does time exist?

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 09:15 am
does time exist? or is it merely an "idea"?

Is time fictional, or is it just more accurate to say time is measuring and gauging movement/motion of matter and energy expenditure?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,619 • Replies: 136
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 09:27 am
A great scientist said "times exists to prvent everything from hapening all at once". I forget who said it.
0 Replies

pswfps

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 12:17 pm
Space, time and matter/energy. All three only have meaning relative to the others. That is, if there was no matter/energy then then space and time would be meaningless. Similarly if there was no time then space and matter/energy would be meaningless.

Basically I think it is a false distinction to speak of time and space and matter/energy as separate entities. They are all one in the same.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 03:20 pm
'A Purposeful Life Is A Journey' Metaphor
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 05:49 am
Quote:
Basically I think it is a false distinction to speak of time and space and matter/energy as separate entities. They are all one in the same.

I think so too. Time is the counterpart fo space. The terms give eachother meaning. Matter/energy is the third "ingredient". They are all expressions of some force that manifests to us in as this three-way interplay. It is how we see it, and it has more to do with us than this force. Maybe the decision of wether or not time is real is a matter of how we define "real", more than how we define "time". Or as cob says; time is an abstract idea.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 06:35 am
See, that's the trouble with the whole universe. It's just one thing after another...!! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 06:40 am
Laughing
0 Replies

pswfps

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 07:43 am
LOL, yeah but it's the repeats which annoy me the most.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 08:44 am
pswfps wrote:
Space, time and matter/energy. All three only have meaning relative to the others. That is, if there was no matter/energy then then space and time would be meaningless. Similarly if there was no time then space and matter/energy would be meaningless.

If you actually read any books on quantum physics or relativity you'll find that we do NOT refer to space and time as separate entities. Most all physicists will refer to "space-time" because they are connected at the hip.

As for matter and energy, space can exist without matter. It's called a vacuum. The fact that our terms to describe them are opposing in nature and require one so that the other (the negation) can exist, does not have any bearing on the real world and its ability to exist. This is tantamount to saying that anything we cannot explain or accurately describe does not exist or occur, which is obviously crazy.
0 Replies

pswfps

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 09:04 am
Quote:
If you actually read any books on quantum physics or relativity you'll find that we do NOT refer to space and time as separate entities. Most all physicists will refer to "space-time" because they are connected at the hip.

Yes, I know. I think you've mistaken my meaning here.

Quote:
As for matter and energy, space can exist without matter. It's called a vacuum.

Again I think you've mistaken my meaning. "Matter" is nothing but a localised and highly twisted/energised region of space-time. Therefore matter and vaccum are simply different states of the same thing, namely space-time. Neither matter/energy, space or time exist independantly of space-time. That is what I meant, so until you've taken the time to properly understand what is being said I'd suggest you dispense with the supercilious tone.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 09:13 am
pswfps wrote:
Quote:

Yes, I know. I think you've mistaken my meaning here.

Quote:
As for matter and energy, space can exist without matter. It's called a vacuum.

Again I think you've mistaken my meaning. "Matter" is nothing but a localised and highly twisted/energised region of space-time. Therefore matter and vaccum are simply different states of the same thing, namely space-time. Neither matter/energy, space or time exist independantly of space-time. That is what I meant, so until you've taken the time to properly understand what is being said I'd suggest you dispense with the supercilious tone.

Supercilious... that's a good word.

Anyway, matter and a vacuum are no more differet states of the same thing than are teddybears and icecream. The only way they are "different staes" is if you define an "empty" state and a "non-empty" state. But then, you could define that arbitrary relationship to nearly anything with any number of states. It's completely meaningless.

And by the way, the fact that these things are intertwined is somewhat trivial and in no way is relevant to the initial questions posted. :-)
0 Replies

pswfps

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 09:18 am
Quote:
The only way they are "different staes" is if you define an "empty" state and a "non-empty" state.

That's just a non-sequitur. It is perfectly logical to define a state in relation to another without having to have "nothing" as a frame of reference.

Quote:

Yes, I liked it too. Hey, why not add it to your vocab too?
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 09:22 am
pswfps wrote:
Quote:
The only way they are "different staes" is if you define an "empty" state and a "non-empty" state.

That's just a non-sequitur. It is perfectly logical to define a state in relation to another without having to have "nothing" as a frame of reference.

Not when you're defining a vacuum, which is the lack of energy/matter in a volume of space.

Quote:

Yes, I liked it too. Hey, why not add it to your vocab too?

No thanks. It's somewhat supersfluous.
0 Replies

pswfps

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 09:28 am
Quote:
And by the way, the fact that these things are intertwined is somewhat trivial and in no way is relevant to the initial questions posted.

I think it is very relevant. You see, if one artificially abstracts "time" without consideration to it's integral nature of all existence then one's view of "time" is nothing but a psychological convenience, ie, fictional.

Then again, all knowledge is ultimately a convenient abstraction.
0 Replies

pswfps

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 09:33 am
Quote:

Not when you're defining a vacuum, which is the lack of energy/matter in a volume of space.

I define vacuum thus: a region of space-time of relatively low energy. There is no such thing as "nothing" and space-time pervades all existence.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 10:07 am
There is such a thing as nothing. There's just not way to observe nothing. Damn that uncertainty principle!

Anyway, I understand what you mean about making something "abstract." I have seen people that take that approach to say that such-and-such isn't real. Which is just silly because everything we experience can be defined as relative to something else. And after a while you can say that we don't exist either. That's just silly.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 10:57 am
All "existence" is about "relationship". Nobody casn deny that the concept of "time" has "existence" in relationship to the "order of normal everyday events". Problems arise when those events are "not normal" as in those concerning velocities close to the speed of light which Einstein showed lead to "time" being "observer dependent". At this point we can say the lay view of "time" loses its utility.
So there is no absolute entity called "time" which exists/doesnt exist. (Actually there is no absolute anything !) There are merely limits to the utility of concepts of which "time" is a particularly paradoxical example.
0 Replies

pswfps

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 12:24 pm
Quote:
There is such a thing as nothing.

"Nothing" is impossible to conceptualise so such a statement is absurd. Space-time is clearly not "nothing" since we can conceptualise it. Matter/energy, space and time are abstract human perceptions of a singular existence; the universe of space-time.

Quote:
Anyway, I understand what you mean about making something "abstract." I have seen people that take that approach to say that such-and-such isn't real. Which is just silly because everything we experience can be defined as relative to something else. And after a while you can say that we don't exist either. That's just silly.

For a sentient being, I'm afraid the only thing that is "real" is perception, however, we should not confuse the "map" with the "terrain." That is the hallmark of absolutism and extremism.
0 Replies

pswfps

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 12:29 pm
Quote:
All "existence" is about "relationship".

Agreed and the relationships exist between perceptions of the mind rather than "real" things outside of the mind. The mind simply is not a reality outside of itself.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 12:48 pm
Quote:
particularly paradoxical

I try to say that out loud, but with my accent it gets really weird. Smile

But on the topic, I think I agree with the posters Smile
0 Replies