Is homosexuality an evolutionary mistake?

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 03:49 pm
Wilso wrote:
Setanta wrote:
There is also no good reason to assume that the children of a homosexual man or woman will themselves be homosexual.

Seems to me, regardless of other possible circumstances raised, that the vast majority of gay people ARE the offspring of heterosexuals!

I'd say you're on safe ground with that one, Wilso.
0 Replies

bdouglass

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 04:13 pm
Setanta wrote:
First, you would need to establish as fact that there is a "gay gene." Secondly, your thesis is flawed because it relies upon an assertion that "religion" is naturally homophobic. You have taken, as you did in your thread about education and religion, the Judeo-Christian tradition as the only valid example of what constitutes "religion." In that thread, having begged the initial question of whether or not it were true that better-educated people are "less religious," you proceeded to ask questions which themselves begged questions. For example, you asked if that accounted for why "religion" attacks "science." But that is simply a phenomenon of fundamentalist religious belief, and in particular, the experience of the United States.

You consistently take a very narrow view. Not all religion is condemnatory of homosexuality. There is also no good reason to assume that the children of a homosexual man or woman will themselves be homosexual. You really need to broaden your understanding of the human condition.

Setana, I think what STL is trying to say that in "general" a majority of religions (i.e. the three major ones, Christianity, Islam, Judaism) have condemned homosexuality and have therefore encouraged passing along a "gay gene" if it does exist by way of coercing homosexuals into heterosexual partnerships.

And lets not overdramatize "thesis" and call a spade a spade. STL is more or less just offering up ideas to provoke conversation, albeit a bit militantly anti-religious. lol
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 04:35 pm
I know what he is "trying" to say. That does not alter either that the three Abrahamic religions do not constitute the majority of theologies in human history, nor does it in any way authorize a silly contention about a gay gene. As has already been pointed out, there is no evidence that the children of homosexuals will be homosexual themselves, and that homosexuals may well be the children of heterosexuals. The only genetic inference to be drawn from that would be that if there were a genetic disposition to homosexuality, it must be recessive.

Nor is it even reasonable to assert that the Abrahamic religions have been monolithically anti-homosexual. Expedient governs religious policy throughout human history.

Mary of Guise married James V of Scotland. There is no historical evidence, not even rumor, that either of them were homosexual. They produced a single child, a daughter, who was born six days before her father died. She first married Francis II of France, but after his death, she married Lord Darnley, and they produced a son, James, who would become James VI of Scotland. There is no historical evidence that either Mary Queen of Scots nor Lord Darnley was homosexual, not even rumor.

After Mary was executed by Queen Elizabeth, James VI of Scotland became the heir apparent to the English throne. When Elizabeth died in 1603, James came south and took up residence in Whitehall. He brought his wife, whom he lodged more than a half mile from his own chambers, and his lover, the Earl of Dorset, was lodged next door. There can be little doubt that James (for whom the King James Bible is named) was homosexual. There is no historical evidence that his wife, Anne of Denmark, was homosexual, not even rumor. They produced three children: Henry, who died in childhood; Elizabeth, who became the Queen of Bohemia (which leads to Prince Rupert and the Hudson's Bay Company, but i'll let that lie), and Charles, who became King Charles I. There is no historical evidence that Charles, nor his wife, Henrietta Maria of France, were homosexual, not even rumor. They produced several children, who were to be prominent in European history. That included Charles, who would one day succeed his father as Charles II; James, who would succeed his brother as James II; Mary, who would marry the Prince of Orange and Count of Nassau, and who would give birth to William, Prince of Orange--William married his first cousin Mary, and William and Mary succeeded Mary's father James II, when he was driven from the throne.

There you have 150 years of history in the Stuart royal family of Scotland and England, which produced one notorious homosexual, who caused the bible to be translated into English anew, and produced the bible which has been the mainstay of Protestant christianity in the English-speaking world. There is no reason to assume that James' homosexuality was inherited, nor that any of his descendants inherited homosexuality from him. What is more to the point, though, is the the Anglicans and Puritans of England, for whatever their distaste may have been, never objected to James being King, even though it was well-known that he was homosexual. The Lutherans of Denmark did not object to his marriage to Anne of Denmark. Marie de Medici and her husband, King Henry IV of France, raised no objection as Catholics to their Catholic daughter Henrietta Maria marrying the Protestant son, Charles, of the homosexual King of England, James.

Basically, what i object to here is the simple-minded basis for Stlstrike's theses concerning religion. This is not the first time he has trotted out so ill-considered a thesis.
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 11:02 am
I think he hits the nail on the head w/r/t religion, they are by and large homo-phobic. As for a gene for homosexuality, probably not a gene which makes it certain one will be homosexual.
And people, for some strange reason, think evolution can act at the level of the population- balderdash! There is no substantial evidence for group-selection.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 03:35 am
ahem, i have one thing to say, does "recreational sex" have anything to do with "producing children"?

At first glance it does, but a gay man can have sex with a woman just to have a kid if he wanted, but it might be a purely business type of thing Smile
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 05:35 pm
I've often wondered if rates of homosexuality increase in more heavily populated urban areas, or in times of apparent overpopulation, where survival of the tribe is subconciously taken for granted, as opposed to being a subconcious motivation in underpopulated areas/times. Does anyone know if this has been studied?
0 Replies

stlstrike3

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 11:19 pm
Eorl wrote:
I've often wondered if rates of homosexuality increase in more heavily populated urban areas, or in times of apparent overpopulation, where survival of the tribe is subconciously taken for granted, as opposed to being a subconcious motivation in underpopulated areas/times. Does anyone know if this has been studied?

I don't know, but such a study would be tainted, as those who live in more heaviliy populated urban areas are probably more comfortable identifying themselves as homosexuals as it is less likely that their house will be torched to the ground by a bunch of George Bush-loving, Milwaukee's Best-drinking, NRA-cardholding Hoosiers in Chevy pickups.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 07:04 am
Right, and people who were born in rural/ non-urban areas and are gay or lesbian will often move out of those areas and into urban areas.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 07:29 am
Re: Is homosexuality an evolutionary mistake?
stlstrike3 wrote:
As a gay person who actually understands evolution, I do have to wonder... isn't homosexuality the ultimate slap in the face? I am an evolutionary dead-end unless I donate sperm. Do not get me wrong. I'm an ego-congruent homosexual. I have no problem with how I was built. But I'm willing to accept the fact that my sexual orientation was an error of biology. I find the concept fascinating.

Thoughts?

I don't think that evolution ( directly ) has anything to do with it. According to one theory, positional factors in utero do play an important role in determining whether a person will be a homosexual.

Of course, we could continue and say that perhaps, in utero postition in mammals has been determined ( at least in part) by evolutionary factors.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 04:30 pm
Re: Is homosexuality an evolutionary mistake?
stlstrike3 wrote:
As a gay person who actually understands evolution, I do have to wonder... isn't homosexuality the ultimate slap in the face? I am an evolutionary dead-end unless I donate sperm. Do not get me wrong. I'm an ego-congruent homosexual. I have no problem with how I was built. But I'm willing to accept the fact that my sexual orientation was an error of biology. I find the concept fascinating.

It's fascinating, but not necessarily true. Keep in mind that most of our observable features are influenced by several genes, and most of our genes influence several of our observable features. The genes that make homosexuality more likely may have other beneficial effects on their (straight) carriers' chances to survive and reproduce. This would cause natural selection to favor them.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 05:37 pm
I wonder if straight men, on average, have sex with more women in a lifetime than gay men.

I know it sounds obvious, but it ain't necessarily so.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 06:15 pm
Eorl wrote:
I wonder if straight men, on average, have sex with more women in a lifetime than gay men.

I wonder if gay men have more sex than straight men...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 06:30 pm
Thomas
+JPBs
comments
interesting,
more
when
I
have
new
keyboard.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 10:20 pm
Miller wrote:
Eorl wrote:

I wonder if gay men have more sex than straight men...

When I first read Miller's response to Eorl, I read it as "I wonder if gay men have more sex with straight men...and I thought, "they probably do, or at least that's what the "straight" men are telling themselves."
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 01:01 am
raprap wrote:
But bonobo's aren't are closest evolutionary neighbor, they're chimpanzees and they're rather warlike. One could then extrapolate a warrior gene that prefers the company of men.

There are many urban legends asserting that either the Bonobos or the Chimpanzees are more closely related to us. But they are all false. In the family tree of apes, Chimpanzees and Bonobos split from each other after their common ancestors split from ours. This means that Chimpanzees and Bonobos are both equally closely related to humans.

[img]http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2004/03/images/chart.gif[/img]

The source of this image is a UC Berkeley press release about a fossil from a time near the separation of the two branches.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 02:59 pm
I take offense at the presumption that homosexuality is a trait to be "selected out." Evil or Very Mad

On the contrary, I tend to think it was selected IN. Shocked
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 07:26 pm
USAFHokie80 wrote:
I take offense at the presumption that homosexuality is a trait to be "selected out." Evil or Very Mad

Who made that presumption? Confused
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 06:38 am
stlstrike3 wrote:
stuh505 wrote:
Evolution doesn't make mistakes, because it's not not a being that is trying to accomplish anything. It is simply a random process. So your genes won't be passed on...so what? Evolution couldn't care less if all life on planet Earth stopped tomorrow.

You're wrong about it being a "slap in face" or counteractive to the evolutionary process. Evolution is entirely based on making random changes to the genome, some of which pan out and some of which don't. It is expected that they do not all pass their genes on...or else it wouldn't work at all.

OK. I suppose "mistake" was the wrong word. I suppose what I was round-about asking was:

Is the fact that we evolved to a degree of intelligence that we are now able to subvert natural selection allowing certain random traits that would otherwise be "selected out", like homosexuality, to persist?

^^ He did.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 03:12 am
sozobe wrote:

It seems like it might be (note qualifiers, this stuff is still new and indefinite) that men are either/or -- men are born gay or not, and stick with that orientation throughout -- while women are pretty much all biologically bisexual, more like the bonobos as mentioned earlier. And that different things "make" a woman lesbian.

Although it is not correct to assert that all women are biologically bisexual, or predisposed to bisexuality for that matter, there's some evidence that women can be sexually aroused by watching both male-female and female-only erotica.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/06/030613075252.htm
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 02:23 pm
If social issues are removed from the equation (such as adoption), then wouldn't homosexuality by definition become an evolutionary dead end, because it does not lead to reproduction? Regardless of one's attitude toward the subject, that would seem to be the inevitable conclusion as it applies to natural selection.
0 Replies