Haute Couture ... directly from prison

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 10:03 am
Stuck for a new look this summer? Many people wanting to revamp their wardrobe are turning to fashions created, worn and sold by inmates at the Tegel prison in Berlin.
The fashion world is a fickle one. No one with any sense of what's hot and what's not would be seen dead in anything other than the latest collections. In an industry where black is the new brown, which was in turn last year's green, and where the label means more than the common sense and practicality of the ensemble, a new trend is hitting the streets of Berlin and spreading fast. This summer, those trend-conscious Europeans can be inspired by a new look: prison chic.

Don't be fooled. Anyone taking to the streets in suits emblazoned with arrows, manacles or Death Row orange overalls will be making a fashion faux pas of disastrous proportions. Subtlety and authenticity are the key here. The range that's rapidly becoming the latest in cult clothing comes not from the boutiques of Paris but from the very workshops of the Tegel prison in Berlin.

more here: From the Jailhouse to the Runway
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 879 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 10:06 am
The homepage is here

http://www.haeftling.de/

Click on the picture, then delete the pop-up window ("Thank you...", guarantee etc in it), click on "Produkte" and see, what they've got (and the pricer for it. [ 1.14 $ = 1 EURO)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 10:23 am
OMFG....this sounds like like that Ben Stiller movie parodying the fashion industry, 'Zoolander'. The evil villain launched a fashion campaign called 'Derelichte' (sp.?) based on clothing worn by the homeless. This is too funny....the shallow life imitates art indeed....
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 10:39 am
I think that it is a good idea. The prisoners earn some money, plus they are gaining a marketable skill, as well as learning good employee habits.

My concern is that is stays a small business connected to the prison only. I would hate to see some corporation making a profit from the labor of these prisoners.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 12:09 pm
Phoenix

There really is some profit, and the business is quite professiona, with an public relations/advertising agency at hand.

The money, which is ernt, however, goes mostly to the Justice Department (here: the one in the [state of] Berlin.)
Prisoners are only allowed (differs a little bit from state to state) to earn about (less than) 1 $/h.

There are prisons selling (organic) fruits and plants, others have a bakery, butchery, print office, cable-manufactoring .... But no-one can earn much, even when staying there "life-long".
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 12:15 pm
Walter- As far as I am concerned, that is fine. It would be nice though, if the company earns substantial money, to start a fund for victims of the crimes.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 12:55 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
It would be nice though, if the company earns substantial money, to start a fund for victims of the crimes.

That can't happen, since prisons are run by the state here, and such funds are private.
As far as I remember (and it's about 15 years ago, since I was in prison [working that is, honestly! :wink: ], prison administration tried to use the earnings for getting some "nice things" -like flowers, books, etc- which weren't high reputated in the budget.
Most of the earnt money, however, had been a fix post to get a balanced budget.
0 Replies