? And judging a group of people by the unbecoming actions of a few?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 07:21 am
We've a 'newspaper - project' in our state, for 3rd and 4th graders: reading papers and writing their own news.

(On national tv, there are a couple of news programs for any age .... below 14 > I've been to an exhibition last week with one of our godsons [10 years old] where one tv-chain showed how the programs are made plus the kids could interact as [mock] tv-news-for-kids-announcers etc )
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 07:25 am
FreeDuck wrote:
For instance, I've had to warn Duckie not to say "George Bush is an idiot" in class, or anywhere for that matter.

Why would you ever do this to your offspring?

My kids know that George Bush is an idiot. I encourage them to express this in class.

Kids have freedom of expression in the classroom. Why would you keep them from using it?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 07:33 am
LittleK,

This is a great topic and I am impressed with the thought you are putting into it. The ideas are great.

One question is how supportive or restrictive is the school administration on these issues. I was teaching (high school) during 9/11 and the administration got fully behind the patriotic "United We Stand" idiocy. Ironically most students got it and the teachers only had to let the education happen (with a little prodding from progressive teachers).

If the school administration is receptive, obviously this can be a big help. On the other hand, great teaching is always a little subversive Wink

One piece of advice (and it sounds like you are already on the right track) is that the lesson you are trying to teach is not a one-shot thing. Plan a "learning thread" (to use the buzzwords I use to hate) and incorporate it into your lesson plans. The idea of presenting Iraqi's as human beings is something that you can do throughout the year. I like the pen pal idea a lot.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 07:35 am
ebrown_p wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
For instance, I've had to warn Duckie not to say "George Bush is an idiot" in class, or anywhere for that matter.

Why would you ever do this to your offspring?

My kids know that George Bush is an idiot. I encourage them to express this in class.

Kids have freedom of expression in the classroom. Why would you keep them from using it?

Because he's 7 and has no support for his opinion other than it's what his parents think. When he gets to where he can explain his opinion as his own then he is free to express it.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 07:38 am
Freeduck,

Sorry for the tone (re-reading it I came across much more biting than I intended), I was mainly being tongue in cheek....

I agree completely with you idea of having him explain it. My 13 year old does just fine.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 07:40 am
No worries, ebrown, I know where you're coming from. My hope is that by the time my kids are approaching middle school they will be able to develop their own opinions and express them articulately, whether they are popular or not.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 10:07 am
ebrown - as you know, I value your opinion greatly. Thanks for your input. Ah yes, the learning thread. So many threads, so little time. But, I realize that Iraq could be incorporated throughout the year. And, as Noddy put it, so can other groups who are misrepresented and misunderstood. My background is in Anthropology - I've always known that I'd be incorporating other cultures into my classroom anyway.
0 Replies