ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 06:17 pm
I recall a friend (hamburger, remember Bruce?) about 25 years ago, telling me that his sister had been told not to use talcum powder on her new baby - it could cause respiratory problems. I thought they were all nuts. Oops. (I actually learned that about the oops about a year later, but it still seemed odd for a bit.)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 06:35 pm
I also heard something years back about talcum powder not being a good thing, but I completely forgot why until you mentioned the respiratory problems Beth. I'm curious now, so I have to go google to see what I can find.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 06:41 pm
Here's some food for thought http://www.preventcancer.com/alerts/talc.htm
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 07:49 pm
Montana, hamburger and I were just talking about this some more on the phone. That's a good link you brought up. I'm definitely going to have to look at some of the body powders I've got upstairs. Talcum powder is going to have to go. Which is sort of sad, since I used to love sprinkling it on the bedsheets on a really hot night. That is definitely over now.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 11:39 pm
You can still sprinkle, ehBeth. Just get the kind of powder made with cornstarch...
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 11:46 pm
I know lots of women who love it as well, unfortunately the things we like are not always good for us.

Maybe I should start an awareness thread about this. I think it might be important enough for a thread of its own. What do you think?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 11:47 pm
Wy
I think you just made her day ;-)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 11:48 pm
Maybe so. I was certainly clueless on this one. I never heard of transfats till I came here either. I'm certainly willing enough to make bad choices, but like some awareness of what I'm getting myself into.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 12:07 am
Here's the link to the new thread I just started on the subject. http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9708&highlight=

You're right Roger. I think awareness is a very good thing in life. After losing my best friend to cancer last year, I make myself very aware of anything I see concerning anything that may cause cancer. Way too much poision on the market these days!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 08:02 am
Wy - i'm going to go look for some cornstarch based powder for sprinkling. Good idea!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 12:09 pm
See, I knew it would make our Beth happy :-D
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 12:46 pm
You won't find it by looking at Gold Bond Baby Powder. It is talc.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 01:48 pm
It sure is Roger.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 02:47 pm
Montana wrote:
I also heard something years back about talcum powder not being a good thing, but I completely forgot why until you mentioned the respiratory problems Beth. I'm curious now, so I have to go google to see what I can find.

there is a link with ovarian cancer and talc
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 03:44 pm
Vivien, It's also evident that some women that bear many children and their use of talcum powder has not harmed them that are noticeable. c.i.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 03:52 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Vivien, It's also evident that some women that bear many children and their use of talcum powder has not harmed them that are noticeable. c.i.

or is it? a consultant told me that talc was implicated in many ovarian cancers and the reason was that talc is not absorbed by the body and remains. Who knows what other cancers may eventually be attributed to it??? I am not saying they will, merely that if it causes ovarian cancer then there is a surely a likelihood of it causing others? Personal opinion only based on facts discussed with consultant - not gospel!!! There is a large increase in bowel cancer .... link???? (yes I know about the diet being higher in sugar, fats and refined foods etc)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 04:24 pm
That's not really definitive, c.i. Lots of people smoke from childhood through old age without developing cancer too.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 04:52 pm
Oh boy. You'd have to work in an asbestos factory for years to develop the cancer you're all so afraid of. You think a little talc is gonna drop you like a malignant pancreas? I seriously doubt it.

By the way, on the original topic, ants actually farm aphids. Knock the aphids from their perch with a blast of water. You can kill them with a solution of mild dish soap and water from a sprayer.

Use targeted ant baits or stakes to reduce the ant problem.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 05:56 pm
Here's a link to the American Cancer Society on talcum powder and cancer. c.i. http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/content/CRI_2_6x_Talcum_Powder_and_Cancer.asp?sitearea=
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 11:10 am
thanks for the link ci.

Incidentally, i don't lose sleep worrying over these things! it was merely making an observation - the pollution will probably get me long before the talc or anything else does! ( the asthma gets worse .... Sad )
0 Replies