Jack Russell Terrier as a pet?

velvett

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 05:43 pm
Hi

We're thinking of getting a dog with my bf. We live in a big city (well, relatively big Smile but Brussels is quite green, there is a number of big parks, open areas with trees even downtown. After some research (mostly on size and shedding) we see Jack Russell Terrier as good option.

What do you think of this breed and the character of these dogs?
Any general advice on what we should consider when taking a dog are welcome!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,221 • Replies: 42
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 05:50 pm
Ah, they're adorable, but all terriers are kinda busy dogs, I'm not sure how to make it clear. They just, they're on. A lot. If you've got a high energy level, great. If not, they can drive ya nuts.

We had a bigger terrier (Staffordshire) a few years ago and she was so hyper and wacky that her belly was the hottest thing going, even when she was asleep she was on a hair trigger, more so than other dogs we've had.

Right now we're dogless but I would not get a JRT simply because my husband and I are always out so attention would not be lavished as much, and a smart dog like that can get into serious chewing trouble (they chew, usually, because they're bored, like any other dog. Pity they can't read a book or grab the remote).

There are other folks here with dogs, can't recall if anyone has a JRT, though.

PS Welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 06:05 pm
Hi Velvett,

My theatre director has three, yes, THREE jack russel terriers. One of them, Miss Rhoda, regularly performs on stage. Rhoda and Jack are older, so they mellowed down a bit, Violet is a pup, running around, demanding constant attention. They all need lots of attention, but Violet needs constant attention when not sleeping.
They're very smart pups, very alive. They work great for him, because he lives with a bunch of other people in a big house, there's always somebody there, he stays home a lot, too.

Oh, in fact you can SEE Miss Rhoda on film!

If you do have the time, and some experience with dog training (can't spoil a jack russel!!!) then they are the most rewarding dogs.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 06:08 pm
If you want a dog that looks after itself and is perfectly fine on its own for long periods get a Chow Chow. We've had our for 10 years, we never even have to leash or fence her to keep her on the property.

Some people liken their personalities to be catlike in their independence, but Chows are very protective of the home when the need arises.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 06:10 pm
This my JRT (Sally-dog) she is not hyper but she does need lots of attention;
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/205/486680053_dda6a887fa_m.jpg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 06:54 pm
My partner has 2 JRT and he has about 30 acres in the country , but he went and built one of these "silent fences" nearer the house where the dog wears this collar and is corrected by the fence giving alittle jolt when the dogs get close. The dogs, like velociraptors, figgered it out, and , theyd go up to the fence , just close enough to where the little collar buzzer would go off but the shock therapy didnt kick in. SO theyd sit there until the batteries drained and the buzzing stopped. Then theyd merrily trot off into the fields and chase groundhogs and skunks. The fence cost him more than 2 grand and it was a total waste of money.These dogs are quite smart, like a border collie or a catahoula (my dog). They love problem solving and like any smart dog, they always test your ability to be the leader, and are getting into things that you wont like. They get bored easily.
These dogs are generally high maintenance and active, hyper active. Why not get a big couch potato like a greyhound. They love to just lay around and watch tv.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 06:58 pm
I love the jrt story, Farmer.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 06:59 pm
I bought one of those silent fences thinking I would need it with my Chow, but nope she only leaves the property if I call her to.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 07:28 pm
A friend of mine has 2 JRT's, father and son.
The sire was apparantly rated #2 in the country at some point, so he puts him out to stud.

I say this to indicate these must be very well bred dogs....that said, they drive me crazy. Like has been said, they are constantly "on" My impression is you can never have a private quiet moment with them around.

He lives in Manhatten, but makes sure they get enough exercise. The younger one is also more aggressive than I feel comfortable with.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 09:44 pm
yes indeed jack russells are the speed freaks of the dog world and need constant attention. They are fabulous dogs if you can do that. If not, they will tear your **** up.

Ours would **** in your shoes if you pissed her off. She would also figure out how to escape and take the beagle with her and then come home without the beagle, looking very smug.
0 Replies

velvett

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 04:17 am
Hi

Thanks for all your replies - some of them made us laugh (farmerman) and giggle (Bi-Polar Bear) Very Happy but mostly you gave us a serious food for thought...

Cause both of us work quite intensively - out of home from 8 to 19 at least. I like medium-sized dogs, don't really understand the advantage of the toy terrier or chiwawa, except for their posh accessoire role (my mother had one and she would always squeal whenever i tried to play woth her). I prefer a dog to be active rather than act like a piece of furnuture, but the time that we can devote to her is limited (of course I am not talking about the period when he will be a pup and need close attention to firm up).

But in terms of living space, do you think it's allright to keep JRT in the 3-room appartment?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 05:00 am
They are nice, no?

http://perso.orange.fr/gismonda/bebe.jpg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 05:06 am
Im gonna weigh in here and say NO. A JRT is high energy and smart, easily bored without stimulation and play. Such conditions will leave you open to "retaliatory loneliness" , wherein the dog will start eating furniture.

In reality, some of the bigger breeds are more docile than the small dogs. Some smaller dogs have had the brains bred out of them (like Cocker spaniels) and can go bomkers if left alone for long periods.

My partner has a wife and kids who are at home, so their JRT's are given all kinds of attention. However, when I go over there , the dogs figure Im a new playmate so they will bug the hell out of me and Im not a person who orbits around a dog's needs. I figure if theyre smart enough, lettem go get a job and stop buggin me. My dogs, principally the catahoula and a border collie, are real farm working dogs, so they live for the time of day when we round up the sheep and move them in.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 11:23 am
velvett wrote:
Hi

Thanks for all your replies - some of them made us laugh (farmerman) and giggle (Bi-Polar Bear) Very Happy but mostly you gave us a serious food for thought...

Cause both of us work quite intensively - out of home from 8 to 19 at least. I like medium-sized dogs, don't really understand the advantage of the toy terrier or chiwawa, except for their posh accessoire role (my mother had one and she would always squeal whenever i tried to play woth her). I prefer a dog to be active rather than act like a piece of furnuture, but the time that we can devote to her is limited (of course I am not talking about the period when he will be a pup and need close attention to firm up).

But in terms of living space, do you think it's allright to keep JRT in the 3-room appartment?

Honestly, a JRT would be one of the last dogs I'd suggest for you two, next to a border collie because they are so smart they need tons of stimulation, like a JRT

My concern is mostly for the happiness of the dog. For some reason you have very strong feelings about picking this breed, but for your lifestyle, the dog would more than likely not be as happy as he potentially could be.

They are a lot of other breeds that like to play and be active when you are there and wanting to play, but are also content to be alone and quiet for hours.

Frankly, I think you are setting yourself up for disaster choosing this breed.

Why not a mixed breed dog, a mongrel, a mutt? They give love and loyalty too. In addition, I think they are generally healthier since they have not been over bred to achieve a particular look, and are just good all around pets.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 02:49 pm
Velvett,
I am not going to try to talk you out of getting a dog....well, maybe I actually am. My main concern is that you say you'll both be gone for 11 hours a day... That's too much for ANY dog, but that's really the worst possible scenario for a jack russel. They need their people. I think first you have to consider

Why do you want a dog?

What can you offer to a dog? Remember they're not just cute and cuddly, but they require lot of time and attention. Walks, training, quality time, you name it... do you have the time?

Will you be in a different situation in a few months/years?

I really REALLY want a dog. I'm dying to have a dog. But, with my current job and traveling schedule I cannot afford such commitment. I'm gonna have to wait 10, maybe even 20 years when I will have the time and space to offer.

You have most likely considered all of those questions...it was just the mention of being gone from 8am to 7pm that harked at me. if that's really how your lives are right now, I'd urge you to reconsider. You'd want a happy pup, but with such schedule, no dog would be happy.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 02:49 pm
what she said. A lonely jrt in a 3 room apartment can be a "Tazmanian Devil" usually people get 2 so they keep each other company. But all else aside, jrt's need to run their little heineys off and made tired. They need constant stimulation and control. I hope you give these points careful consideration before you purchase, cause you will not get sympath from many of us who are dog owners when you find that the little dogs may have to be sent to a pund because your house is being destroyed and your lives are a living hell.

Thats about all Ive goota say about that. A jrt is like a box a chok a-lets, you never know what yer gonna get.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 03:09 pm
When I first read up about my own dog, a welsh corgi that I got at the human society shelter, I saw them described as being happy as active dogs (they excel at agility training) and happy being inactive, watching you be a couch potato. His job is to protect me, I'm his herd, and he is always doing that job, 24/7. He tends to lie down facing where I sit, perhaps across the room. I have left him home alone as long as four hours, usually less, with the only house tearing-apart being his door scratching when he heard me coming back. (I've stopped that by putting a heavy carton of books in front of the door jamb he tended to scratch.

However, I could take him to work and other places with me, so those one to four hour periods didn't occur all that often; I'm personally not sure how he would have done for longer time. Plus, I would leave the back door open so he could get out to the yard. (Never did get a doggie door.) That was probably unnecessary, as when I return he is always waiting right by the door I left. I learned to leave water next to that door.

I tend to agree it is hard on a dog to be alone for eleven or so hours. Whereas a cat...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 03:37 pm
mmm hmm...some cats are actually dog like. roland is no particular breed, but loves to play fetch as much as any dog, and drops his mouse right back into your hand or lap.

That was the luck of the draw, but I understand some breeds of cats have a reputation for being more social, wanting to play, and are more adept at learning stuff.

roland loves learning new things, so we'll present him with problems to figure out. Since he's smarter than any other cat I've had, I know he needs this stimulation or he'll get bored.
0 Replies

velvett

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 04:09 pm
Hey there

Thanks for all your comments - general and about JRT in particular. I guess we will need to re-consider our vision of having a dog - a dog would be happy living with us and actually having us as a family and not a sofa and a chair as her best friends...

*me sad*
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 05:36 pm
There's a coupla hundred other breeds out there, plus of course mixed breeds. JRTs aren't the only dogfish in the sea. Smile
0 Replies