Global Warming

gollum

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 05:29 am
1. Do the oceans hold 70 times as much CO2 as the atmosphere?

2. Is colder ocean water able to hold more CO2 than warmer water?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 746 • Replies: 3
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 09:22 am
Re: Global Warming
gollum wrote:
1. Do the oceans hold 70 times as much CO2 as the atmosphere?

I don't know.
gollum wrote:
2. Is colder ocean water able to hold more CO2 than warmer water?

Yes.
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 11:46 am
Global Warming
Rosborne979-
Thank you for your reply.

The reason for my question is an article I read in a respected newsletter that states the theory that:

1. Global warming is real;

2. The increase in CO2 in the atmosphere is real;

3. However, it challenges the dominant scientific view at the present time that the increase in CO2 in the atmosphere is a significant cause of global warming. Instead, it argues that the global warming occurred first and consistent with your answer reduced the ability of the oceans to hold CO2. This, the author claims, caused part of the CO2 in the oceans to escape into the atmosphere, resulting in the increased levels of CO2 that has been observed.

I have not arrived at a firm conclusion. I asked my question as part of my consideration of the matter.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 05:43 pm
Re: Global Warming
gollum wrote:
Rosborne979-
Thank you for your reply.

The reason for my question is an article I read in a respected newsletter that states the theory that:

1. Global warming is real;

2. The increase in CO2 in the atmosphere is real;

3. However, it challenges the dominant scientific view at the present time that the increase in CO2 in the atmosphere is a significant cause of global warming. Instead, it argues that the global warming occurred first and consistent with your answer reduced the ability of the oceans to hold CO2. This, the author claims, caused part of the CO2 in the oceans to escape into the atmosphere, resulting in the increased levels of CO2 that has been observed.

I have not arrived at a firm conclusion. I asked my question as part of my consideration of the matter.

Hi Gollum,

Global warming is definitely real. Nobody argues the fact that the temperature is going up. The only thing being debated is the cause or causes.

In my opinion, our greenhouse gas production is contributing to, but not causing global warming. The ice core samples over the past 650k years show that global warming has happened many times on a fairly regular basis and it had nothing to do with us.

Here is a link the thread I started on this a while ago.

Again, in my opinion, we are contributing to global warming, but not causing it. The part I'm not sure about yet is just how much we are contributing to it.

I think our activities are probably shortening the timeframe in which we have to prepare for the inevitible. First it's going to be a rise in sea level, probably in our lifetime. But ultimately it's going to be the impending temperature crash and glaciation which always follows these spikes.

Mixed in with all the hard facts and uncertainty are political and business interests. It makes for a very high powered and volitile subject to study.
0 Replies