Count me in and weigh me

Ustilts

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 08:14 pm
I know that some of you guyz have seen this one before, but if you havn't its pretty hard..

Here is the situation:
You are working for Fort Knox, and are responsible for storing the gold in large safes.
One day your boss walks up and has some bad news:
"Ok, someone screwed up. They delivered a package here that contains fake gold. The only way
to recognize the package is by its weight, so you will have to weigh every package and see
if it is lighter than the others. I already spoke with the folks at registry and narrowed it
down to 512000 packets, which is still a lot I guess. You have time until tomorrow to find the
quickest way to get the job done. I can get 4 scales from town, but every scale will only
hold 1000 packages max. Also you won't be able to get the weight from these scales, but you will
easily see the difference if the fake package is on one of these scales, of course only if all
the scales have the exact same number of packages on them. I want you to find the way that needs
the fewest scale attempts for the worst case scenario.
For every scaling you can put a stack of packages (not more than 1000 for every stack) on each of
the four scales, and see the difference between those four stacks of packages.
When you have the procedure please find the number of scale attempts needed for the best case and
the worst case and report with the numbers to me tomorrow. I hope it is better than mine, because
if not I may just fire you."

Cool Hope its figured out!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,555 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Ustilts

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 08:42 pm
Now the object, is to find the number of scaling attempts for the best case, and for the worst case.

(Sorry for double post, just needed for u guys to see the above)
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 09:09 pm
Get a vat of water and fill it with an exact amout of water, say 100 gallons, so that if a stack of 1000 packets of real gold is placed in it it will over flow but if a stack with the fake gold is placed in it it will not. Then no scales are needed.

Welcome to A2K Ustilts.
0 Replies

Ustilts

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 09:15 pm
Thats really good thinking, but like it said, thats not what there looking for, its basicly to make it harder, and i had no idea, looking for some help on this one.

And thanks for the welcome Razz
0 Replies

mune

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 02:32 pm
Solution...?
Anybody find a solution?
Or a way to find it?

See ya!
0 Replies

Alt3rn4tiv3

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 09:44 pm
late reply... posted the on another thread, you may not have read it, so i'll post it here too =P
The answer's 5 and 133.. At first I thought it was 2.. sort of did some research and brute force and thinking there =P
0 Replies