[answered]Quoting Material In a Post

sumac

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 06:49 pm
I just tested something out in the Testing forum, and I suppose I should check out my assumptions.

Early on I noticed that using the
Quote:
text
(or QUOTE (text) /QUOTE) code resulted in the placement of the quoted material in a fairly narrow white rectangular box in the middle of the page. This would be fine if the material was of relatively short duration.

However, there have been times when I have wanted to place an entire article or column in a post. On the assumption that the relative narrowness of the white box would cause the post to be longer than it needed to be, I changed over to the old-fashioned method of placing quotation marks before and at the close of the quoted material. This allowed the material to go from margin to margin, thus taking up less space, less scrolling, and you could do it from 'Quick Reply' and didn't have to link to 'Post a Reply'.

Am I correct in assuming that utilizing less space in a post is a good thing, generally speaking? Curious minds want to know.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,132 • Replies: 4
No top replies

sumac

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 06:55 pm
Specifically, in the Testing Forum, under "trying stuff" I used the same quote in the two different ways. Using the
Quote:
method used 8 lines, but the old-fashioned way took only 5 lines.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 07:43 pm
In general I'd guess that using less space is a good thing but I'm not sure if you really save any by using quotation marks around text instead of using the quote/unquote feature.

The text in the white box is a different font that is smaller so while it may use more lines each line is smaller and there is less "white space" between the lines.

In the end I don't know if it really makes much difference to most users one way or the other. I like the white box because it clearly seperates your words from the words you are quoting.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 06:32 pm
OK, but still there is less scrolling and you don't have to go to "Post a Reply".
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 07:49 pm
You can just type the code in the quick reply box... I do all the time.

Quote:
I'm writing this in the quick reply box now... just bracket "quote" bracket, text, then bracket "/quote" bracket.
0 Replies