history channel and story of moses

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 02:48 am
i caught a little bit of a show on history channel, basically it went through what moses did and gave scientific reasonable explanations for everything that happened.

For example:When moses crosses the red sea, instead of god seperating the waters they said that moses actually went to a place called "the reed sea?", where it was swampy and low tide made it possible for them to cross.

They also went on to explain how jericho was really taken.they took the best and most disciplined soldiers, "spec-ops" basically, and had them infiltrate the walls using the prostitutes help,and they used the march around the city and the horns as a distraction while they killed the gate guards, which is why he kept saying there were to many troops over and over until they had enough.

interesting to say the least.

Im not saying its true, but i didnt have time to finish it and started partway thru the show, I just want to know if anyone else saw this and whether or not they had proof, or its all theory.(im guessing its theory?)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,571 • Replies: 5
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 04:20 am
'Course it's theory, since the biblical stories aren't proven, either.

The bottom line is, these are legends and the History Channel, during Sweeps Month, attempts to offer explanations for why ancient folks came up with such legends and notions.

Were there people in that area in ancient times? Yes
Did they go to war? You know any period of history when people didn't go to war?
Did they have slavery? Yes; emancipation is a relatively new concept
Did slaves occasionally revolt? Probably; humanitarian treatment of all is also a relatively new concept
Does it mean that either of these legends is based in fact? Maybe yes, maybe no. Maybe maybe
Does the History Channel want good ratings during Sweeps Month? You betcha!
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 04:45 am
I WAS HOPING THEY DISCOVERED something while i wasn't paying attention.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 04:55 am
The History Channel reruns that show fairly often. I may have seen it all the way through once. They came up with scientific explanations (conjecture) for most of the incidents reported in the story of Exodus.

There was no proof. Just possible explanations for what is said to have happened. In order for there to be proof, you'd have to be able to prove that what the bible says really happened. As Jespah said, there's no proof for any of it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 06:17 am
The "History" Channel is a commercial enterprise (the first thing to which Jespah alluded), and therefore, what passes for "history" among those boys and girls is governed by a desire to attract the largest possible audience. I have found little of interest on the History channel. Often, they have half-hour shows, or even hour-long shows, which offer about five or ten minutes of interesting (although often neither new nor noteworthy) contentions about history, and the rest is shamelessly padded. They broadcast reruns of CSI, for chrissake.

The "History" Channel bears almost exactly that relationship to history that Christian Science does to science.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 08:11 am
Re: history channel and story of moses
OGIONIK wrote:
i caught a little bit of a show on history channel, basically it went through what moses did and gave scientific reasonable explanations for everything that happened.

For example:When moses crosses the red sea, instead of god seperating the waters they said that moses actually went to a place called "the reed sea?", where it was swampy and low tide made it possible for them to cross.

They also went on to explain how jericho was really taken.they took the best and most disciplined soldiers, "spec-ops" basically, and had them infiltrate the walls using the prostitutes help,and they used the march around the city and the horns as a distraction while they killed the gate guards, which is why he kept saying there were to many troops over and over until they had enough.

interesting to say the least.

Im not saying its true, but i didnt have time to finish it and started partway thru the show, I just want to know if anyone else saw this and whether or not they had proof, or its all theory.(im guessing its theory?)

Apropos of what is actually "reported" by the History Channel of the Torah (the Jewish "bible") -
It is called the "Sea of Reeds," not the Red Sea. The Red Sea was a later easier mistranslation for Christians. And, it literally says that "G-d caused a strong East wind to blow" all night... In other words, there ain't no Cecil B. Demille moment in the Torah when Moses splits the sea into towering walls of water. According to the Torah, all of G-d's miracles should be able to be explained by "natural events," thereby giving free will to any observers who can choose to believe whether it was caused by G-d or not.
The same with Jericho - the above depiction vis a vis the prostitute is a fairly accurate description of what is in the Torah.
"Joshua fit de battle of Jericho..." is a nice Christian (Negro spiritual) song that describes what the Christians thought happened, not what the Torah says happened...
0 Replies