Pope's foot in mouth disease

xingu

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 07:00 pm
Tribal Indians condemn pope

Indian leaders in Brazil have reacted angrily to comments by Pope Benedict that they had been purified by the Roman Catholic church since Columbus landed in the Americas in 1492.

In a speech to bishops at the end of a visit to Brazil on Sunday, Benedict said indigenous people of the Americas had welcomed European priests after conquest.

"It's arrogant and disrespectful to consider our cultural heritage secondary to theirs," said Jecinaldo Satere Mawe, chief co-ordinator of Coiab, an Amazon Indian group.

The pope had said the peoples of the Americas had a "silent longing" for Christianity and welcomed European priests' arrival.

He said the church had not imposed itself on the indigenous peoples of the Americas.

Colonisation
Since Colombus's landing, millions of tribal Indians are believed to have died as a result of European colonisation backed by the Roman Catholic church through murder, disease or enslavement.

Many Indians today struggle for survival, stripped of their traditional ways of life and excluded from society.

Indian groups sent a letter to Benedict last week asking for support in defending their ancestral lands and culture.

The letter said the Indians had suffered a "process of genocide" since the first European colonisers had arrived.

Priests blessed conquistadors as they waged war on tribal Indians.

'Poorly advised'
Other tribal leaders also voiced their criticism on Monday.

Dionito Jose de Souza, a leader of the Makuxi tribe in northern Roraima state, said: "The state used the church to do the dirty work in colonising the Indians but they already asked forgiveness for that ... so is the pope taking back the church's word?"

Pope John Paul II spoke in 1992 of mistakes in the evangelisation of native peoples of the Americas.

"We repudiate the [pope's] comments," said Sandro Tuxa, leader of the movement of northeastern tribes.

"To say the cultural decimation of our people represents a purification is offensive, and frankly, frightening.

"I think [the pope] has been poorly advised."

The Roman Catholic church's own Indian advocacy group in Brazil also criticised Benedict's speech.

Paulo Suess, the advocacy group's adviser, said: "The pope doesn't understand the reality of the Indians here, his statement was wrong and indefensible."

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/D809D115-1128-4092-9BA6-30F716C56052.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,018 • Replies: 18
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 07:24 pm
Solipsism personified.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 07:11 pm
Its not so much that the Pope suffers from foot in mouth disease - just that he's deeply reactionary.

Now, a Vatican cardinal has called on Catholics to boycott Amnesty International.. why? Because it adopted a policy urging governments to ensure access to abortion services for women in the case of rape, incest or when pregnancy represents a risk to the mother's life or a grave risk to her health.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 10:34 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Solipsism personified.

This is, at best, an interesting comment.

Interesting in that "personified Solipsism" would seem to be something of an intellectual Mobeius Strip.

However...to suggest that Benedict in any way personifies Solipsism suggest a less than firm grasp of the concept.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 10:38 pm
Really? I've followed the man for years. Our opinions may differ.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 10:49 pm
Re: Pope's foot in mouth disease
xingu wrote:
Tribal Indians condemn pope

Indian leaders in Brazil have reacted angrily to comments by Pope Benedict that they had been purified by the Roman Catholic church since Columbus landed in the Americas in 1492.

In a speech to bishops at the end of a visit to Brazil on Sunday, Benedict said indigenous people of the Americas had welcomed European priests after conquest.

"It's arrogant and disrespectful to consider our cultural heritage secondary to theirs," said Jecinaldo Satere Mawe, chief co-ordinator of Coiab, an Amazon Indian group.

The pope had said the peoples of the Americas had a "silent longing" for Christianity and welcomed European priests' arrival.

He said the church had not imposed itself on the indigenous peoples of the Americas.

Colonisation
Since Colombus's landing, millions of tribal Indians are believed to have died as a result of European colonisation backed by the Roman Catholic church through murder, disease or enslavement.

Many Indians today struggle for survival, stripped of their traditional ways of life and excluded from society.

Indian groups sent a letter to Benedict last week asking for support in defending their ancestral lands and culture.

The letter said the Indians had suffered a "process of genocide" since the first European colonisers had arrived.

Priests blessed conquistadors as they waged war on tribal Indians.

'Poorly advised'
Other tribal leaders also voiced their criticism on Monday.

Dionito Jose de Souza, a leader of the Makuxi tribe in northern Roraima state, said: "The state used the church to do the dirty work in colonising the Indians but they already asked forgiveness for that ... so is the pope taking back the church's word?"

Pope John Paul II spoke in 1992 of mistakes in the evangelisation of native peoples of the Americas.

"We repudiate the [pope's] comments," said Sandro Tuxa, leader of the movement of northeastern tribes.

"To say the cultural decimation of our people represents a purification is offensive, and frankly, frightening.

"I think [the pope] has been poorly advised."

The Roman Catholic church's own Indian advocacy group in Brazil also criticised Benedict's speech.

Paulo Suess, the advocacy group's adviser, said: "The pope doesn't understand the reality of the Indians here, his statement was wrong and indefensible."

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/D809D115-1128-4092-9BA6-30F716C56052.htm

Today's amazing world!

This is The Pope for God's sake.

If one believes, as The Pope must, that the teachings of The Church are the path to salvation, does it make any sense at all that he would argue that these teachings in the New World, irrespective of methodology, were fundamentally wrong?

Hey, I'm with all of you that argue that Catholic missionaries in the New World were something far less than utterly benevolent forces, but do you really expect The Pope to agree?

Give me a break.

You don't really get to be indigenous pagan versions of Catholics. You are either Catholics or you are not. I would suggest that you should not be Catholics, or Christians of any stripe, but that's up to you. If you choose to believe though, stop this self-absorbed, politically correct belly-aching. If you do not want to follow the strictures of The Pope, move on, and form your own Church.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 10:50 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Really? I've followed the man for years. Our opinions may differ.

Clearly they do, but please enlighten me. I could easily be mistaken.
0 Replies

username

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 11:33 pm
That's a little like saying it's all right for Hitler to condemn Jews because what would you expect of him, he's a Nazi after all. Benedict really shows a profound ignorance of the history of the Americas when he says that. The church really was a part of genocide and cultural genocide, forced conversions, forced labor, and collusion with oligarchies that monopolized all resources for the benefit of the few. The Spanish, the Portugese, the English, the French all behaved shamefully. To say that the indigenous peoples had a silent longing for that forced conversion is a supremely silly statement. I find it offensive that someone would try to whitewash what went on, and I'm not indigenous, just trained as an Americanist.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 11:54 pm
username wrote:
That's a little like saying it's all right for Hitler to condemn Jews because what would you expect of him, he's a Nazi after all. Benedict really shows a profound ignorance of the history of the Americas when he says that. The church really was a part of genocide and cultural genocide, forced conversions, forced labor, and collusion with oligarchies that monopolized all resources for the benefit of the few. The Spanish, the Portugese, the English, the French all behaved shamefully. To say that the indigenous peoples had a silent longing for that forced conversion is a supremely silly statement. I find it offensive that someone would try to whitewash what went on, and I'm not indigenous, just trained as an Americanist.

Glib (I guess) but nonsense. Benedict did not condemn anyone. To suggest his comments were, in any way, similar to Hitler's hateful rants is pure ignorance.

You are offended! Oh no! Look out Benedict here's someone that finds you offensive!

Whether or not Indians (you know at least the American variety prefer this sobriquet to any other) had a silent longing for conversion is immaterial. Personally, I'm certain that they did not. Personally, I would have preferred that they more strenuously resisted Catholic conversion, but my personal opinions, (like yours) are immaterial in terms of history and truth.

The question is not whether or not Benedict's perception of history is accurate (and since it involves underlying desires how can you or I categorically dispute it?), the question is whether or not he, as the foremost representative of his faith, should feel compelled to argue that the expansion of that faith was not a positive force, but an evil.

Of course not, and if you have a problem with this, don't be a Catholic.

I couldn't care less about how many people reside with the Catholic faith, but intellectually I have a problem with those who would suggest that their perception of that faith supersedes that of their annoited leader.

This, unfortunately, is the way of today's world. People want to wear the mantle of organizations, for whatever silly reason they may have to do so, but they want to shape their membership in ways that have no compliance with the organization's tenets.

If you think The Pope an ass, leave the Catholic church because he, and not you, is the Holy See.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 05:04 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
If you think The Pope an ass, leave the Catholic church because he, and not you, is the Holy See.

Not so!

The Pope is no more the Catholic Church than President Bush is America. The Pope is the temporary head of the Catholic Church (I say temporary because he will die someday). Catholics doesn't look at who's elected to the See and make a decision as to whether they should leave the Church or stay depending upon their feeling for the Pope. The Catholic Church is greater than the Pope just as America is greater than the President.

The Catholic Church is a very large organization so it stands to reason there will be a variety of opinions as to how it should be run.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 05:25 am
xingu.....

The Catholic Church is not a democracy.
The Pope was not elected by the people

The Pope is the Supreme Head of the Catholic Church. His edicts, proclaimations, etc are not up to debate.
The Pope represents Christ on earth, not the people.

If a person feels they are are devote Catholic, they may very well not agree personally with the Pope, but they are bound to obey him.

Based on a quick Google, here are THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POPE

Those who so disagree with the Pope have gone out and splintered from the Catholic Church, or left completely.

Otherwise, one submits to the will of the Church.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 05:30 am
Chai wrote:
xingu.....

The Catholic Church is not a democracy.
The Pope was not elected by the people

The Pope is the Supreme Head of the Catholic Church. His edicts, proclaimations, etc are not up to debate.
The Pope represents Christ on earth, not the people.

If a person feels they are are devote Catholic, they may very well not agree personally with the Pope, but they are bound to obey him.

Based on a quick Google, here are THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POPE

Those who so disagree with the Pope have gone out and splintered from the Catholic Church, or left completely.

Otherwise, one submits to the will of the Church.

Well, that's from the encyclopedia printed in the early 20th century.

But even then it wasn't in accordance with Canon Law (though broadly considered so).
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 08:00 am
I'll admit that was the first thing that popped up when I googled "functions of the pope"....not entirely scientific. Cool

The point I was attempting was that the Pope is not an elected by the people. He is not concerned about popularity ratings, he upholds the law of the Catholic Church as Christs representative on earth.

Albeit, I'm no good, Catholic, I'm not a Catholic at all.

However, the notion that a Catholic who does try to live by the laws of the church is not in a position to ignore or pick and choose which proclaimations of the the pope he/she agrees with and would like to follow.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 08:09 am
Chai wrote:

However, the notion that a Catholic who does try to live by the laws of the church is not in a position to ignore or pick and choose which proclaimations of the the pope he/she agrees with and would like to follow.

Not true.

But Papal Encyclicals, even when they are not ex cathedra, can nonetheless be sufficiently authoritative to end theological debate on a particular question.

Otherwsie, only Papal dogmata are 'law'.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 08:44 am
what a jackass.

hitler commits genocide = evil

cathlolics commit genocide = purification

gg.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 09:21 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Chai wrote:

Not true.

But Papal Encyclicals, even when they are not ex cathedra, can nonetheless be sufficiently authoritative to end theological debate on a particular question.

Otherwsie, only Papal dogmata are 'law'.

I'm not sure what some of those terms mean walter, can you please explain

ex cathedra?

Papal dogmata?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 09:27 am
Take the pope and his goofy ass suite and put in a con-home.

Hes like the George Bush of the Cathlic church.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vatican_Bank

http://www.vaticanbankclaims.com/
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 08:47 am
Again the Pope gets foot in mouth disease. This time he's pissing off the Christians.

Quote:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070710/ap_on_re_eu/pope_other_christians;_ylt=AtInl.QnVbBwEOxWxLBIQVvMWM0F
0 Replies

stevewonder

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 02:45 pm
Is it just me or does the Pope look like the Sith Lord???? Confused
0 Replies