Jack Russell Terrier as a pet?

Diane

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 08:15 pm
Hi Velvett--glad to hear you're reconsidering. What I often tell people who are thinking of getting a dog is to consider if they would feel right about adopting a child. Granted, there is a big difference between dogs and children, but not as much as you might think.

Dogs can really go crazy--neurotic and ill-behaved. The thought of leaving a dog alone for so many hours is awful. Even greyhounds, who are real couch potatoes, would go a little nuts.

Think about a cat if you really, really want a pet, but even they need attention if they are to grow up being happy, mentally healthy as well as physically healthy.

You sound as if you have taken this into consideration, which makes it likely that you are a very humane person.

Best bet?? Don't work so hard...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 06:52 am
I can describe them easily.

I saw one clear a 5 foot fence without taking a running start.

That's high energy.

On another note, I leave my dog alone for periods of 4-5 hours at a time during the morning. I see her for an hour at lunch and then back to work for 4-5 hours. And even in the short span of a few hours, she's managed to do some pretty good work on some of our things.

Dogs don't like to be left alone. Ever. They can't understand why they got left behind.

If you want a medium sized dog that wil fit into a 3 bed apt, consider a bulldog. They are like rugs. Smile

But from your description of your lifestyle, I don't think a dog is for you right now. It wouldn't be fair to the dog and you'd miss out on all the best parts of having a dog.

Remember that you always have to consider what you'll do with the dog if you go away. Overnight trips can be a hassle because you either have to find someone to watch the dog or take it with you.

Dogs are more difficult to have than kids cuz you can't take your dog everywhere you go.
0 Replies

velvett

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 05:46 am
Diane wrote:
You sound as if you have taken this into consideration, which makes it likely that you are a very humane person.

I did take all your comments into serious consideration and, I guess, I'm apt to the attitude Bella Dea mentioned - I want to be fair to the dog, cause I don't see a dog (or any other pet) as a toy which you can put on 'pause'.
It's just that I've loved dogs (not cats) all my life and always wanted to have my own dog. I had seen a number of dogs in my life, one of them (my aunt had it) was russian springer spaniel, a hunting dog by it's nature and in the end they had to mercy kill him because he's gone crazy wihtout forest and chasing and hunting...
So I do see your point, the temptation is very high, especially now when we'll be moving in our own appartement with no restrictions from any landlord whatsoever.
But I think we got to wait. I see now another point - we want to travel as much as possible, visit Africa and may be Peru. It will be hard to balance this.

Thanks again!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 09:27 am
velvett, i know it's totally not the same, but there are so many dogs out there that need attention. if you can't give one a home right now, but miss being around dogs, maybe you can volunteer at a pound on the weekends, or be a dogwalker... .though it sounds like you already have a pretty busy schedule.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 02:24 am
I was gonna suggest a ferret, but damn, yall are so busy and want to travel so much. Best bet seems to just wait a while. Then get a dog.

Ferrets are very cool though. Great training to move on to a dog because you can take them a lot more places if you get a leash for them. Energy levels and need to for socialization are high as a dogs, but they sleep more often. Smile

My own personal solution to not being able to have a dog (wouldn't be fair to the dog) is having the cat (looking at her now) and having buddies who are animal lovers too. Can petsit whenever or simply visit.

Fostering was fun, too, and less of a commitment than adopting. Though, with your schedule, even that may be a stretch.

Just out of curiosity - why the attraction to that particular breed?
0 Replies

velvett

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 07:44 am
Flushd --

I appreciate your interest and advice.

Actually there was no particular interest in JRT, we both like it very much from its appearance, plus considering the urban environment - we thought of JRT as sort of a compromise Smile I personally prefer gundogs, Irish setter is my favourite. My boyfriend likes big dogs like Bernese Mountain Dog. But both of them would be constraned in the appartment.

For the ferrets, I am not so sure they exist in continental Europe Surprised

Cats... well I am definitely a 'dog' person, it;s not a question of any pet for me (though I love animals in general, can spend hours in their company), but when it comes down to my vision of ideal pet - ideal friend I see only dog.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 12:43 pm
Irish Setter? Shocked

You keep picking dogs that need TONS of exercise....plus, and Irish Setter has a well deserved reputation for being none too bright.

Take a look around you, what kind of dogs do you see fellow apartment dwellers walking in your neighborhood?

How about a greyhound, or Italian greyhound?

They like a run, but can be total couch potatos as well.

What breeds of dog have you Personally owned in the past?
0 Replies

velvett

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 01:13 pm
Chai

I must admit i pick only on the basis of appearance!.. I have little idea of the character and habits of various breeds. (I probably seem godless here by saying that Smile

The majority of dogs in Belgium are:golden retrievers, cocker spaniels and... jack russel terriers! There're a few badger-dogs which I like too, but I heard a number of times that they're mean and jealous sometimes.

I see now how careful I should be in selecting a right breed for our lifestyle (once it changes to less occupied)
I found this on the web:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Companion_dog

Do you think we could choose the suitable breed from their list?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 02:25 pm
velvett wrote:

I must admit i pick only on the basis of appearance!.. I have little idea of the character and habits of various breeds.

Velvett, based on the above comment alone, I would never entrust you with a dime store gold fish, let alone an intelligent animal with wants needs and emotions.

Until you do a major amount of maturing and get out of your obviously self absorbed world, you do not DESERVE a dog.

I'm not a dog person, but dogs are noble creatures, much too noble for the likes of you.

People like you piss me off. You want a dog as a possession, a status symbol, not a friend and family member.

All your talk about how much you love dogs and can spend hours with them, is a bunch of crap if you can't even take the time to figure out what type of animal should be best entrusted to your care.

Go buy a stuffed toy dog and name it bubbles.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 03:58 pm
Wow, Chai ... you need to lighten up. She obviously came here to educate herself about dogs, and a particular breed of dog. She doesn't need, nor does she deserve, your scorn or contempt.

Chai wrote:
All your talk about how much you love dogs and can spend hours with them, is a bunch of crap if you can't even take the time to figure out what type of animal should be best entrusted to your care.

Why do you think she posted here in the first place?

You obviously missed this comment in her last email:

velvett wrote:
I see now how careful I should be in selecting a right breed for our lifestyle (once it changes to less occupied)
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 04:10 pm
On a lighter note I am going to have to wash the Chow as she kind'a smells doggie-ish. Ah.....here she comes now as she smells my supper. She likes chicken.
0 Replies

velvett

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 05:32 pm
Chai

All I wanted was an opinion of someone who has a dog and has enough experience to give me piece of advice. And I thought I showed (at least i tried) how seriously I took all the comments - for me the question "whether to take JRT or not" evolved to "can i afford to take any pet at all". And the answer is no.

Anyway, thank you for your opinion, even if i totally did not deserve feeling like ****.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 06:53 pm
200lbs of dog in a 5 pound body.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 10:45 pm
velvett wrote:
Chai

All I wanted was an opinion of someone who has a dog and has enough experience to give me piece of advice. And I thought I showed (at least i tried) how seriously I took all the comments - for me the question "whether to take JRT or not" evolved to "can i afford to take any pet at all". And the answer is no.

Anyway, thank you for your opinion, even if i totally did not deserve feeling like ****.

No, you did not deserve to be made to feel that way, and I'm sorry you were.

Welcome to A2K, and I hope the rest of your experiences here are not as unpleasant.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 11:11 am
I didn't make you feel any way velvett....feel like **** if you want, or don't.

Your stating you only have considered dogs based upon their appearance, and not upon their wants and needs virtually guarantees you will end up with an animal that WILL feel like ****.

Lighten up?
Listen, I have known enough people that have owned dogs based on their appearance, or the fact it's some kind of fashion statement to make me sick.
People totally unprepared for the reality of being responsible for a living being, in sickness and in health, for the next 15 years, and are instead confused and angered that their animal is nervous, disobedient, traumatized and miserable in it's existence.

If velvett had come on here saying she knew nothing much about dogs, but described her living situation, there would have been a number of appropriate breeds to suggest.
However, at first she kept going back to the JRT, even though she had been warned off it in the first posts. Then, picking another inappropriate breed, like an Irish Setter. I think she was sitting around and got a passing fancy she wanted a dog, without giving a moments thought to the future. Now when she realizes she can't handle one, she's upset when she's called on her whim.

First figure out what you are able to handle, then match a breed to it, so the animal will have a happy life. Not the other way around.

If velvett feels like ****, imagine how a dog she is incapable of taking care of properly will feel. Until of course she decides it's appearance doesn't outweigh the responsibilty, and the creature becomes someone elses problem.

People who acquire pets based upon their appearance are a large reason others adopt animals who they realize have not been taken care of properly, and are willing to make a go at trying to make the rest of its life happier.

Lighten up? I think not....not when one is talking about a living creature that is totally dependant on you for how it's life turns out.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 03:12 pm
hmmm.

Velvett, I think your choice is wise. You came for advice, you learnt more about dog needs, you decided against the original idea. That'a a mature approach.

I wish you best of luck, and hope that one day in the future you'll have the lifestyle that will allow you to take in a happy dog.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 03:37 pm
Amen...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 06:56 am
velvett, check out the ASPCA Complete Guide to Dogs. It has some great information on temperment, exercise needs, living space, and how they are with kids.

Book

You might find a dog that is more compatible with your lifestyle. But like I said earlier, be prepared to not get a dog right now.

Even the biggest couch potatoes need attention. :wink:
0 Replies

JMatheson

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 06:16 pm
Jack Russell Terriers
We have a 15 month old male JRT and he's the best dog ever. He's not what I would call hyper-active, although people always assume he is. Certainly, sometimes he gets wound up, but he also loves to go to bed with us and sleep until we make him get up in the morning. We have a fenced in back yard which is nice, but it does have a few new holes dug since he joined our family. The most "on" he ever is is when we take him fishing. This seems to bring out some sort of hunting instinct. You can tell he loves it so much you can't get upset that he jumps off the boat or dock to swim at the fish and try to eat them. He is also the sweetest little dog sometimes where he just wants to tuck his nose behind your knees on the couch and take a nap! They definately need attention and things to do, but if you're active, they are a great choice!
0 Replies

velvett

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 01:34 am
JMatheson--

Thanks, that's nice to know, may be one time I'll even get a JRT Smile
0 Replies