The fastest growing religion in america

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 12:11 pm
From the NY Times -

Article here

Quote:
Wiccans Keep the Faith With a Religion Under Wraps

Maybe one day, we ( Thats right WE) wont be so misunderstood.

Speaking from my own personal experience, I was once asked to remove my pentacle while working in a nursing home.

It was on a long enough chain that it hung under my uniform.
Sometimes though, as with all jewlery, it would fall out when I was bending over, or picking something up.

Granted, the director at the time was fabulous about it and I absolutely understood her reasoning.
We were working with people ( about 10 years ago) who were in their 80-90's+ and were raised mostly christian.
They were approaching the ends of their lives and didn't want to have any religious fear. It was also not the time in THEIR lives to selfishly attempt to force them into acceptance of a religion that they were never taught about just because I choose to follow it.

Our jobs were to comfort. Not scare .
I understood her. Completely.
I still loved working for her, to this day in fact..

But I remember that day. That was the day I decided to stop telling people I even HAD a religion. Let alone telling them what it was.

It isn't my fault that rebellious freaks took the symbol of my religion (my pentacle)and the religion of christianity ( The cross ) bitched them for themselves by turning them upside down and making their own rules and calling themselves satanists..

Im not a satanist.
In fact, I dont even believe in the guy. And neither do any other wiccans/witches I know.

Satan is a diety that belongs in the christian religion. Period.
To me, the idea is a joke.. but Im not here to bash.

I now wear my pentacle outside my shirt, and usually ( with a good laugh) hiss at those who sneer at me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,083 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 12:24 pm
so are you telling me samantha stevens could whip satan's ass?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 12:25 pm
In the most sadistic, sexy way your mind can ever imagine.. Cool
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 12:27 pm
Sex wins supreme in all battles.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 12:56 pm
Not that I don't laugh openly of both, but in my mind wicca makes more sense than christianity.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 01:02 pm
I find it pretty laughable, given that "Wicca" was, as an organized religion, invented by a retired Brit civil servant in the 1950s.

Anyway, the Muslims are frequently seen here crowing about Islam being the fastest growing religion--are you jokers gonna duke it out?
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 01:06 pm
Were I inclined to subscribe to any religion, Wiccan would be one of my choices because of its positude attitude toward nature.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 01:50 pm
So funny you posted this - because I have been researching some Christian's theology regarding ESP, predicting the future, etc. I came across the following:

Why liberal Christians may accept a Christian/Wiccan syncretistic religion:
Among liberal Christians, the term Christian has generally been defined much more broadly. For example, some believers might accept as a Christian any person who holds Jesus in reverence, views him as the greatest of prophets, and tries to follow his teachings. Many Wiccans, Humanists, Unitarian Universalists are able to match this definition.

Resolving the deity question:
Many Wiccans (perhaps most) believe that there is a single ultimate deity which/who is unknowable. A common Wiccan saying is that "All Gods are the ONE GOD." This deity is sometimes referred to as "The All" or "The One" and is often visualized as having two aspects: a male facet who is called the God and a female component, the Goddess. Christianity also teaches the existence of a single God.

If you are interested - there is some great information you can find here: http://www.religioustolerance.org/witchcr5.htm
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 01:58 pm
Forget Wiccan. Ufology is going to be the next world religion!

Quote:
Such themes, says Philip Lamy, a cultural anthropologist at Castleton College in Vermont, are common throughout many contemporary UFO-based epistemologies. "I really believe that UFOlogy is going to be the next world religion," says the professor, who currently is working on a book supporting such claims. "We live in secular times, and UFOlogy is a religion that even atheists might enjoy. The idea that there are superevolved intelligent beings out there is one that appeals to a lot of people."

According to Lamy and others studying the UFO phenomena, most groups which believe that aliens are going to return to Earth as part of the
millennium see these extraterrestrials as a force for good. The Raelians, for instance, are said to combine a "love thy neighbor" philosophy with an embrace of cloning technology. After all, claims Beluet, it was the Elohim that created us out of DNA, and with the advent of cloning they are revealing more of their plan for us. The Raelians hope to clone a human being in the not-too-distant future. "I can guarantee that the new millennium will start with the presence of a human clone," Beluet predicts.

"This is what I see as the marriage of science fiction and science fact," declares Lamy. "More and more groups are using the advent of technological innovation as proof-perfect that we indeed have been visited by aliens. That and the permeation of our popular culture by the UFO experience has very big ramifications in the millennium."

http://www.virtuallystrange.net/ufo/updates/1998/nov/m02-005.shtml

http://www.mille.org/people/lamybio.html
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 08:16 pm
Setanta wrote:
I find it pretty laughable, given that "Wicca" was, as an organized religion, invented by a retired Brit civil servant in the 1950s.

Anyway, the Muslims are frequently seen here crowing about Islam being the fastest growing religion--are you jokers gonna duke it out?

Jesus. Is there anything you haven't studied about Set?

Regarding this particular question: I've come to the conclusion that pretty much every "religion" is pretty much a hoax. Something people believe to make themselves feel better about themselves.

*shrugs*

I don't think "belief" in something is necessarily bad. But I think maybe some of the practices that are preached... on any level... from any "belief system" are entirely too confining... and false attempts at defining life or the meaning of it. I think that life itself means something different to every single person regardless of if they follow a "belief system" of some sort or not.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 08:38 pm
Life for each individual is "different," but I also believe that an individual with a belief system spends unnecessary time and energy to comply with the so-called teachings of their master. Life is not all that difficult to figure out, and ethics and kindness is all one needs to live a good life. Sermons and prayers are a waste of time; it produces nothing positive in the majority of adherents.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 08:40 pm
I couldn't have said that better myself CI! :wink:
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 09:15 pm
my black cat is missing shewolf. I haven't seen it since Wednesday.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 09:54 pm
When you find your cat, bleach it white or color it red.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 10:08 pm
I guess I better discredit myself here and say this-

I do not identify myself with the religion 'wicca'

as Set said , it is a new , created religion just like others.

But its basis is what I live by and believe in... yet I dont subscribe to the love and light lolly gag me hippy behavior you see with most of them.

To me it is simple.
We are all made of energy. We share that same energy
We all vibrate on the same plane.
Respect it , and be mindful of your ripples as you walk around in it and you will be fine and so will the rest of the world.

But I am not going to go too deep into what I believe personaly, as I dont think that should ever be plastered for one to read.
Religious beliefs, no matter what they are, are personal and private.

Im just happy to see a related "religion" finally getting some attention.
Im tired of the world ( at least america) being all about Christianity.

Thats SOOOOO yesterday.. Laughing
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 10:15 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
When you find your cat, bleach it white or color it red.

too late

added a bit of eye of newt and made dinner for my poor starving family
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 10:52 pm
sheesh!
0 Replies