Tips Please!

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 02:59 pm
My young son will be traveling to Europe for a little over a month this year. It's the first time he's really traveled and I have never traveled overseas. Can anyone think of things that they wish they had known that I might be able to pass on to him and his friends? Places to go, places to stay away from, things to take, etc...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,451 • Replies: 41
No top replies

Mame

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 03:04 pm
Well, I haven't taken traveller's cheques in years because they can get stolen or lost and then it's a headache. There are ATMs in most of the modern world where it's very easy to withdraw just what he needs. And I wouldn't take much foreign currency with me - it's not necessary.

I would also ask 3 people for directions to the same place - many people like to offer advice without having a clue as to the answer Smile

I've also found those little language books ridiculous because even if and when you get the right sentence together, they answer you in their language, which you don't know. It's best to find an English-speaking (or whatever it is) person to consult. You'll get your answer in English.

I'd also read up on the country's customs, holidays, etc., so tipping, closures, etc are not a nasty surprise.

The last advice I'll give is to buy a travel book (Lonely Planet, Fodor's, Frommer's) which covers the countries he'll be travelling in. They're worth their weight in gold.
0 Replies

need2ask

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 03:11 pm
Thanks for the super fast reply! I'll be looking for travel book now!!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 03:19 pm
You're welcome - I forgot to mention that the travel books cover the customs, tipping, closures, etc., plus great economical places to stay, eat, free entrances to museums, when concerts or special events are on, etc. They're a god-send.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 03:21 pm
Well, Europe. That's 30-40 major languages in more than 40 independent countries.

I doubt that anyone could give advice valid for all parts.

But be assured that people here are quite similar to those you know ... and English is spoken nearly everywhere. :wink:
0 Replies

need2ask

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 03:25 pm
Walter, It would be easier if they would make a decision on exactly where they were going, but I don't see that happening, or them sticking to it even if they did. Teenagers are sometimes painful.... The only plan so far is they fly into Dublin, than to Paris and they will be going to Croatia.. in between... who knows.... that's for mom to worry about while they are there I guess! At least they will all be able to communicate!! Confused
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 03:26 pm
Get train schedules for any areas he'll be traveling in. Trains aren't quite so popular for travel here in North America but they are a godsend in Europe. You can get pretty much anywhere (in western Europe at least!). Not sure if they still have Eurorail passes anymore or not but if they do, get one and use it.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 03:32 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Well, Europe. That's 30-40 major languages in more than 40 independent countries.

I doubt that anyone could give advice valid for all parts.

But be assured that people here are quite similar to those you know ... and English is spoken nearly everywhere. :wink:

Well, they have books on Eastern Europe, Europe, Western Europe - he may have to buy several. And believe it or not, when I was last in Munster, I ran into quite a few people (40 - 50 yrs old) who could only say Hello. I was surprised, it being a university town. I don't expect anyone but the English-speaking to speak English, but I thought it was as you said, that everyone learns English, but it turned out to not be quite as accurate as I'd thought. I had no trouble in Munich or Frankfurt, however. Maybe it was just Munster.

My German is dreadful to non-existent. I would have learned something of it had I known I would be stopping there.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 03:35 pm
Yeah, what Walter said!

Very Happy

Apart from that, I agree that he wouldn't need traveller cheques. It's a hassle to cash them. Bringing a bit of cash for what he would need after getting to the airport, taking a cab or bus or train should be sufficient. Then again, there are ATMs at pretty much every airport, so he just could bring a card and would be fine. A Maestro (compatible) card is recommendable (see here). Withdrawing money from an ATM with your credit card has usually a rather hefty fee attached to it.
Cash is generally more prevalent than in the States, and you might not be able to pay with a credit card in each and every place. Plus places that generally accept credit cards might refuse them for rather small amounts of money.
Shops are NOT open 24/7 ... something to keep in mind for planning your shopping tours. In smaller towns or cities, pretty much everything might be closed on weekends or at least on Sunday.
Many people speak English. Especially people in the bigger cities, younger people, people in the Scandinavian and Benelux countries, and some even in Ireland and Britatin. If he's planning to stay in youth hostels, he shouldn't have any problem at all.
Travelling by train is really a nice and easy way to see the place, and yes, those passes still exist and are now called Eurail.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 03:41 pm
I've studied and taught in Münster, Mame.

I bet you find there more people speaking English (and Dutcj, French etc) than in a town of similar seize in the USA.

(And the main shops even have noticing signs in German and English [changed that from Dutch to English a couple of years ago.]) :wink:
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 03:47 pm
Walter, admittedly I was there about 12 years ago and things may have changed. I was actually in the deli of a big department store and they were able to sell me food and make change, but I was asking for help to get through on a phone call. I couldn't understand the recording that came on and they would listen and shake their heads, so maybe they just couldn't translate it to English? I went through quite a bit of change making that call Smile
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 05:22 pm
If he plans to use his credit card, check with the bank first. They may charge a fee for every charge. I was unpleasantly surprised when I got my Visa bill. On the other hand, there were no transaction fees when I used my ATM card.

Whre is he planning to go in Europe. It's a big place, ya know :wink:
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 05:45 pm
Like it or not, your son and his friends are probably going to have to be challenged about all the little twists and quirks of American politics, culture and foreign policy as though they are responsible.

As long as they are courteous and listen for a bit longer than they talk, they'll do our country proud.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 05:48 pm
Swimpy - was the fee for exchanging the currencies?
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 05:50 pm
littlek wrote:
Swimpy - was the fee for exchanging the currencies?

They called them transaction fees. I don't understand why they charged them. I think if you shop around you can find credit cards that don't charge them or charge smaller ones.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 05:51 pm
Were there any exchange fees? Maybe the fees all come out in the wash?
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 05:53 pm
Not that I know of, although that may be how they justify it. I thought it strange that I could exchange dollars into Euros via ATM with no transaction fees, but B of A charges them.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 06:05 pm
We've discussed in the past on a2k about using eurail passes or not. Depending on where you are going how many times for how long, it can make more sense to NOT get one - depends on your trip. Or it did, when I last investigated.

My only advice - always get your ticket punched.
0 Replies

need2ask

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 07:08 pm
What about staying in touch with those still at home in the US? Are there internet cafe's where they might be able to send emails home? I've researched the cellphone issue and that will be a lot of money.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 07:38 pm
Phone cards are cheap in Europe.
0 Replies