• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 761 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Chai

Reply Thu 17 May, 2007 11:56 am
Very interesting video.

I don't believe only 6% of this country are atheists myself.

I'll bet more of those girls in the basketball prayer circle don't believe in God either, but have just never thought about it.

For many, if they are asked if they believe, saying "yes" is just automatic, like saying "fine" when someone asks "how are you?"

Also, even if you do believe in God, it doesn't necessarily mean you're comfortable with praying in public, or praying at all.

Small towns can be vicious. It's just easier to join the prayer circle and say the words.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 08:02 am
Chai wrote:

I'll bet more of those girls in the basketball prayer circle don't believe in God either, but have just never thought about it.
quote]

And I think that if all of them were atheists, they'd still be just as vicious. Kids usually are cruel and prey on those who are different, this had little to do with religion. (IMO)
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 08:27 am
True coolwhip.

I found it amusing when some of the Christian people were being interviewed, I think one person was the ministers wife.

When discussing atheists, she said something like "We're not really sure WHAT (the atheists) believe in"

um...well....let me try and explain.... Rolling Eyes

That low % John Stossel gave of the % of atheists in this country just bothered me, so I did some googling. Not on the percentage, but on well known people who are atheists.

Can't remember exactly, but it seems that 4 or 5, maybe more, of our presidents were non-believers, most recently I think was Taft.

Now don't tell me there have been none since Taft, it's just that they don't feel it would be beneficial to their careers to mention it. Also, I'll bet there more more than the names listed.

I happen to be someone who does believe in God, in that there is some power that started this all, and is still around. However, it rarely if ever comes up in conversation. I think people believe or don't believe, but on the whole don't feel the need to talk about it.

It's the believers that get in your face that cause the conflict....just like the atheists that get in your face....it's action, then reaction...from BOTH sides.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 12:33 pm
I'm still trying to figure out how the percentage of people who believe/don't believe/are unsure was germane to the story. Such statistics are usually absent in other stories of religious bigotry as well as stories of ethnic/racial bigotry. And there's also a mistaken notion presented in this piece that 'belief in a higher power' equals 'religious faith.' Ninety-one percent of Americans might believe in a higher power, but according to the American Religious Identification Survey of 2001, only 81% of Americans identified themselves as being of any specific religious group. Since this has been part of a statistical trend, it is likely that the number of people who do not identify themselves with any religious group has grown since then.

But all that is irrelevant. The child was likely discriminated against and, if true, I hope that school district is forced to pay a whopping settlement.
0 Replies