Tiananmen Square as a Forest - a proposal

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 12:27 am
I'm a little late in seeing this article. Interesting idea. Though it does occur to me that this wipes out gathering space rather well.

I've never been to China, but have somewhat followed the construction explosion of the last bunch of years. Closest I've been to Tiananmen Square is that a post doc fellow who tested me for anosmia said she lived right there, before her fellowship in the US.

I did know a chinese student at UCLA in landscape architecture in the early eighties. Hope he is thriving in China now.

story here -
http://www.guardian.co.uk/china/story/0,,2072172,00.html

photo from guardian article -
http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2007/05/03/square372.jpg

Comments???
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,544 • Replies: 2
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 06:52 am
Wow... yes, the erasure of gathering space was the first thing I thought of too, so I'm suspicious of it. Otherwise, seems like a nice idea.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 07:04 am
Just read the article, though, looks like the authorities aren't happy with it:

Quote:
However, his plan for Tiananmen is too controversial for the authorities. The mainland media have already been told not to publish images of his green model. "Tiananmen Square is a sensitive topic because many things happened there," Mr Ma said. "The idea of turning the plaza into a forest makes many people feel uncomfortable."
0 Replies