0
   

christian faith questions

 
 
OGIONIK
 
Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 08:24 am
1-how do people say the bible is the word of god, when it was obviously written by men? what proof is there god wrote it? all that is known is that a man said god told him.

2- why do people that follow god always end up killing people?
i mean its so cyclical, the crusades, even back to jericho, christians seem to always be on a psychotic rampage.If you dont like the stereotype, then you admit that god is wrong, or you deny the bible itself. you cant "faith" your way out of that.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 843 • Replies: 12
No top replies

 
CoastalRat
 
  1  
Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 12:49 pm
I'll assume you are not trying to bait someone here and give you an answer. The only real answer to question 1 is that Christians take the Bible as God's word on faith. We believe that the writers were inspired by God. Simple as that. Much the same way that when you read a biography of someone, written by a third party, that you need to take it for granted that the writer is using source materials or actually has talked to people close to his subject in order to write his book, and not just made things up.

Question 2 is rather easy. Whether one claims to be a Christian or not, one is still faced with the same temptations that all man is faced with. (Greed, lust, envy, etc.) Throughout history, mankind has used many different reasons for acting on these sins. Religious reasons are just one of those. Also, many have claimed religious reasons for their actions in order to justify said actions. Making the claim of Christianity does not make someone a Christian.

Hope this gives you a perspective you had not thought of before.

Have a good day.
0 Replies
 
stlstrike3
 
  1  
Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 03:11 pm
Hm. So if a book was divinely inspired, how is it that there are contradictions within the bible itself? If the creator of the universe wrote this book, should it not be flawless?

And if we are to assume for a moment that the bible has some inaccuracies due to the human conduit the information came through, then how can we treat it as the infallible word of the creator?

The bible minces no words in regards to women not being allowed to speak in authority over a man. Jesus tells us to treat our slaves well (and interestingly didn't tell us it was immoral to KEEP slaves). In addition to the much trumpeted denouncement of homosexuals, little is heard from those adhering so stringently to the words of the sacred text about the equally abominable act of consumption of shellfish, wearing of blended fabrics, and having sex with menstruating women.

What about working on the sabbath? They stoned a man to death because he was gathering wood. What about HETEROSEXUAL ADULTERERS?!? The bible tells us to kill these people as well.

So, if the Bible is the inerrant word of god, then god is an abhorant creature.

If the Bible is NOT the inerrant word of god... then by what standard do we generate our morality?
0 Replies
 
neologist
 
  1  
Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 05:06 pm
Apparent contradictions exist in the mental inclinations of the reader.
0 Replies
 
real life
 
  1  
Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 12:39 pm
stlstrike3 wrote:
If the Bible is NOT the inerrant word of god... then by what standard do we generate our morality?


Good question, strike.

Is morality something that is absolute (for instance, if it is given to us by the God of the Bible, and applies to all of us) ?

Or is morality something that is relative (for instance, each man determines for himself what is and is not 'moral' for his own situation, it is simply his opinion) ?

What do you think?
0 Replies
 
Eorl
 
  1  
Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 06:16 pm
or for instance, if it is given to us by the God of the Koran, and applies to all of us.
0 Replies
 
Bartikus
 
  1  
Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 02:20 am
stlstrike3 wrote:
. Jesus tells us to treat our slaves well (and interestingly didn't tell us it was immoral to KEEP slaves).

What about working on the sabbath? They stoned a man to death because he was gathering wood. What about HETEROSEXUAL ADULTERERS?!? The bible tells us to kill these people as well.


Jesus does want us to treat slaves well but Jesus also knows that mankind has developed a rebellious streak designed to destroy us and Christ!

However ....Jesus is risen (SOM... SOG)Wink

Working on the sabbath? Doing God's work on the sabbath is fine. Which would be wrong on the sabbath? To do good or evil?

Why kill Adulterer's. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Let Jesus. Vengeance is mine saith the Lord...(jesus)
0 Replies
 
Diest TKO
 
  1  
Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 02:43 am
Bartikus wrote:
stlstrike3 wrote:
. Jesus tells us to treat our slaves well (and interestingly didn't tell us it was immoral to KEEP slaves).

What about working on the sabbath? They stoned a man to death because he was gathering wood. What about HETEROSEXUAL ADULTERERS?!? The bible tells us to kill these people as well.


Jesus does want us to treat slaves well but Jesus also knows that mankind has developed a rebellious streak designed to destroy us and Christ!

Your statement reads with the relavance of the following:

Jesus does want us to treat slaves well but jesus also knows that checking your oil every 3000 miles is a good thing to do, and if you don't you destroy us and Christ!
Bartikus wrote:

However ....Jesus is risen (SOM... SOG)Wink

phew... Well I guess the burden of answering the slave questino goes to someone else....
Bartikus wrote:

Working on the sabbath? Doing God's work on the sabbath is fine. Which would be wrong on the sabbath? To do good or evil?

So collecting wood was either NOT god's work and he should have been stoned, or it was God's work, and he shouldn't have been stoned? You fail to answer the question.
Bartikus wrote:

Why kill Adulterer's. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Let Jesus. Vengeance is mine saith the Lord...(jesus)

Why? The bible says so. That's the point of the post. Read first. He;s not saying that they should be stoned, he's saying that your book says that they should, yet that aren't being killed, so what is wrong:

Disobeying god by not killing adulterers, or killing them?

Which one? You are talking out of both sides of your mouth. As for giving Jesus the first stone, then he should throw some stones or take the time to explicitly state that we should not kill adulterers.
0 Replies
 
Bartikus
 
  1  
Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 02:48 am
Diest TKO wrote:
Bartikus wrote:
stlstrike3 wrote:
. Jesus tells us to treat our slaves well (and interestingly didn't tell us it was immoral to KEEP slaves).

What about working on the sabbath? They stoned a man to death because he was gathering wood. What about HETEROSEXUAL ADULTERERS?!? The bible tells us to kill these people as well.


Jesus does want us to treat slaves well but Jesus also knows that mankind has developed a rebellious streak designed to destroy us and Christ!

Your statement reads with the relavance of the following:

Jesus does want us to treat slaves well but jesus also knows that checking your oil every 3000 miles is a good thing to do, and if you don't you destroy us and Christ!
Bartikus wrote:

However ....Jesus is risen (SOM... SOG)Wink

phew... Well I guess the burden of answering the slave questino goes to someone else....
Bartikus wrote:

Working on the sabbath? Doing God's work on the sabbath is fine. Which would be wrong on the sabbath? To do good or evil?

So collecting wood was either NOT god's work and he should have been stoned, or it was God's work, and he shouldn't have been stoned? You fail to answer the question.
Bartikus wrote:

Why kill Adulterer's. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Let Jesus. Vengeance is mine saith the Lord...(jesus)

Why? The bible says so. That's the point of the post. Read first. He;s not saying that they should be stoned, he's saying that your book says that they should, yet that aren't being killed, so what is wrong:

Disobeying god by not killing adulterers, or killing them?

Which one? You are talking out of both sides of your mouth. As for giving Jesus the first stone, then he should throw some stones or take the time to explicitly state that we should not kill adulterers.


Jesus is the rock.....Hey batter!
0 Replies
 
Diest TKO
 
  1  
Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 02:51 am
Is there some old metaphore with rocks and batters that I don't know about?

If not, you last post makes no sense.
0 Replies
 
EpiNirvana
 
  1  
Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 09:57 am
Re: christian faith questions
OGIONIK wrote:
1-how do people say the bible is the word of god, when it was obviously written by men? what proof is there god wrote it? all that is known is that a man said god told him.

2- why do people that follow god always end up killing people?
i mean its so cyclical, the crusades, even back to jericho, christians seem to always be on a psychotic rampage.If you dont like the stereotype, then you admit that god is wrong, or you deny the bible itself. you cant "faith" your way out of that.


Well to prove the bible is false you could point out that the hebrews were polytheist. I mean even the chosen nation of Jehova is Is-ra-el, Isis Ra and El are three egyptian gods. I really doubt that that was "God inspired".
0 Replies
 
stlstrike3
 
  1  
Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 10:02 am
Just wait.

Someone will use some perversion of "logic" to explain this incongruency away as well.

"They were all really referring to the same god, and one they realized that, blah blah blah blah yadda yadda..."
0 Replies
 
neologist
 
  1  
Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 07:30 pm
Re: christian faith questions
EpiNirvana wrote:
OGIONIK wrote:
1-how do people say the bible is the word of god, when it was obviously written by men? what proof is there god wrote it? all that is known is that a man said god told him.

2- why do people that follow god always end up killing people?
i mean its so cyclical, the crusades, even back to jericho, christians seem to always be on a psychotic rampage.If you dont like the stereotype, then you admit that god is wrong, or you deny the bible itself. you cant "faith" your way out of that.


Well to prove the bible is false you could point out that the hebrews were polytheist. I mean even the chosen nation of Jehova is Is-ra-el, Isis Ra and El are three egyptian gods. I really doubt that that was "God inspired".
Stupid me, I always thought the name was given to Jacob after he wrestled with an angel and means ' He who perseveres with God''. I guess it's my fault for having access to a Hebrew lexicon.

What straw man did you consult?
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

700 Inconsistencies in the Bible - Discussion by onevoice
Why do we deliberately fool ourselves? - Discussion by coincidence
Spirituality - Question by Miller
Oneness vs. Trinity - Discussion by Arella Mae
give you chills - Discussion by Bartikus
Evidence for Evolution! - Discussion by Bartikus
Evidence of God! - Discussion by Bartikus
One World Order?! - Discussion by Bartikus
God loves us all....!? - Discussion by Bartikus
The Preambles to Our States - Discussion by Charli
 
  1. Forums
  2. » christian faith questions
Copyright © 2022 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 12/07/2022 at 01:29:55