Tips Please!

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 10:27 pm
You find internet cafés in most places ( many other places like banks, libraries and similar offer it, too, sometimes for free).

Phoning from Europe to the USA is cheaper than the other way around.
0 Replies

need2ask

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 08:41 am
ok, what about things like the cellphone charger? Do I need a different plug for that than what we use here? And will he be able to plug that in at say the youth hostels?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 08:45 am
He should get a set of adapters.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 09:06 am
Besides an adapter you need different EURO-plugs for continental Europe and a different for the UK. (240 Volt in Europe)

Certainly you can plug it in youth hostels.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 09:07 am
I was able to get by with just this two-pronged adapter in Germany and Austria.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 09:20 am
Be assured, swimpy, that they've different plugs in the UK to continental Europe. :wink:
0 Replies

need2ask

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 09:28 am
I'm so glad I found this Forum, thanks for all the help!! Anything else you can think of that I'm missing??
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 09:43 am
I just got back last week from a two week trip. Capital One does not have an international processing fee for transactions. I researched a lot of cards and thats the only one I came up with. I used internet cafes for communicating and my friend bought phone cards. We didn't stay in any hostels but I understand a lot of them have internet access.
Check out ricksteves.com, hostelworld.com and tripadvisor.com

I found these sites vey useful.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 09:44 am
Also, pack light and do laundry there. I'll admit that my bag was a little too heavy but I managed.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 10:07 am
martybarker wrote:

Check out ricksteves.com, hostelworld.com and tripadvisor.com

As for youthhostels (there isn no [real] age limit anymore), I would look at website of the International Youth Hostel Organisation as well - all European youth hostel organisation are members there.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 02:34 pm
Quote:
ok, what about things like the cellphone charger? Do I need a different plug for that than what we use here? And will he be able to plug that in at say the youth hostels?

i doubt that an ordinary north-american cellphone will work in europe ;
aside from that , the by-the-minute cellphone charges are likely VERY high
in phoning overseas , we have usually used a "non-phonecompany" phonecard ; that is , bought one from a cornerstore .
phoning from canada to germany we always use a phonecard - about
4 cents a minute - NO connection charge either .
hbg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 02:43 pm
That right: you must have a "dual-wave" cellphone (minimum, but I think, most modern cellphones are nowadays even "tri-wave" or better.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 02:46 pm
if you have still some time before travelling , write for FREE travel brochures from the many european (government sponsored) travel agencies in the U.S .
if you buy a travel magazine (conde nast etc) , they'll usually have a postcard enclosed that you can send , requesting those brochures .
hbg

this website gives great info about european hostelling !
please click below :
EUROPEAN HOSTELLING ASSOCIATION
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 02:58 pm
all the information you might want want when travelling far and near - quite an impressive site imo !
hbg

INTERNATIONAL CELLPHONE SREVICE
please click here :
THE TRAVEL INSIDER

from the insider :
Quote:
If you're buying an international 'world phone' be sure it operates in all three bands and is 'unlocked' to allow it to work with any service provider in the world

and ALWAYS check the per minute charge !!!
you'll likely be asked for your credit card number and all charges will appear on your statement !
BEWARE OF HIDDEN CHARGES !!!
0 Replies

need2ask

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 03:34 pm
I have found some very useful info from all of you. thank you so much... I do have another question.. Here in the US we have what is called a "trac phone" that is a cell phone that people can purchase at any store( grocery, drug, etc.) and than buy "minute cards" to add usage time to the cards. These can be purchased for well under $100.00 and used as needed. Will my son be able to find something like that when he gets to Europe? That way he could use a phone card and conventional telephone or internet to keep in touch while away, but would have that there in case he gets separated from his group or some such thing..
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 03:38 pm
Yes, of course.

(Psscht, need2ask, it's not the total wildernes and uncivilissation here. :wink: )

I can't remember if you mentioned that already: how old is your son/those in his group?
0 Replies

need2ask

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 03:42 pm
Thanks for sticking with me!!! He will be just 19, and his friends are in the 18 to 19 range. Mom's (my) biggest problem with this whole trip is the total unknown. I myself don't fly, and to make things just a touch worse, I work in the Emergency Medical field, so have seen way too many bad things... I usually drive the kid nuts with it all... Just trying to figure out the best way to do things in this all new venture..
0 Replies

need2ask

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 03:44 pm
Have I mentioned that he looses everything? Today's conversation was this.. Mom.. oh yeah, I forgot to tell you, I lost my cell phone... I think buying one when he arrives might be the best idea yet instead of worrying about him losing an expensive one!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 03:57 pm
I was 14 when I went to England, on my own, 44 years ago.
My mother was very concerned then as well - but she got calmer over the years :wink:
0 Replies

need2ask

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 03:59 pm
so there is hope for me at least... Embarrassed
0 Replies