National Day of Prayer

au1929

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 09:04 am
Bush appeal highlights National Day of Prayer
By Arlo Wagner
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
May 4, 2007

The 55th annual National Day of Prayer yesterday was highlighted by President Bush's appeal to people of all faiths to pray for guidance in the future of the United States.
"A prayerful spirit has always been an important part of our national character," he said. "Americans of many faiths and traditions share a common belief that God hears the prayers of his children and shows grace to those who seek Him."
The proclamation also included prayers for "the brave members of our Armed Forces," and for the 32 Virginia Tech students and teachers fatally shot April 16 and their families.
Outside the Supreme Court, William J. Murray, the Christian son of a prominent atheist, helpedlead prayers. Mr. Murray, of the Religious Freedom Coalition, is the son of Madalyn Murray O'Hair, who was outspoken in her anti-religious beliefs. She and another son, Jon, and daughter Robin were murdered in 2000.
Similar prayers were scheduled yesterday in the capitals of the 50 states. Congress ordered the "national day" in 1952. President Reagan in 1988 designated the third day of May for unification of the prayers.
In the District, the observance this year began Sunday evening as students and adults from across the country began reading the Bible aloud on the West Lawn of the Capitol. They concluded the reading about 90 hours later, yesterday afternoon, a couple hours before a three-hour session of prayers began there.
About 1,000 volunteers participated in the reading marathon, said Michael Hall, who with his wife, Terry Schaffer Hall, directs the U.S. Capitol Bible Reading Marathon.
"We have people from every state," Mr. Hall said. "It's a celebration of the First Amendment Rights."
In accord with the rule that all religions and faiths participate, the marathon offered 107 non-English Bibles to foreign participants.
The day was also observed during the noon hour at the Pentagon, with Col. William Broome, an Army chaplain, presiding.
Kenneth Bronstein, founder of the Center for Atheism, designated that atheist members donate blood on that day.
Among prominent people who urged observance of National Day of Prayer was Tony Dungy, 51, coach of the professional Indianapolis Colts football team.
An estimated 2 million people in the United States participated in the National Day of Prayer in 2006.

This may be a feel good gesture and moment however all I can think to say. WHY BOTHER?

Do you think it is a meaningfull exercise?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,422 • Replies: 21
No top replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 09:07 am
I guess it depends on whether or not you believe in God as to whether or not one believes it is a meaningful exercise.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 09:09 am
If there is a God how could he allow people like Bush to exist?
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 09:14 am
amen. ^^^^^
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 10:31 am
A National Day of Prayer isn't my cup of tea, but it's also no skin off my nose.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 10:48 am
IMO, a NATIONAL day of prayer implies that prayer is something that is embraced by all Americans. I find the whole idea offensive. It is not a big deal, but philosophically, it is dividing Americans into two camps, those who pray, and those who don't. But what the hell, I'll ignore it, and it will soon be over.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 03:55 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
IMO, a NATIONAL day of prayer implies that prayer is something that is embraced by all Americans. I find the whole idea offensive. It is not a big deal, but philosophically, it is dividing Americans into two camps, those who pray, and those who don't. But what the hell, I'll ignore it, and it will soon be over.

I agree.

I think Bush has failed his oath of office to defend the constitution and has actively defaced it with this national day of prayer (even if he didn't start it, I like to blame him anyway Wink.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 04:03 pm
If it keeps those bastards off the streets for even a few hours it's worth it.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 04:03 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:

I agree.

I think Bush has failed his oath of office to defend the constitution and has actively defaced it with this national day of prayer (even if he didn't start it, I like to blame him anyway Wink.

Constitution! Bush does not seem to recognize it.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 04:04 pm
Quote:
In accord with the rule that all religions and faiths participate, the marathon offered 107 non-English Bibles to foreign participants.

Shocked

Confused

Laughing

Anyone else see a problem with that statement?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 04:06 pm
If the foreigners can't read the bible in jesus own lanuguage they ain't christians to begin with, this is AMERICA gawdamnit.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 04:14 pm
dyslexia wrote:
If the foreigners can't read the bible in jesus own lanuguage they ain't christians to begin with, this is AMERICA gawdamnit.

If you go to the shopping area where I live you would never know it. Everything but English spoken there.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 04:16 pm
Not many of us know Aramaic (was that what it was?)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 04:20 pm
In 1832, during a cholera epidemic, religious types called on President Andrew Jackson to declare a national day of fasting, humiliation and prayer. Jackson refused to do so. Writing to the General Synod of the Dutch Reformed Church, he stated, on the subject of his refusal: "I could not do otherwise without transcending the limits prescribed by the Constitution for the President and without feeling that I might in some degree disturb the security which religion nowadays enjoys in this country in its complete separation from the political concerns of the General Government."

We are fallen on sad times, and the caliber of our Presidents is much reduced.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 04:26 pm
ossobuco wrote:

No, it said "In accord with the rule that all religions and faiths participate, the marathon offered 107 non-English Bibles to foreign participants." And, then they handed out BIBLES (Christian) in different languages as if that met the criteria.

To have all religions participate in the National Day of Prayer, wouldn't they have needed to pass out some Korans and other books of faith?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 04:32 pm
Okay, on re-reading the article I see that was part of the marathon Bible reading that was held by one organizer and his wife.

Still interesting that they include that rule in their marathon and ask that people of other religions read the Bible in celebration of the First Amendment.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 04:36 pm
ossobuco wrote:

That was the language spoken in Palestine when the putative Jesus existed, if he ever existed. It is less than certain that all of the texts which make up the "New Testament" were written when Christians claim that they were, and for whatever language they were originally written in, by the time any copies which have survived first appeared, they were written in Greek or Latin. The Old Testament was likely written in antique Israeli script (as distinguished from the later, restoration Israeli script), while later portions were written in Hebraic script. The Pentateuch was revised in the 6th century BCE, and that was almost certainly written in Hebraic script. The Aramaic merchants who spread confessional Judaism far and wide in Asia more than two thousand years ago undoubtedly had the Torah translated into their own language, and that undoubtedly was available in Aramaic in Palestine two thousand years ago.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 04:36 pm
I was responding to Dys' comment...

I'm a little let us all pray together phobic. Comes from my perplexity at some city council meetings.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 07:17 pm
We should all pray my way

naked, in a circle with candles and goats blood.

Cuz, you know Im one of those new age witchy things and all..

so

whos up for it? Very Happy
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 07:39 pm
dyslexia wrote:
If it keeps those bastards off the streets for even a few hours it's worth it.

Damn.

I just sprayed a nice Syrah out my nose. If my jacket doesn't come clean dys is going to owe me..... ohhhh..... about $17.00 (and another bottle of wine).
0 Replies