ITS A BEEOOTEEFUL DAY IN THE NEYBORHOOD...

eoe

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 08:18 pm
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 11:16 pm
farmerman wrote:
Youre not babbling anymore?

I got de-babbled when the rules changed about hyphens in user id's! :wink:
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 11:46 pm
farmerman wrote:
Youre not babbling anymore?

We have white and deep (very deep) purple butterfly bushes and , yes they do attract butterflies. In the summer , the swallowtails of all kinds just hang all over them. Consequently, we have a butterfly garden with lots of dill plants and coriander and lovage for the swallowtails to lay eggs, and we have milkweeds in the lower field for monarchs and birches for the blues and the Luna moths (lunas dont hit the butterfly bushes) they are night creatures.

Got a lot of work done today. Yards all untrashed from winter cticks and left over leaves. Compost pile is about 3 ft taller and planted some good stuff, including new rosemary bushes. Wish we could keep rosemary alive like out in Stockton CA. can you keep rosemary alive (outside) in ALbuquerque?.
we have creeping rosemary in both the front and back yards, all blooming like a den of thieves. (so is the various thymes)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 04:04 am
JustBrooke wrote:
Montana wrote:
kickycan wrote:
Ah, springtime. Makes me want to screw something.

Yeah, me too Cool

Omg .....I'm not alone! I've been thinkin of that ALL day! Embarrassed In the 70's here today. The warmer it gets outside .....the warmer I get! :wink:

Hi Montana! Dang girl......long time no see!! Good to see you!!

Here's a butterfly bush. I have them all over the place. My gawd I love em. They are so purdy. AND if you love butterflies.....they attract em like magnets!

http://www.seedman.com/image/rhc211.jpg

Hey Brookie :-D What's shakin? Great to see ya! I've been doing lots of home improvements since I was laid off and as beautiful as it's been outside the past few days, I'm still working inside.
As it gets warmer, of course I'll have to get my but out there and enjoy the fresh air.

So, it's not just me that gets all crazy horny in the spring. Phew! I thought it was just part of my weirdness Laughing

What a beautiful bush! I love butterflies so now butterfly bushes are on my agenda of outdoor things.

Beautiful bush and I absolutely love butterflies, so that's one bush that's gonna end up in my yard.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 05:30 am
Montana-Can you get crepe myrtle to live in the MAritimes? Thats another butterfly attractant with lots of nifty colors.
Oeo-We have a "mulch factory" a few miles north of Nickel Mines. The company grinds up pallettes and composts them and then dyes it . I like the black color. Its very good and its about 15$ a pickup truck load (2 cubic yds)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 06:24 am
we use a lot of rosemary with lamb and in many other dishes. Its a staple in our diet but we can only get the plants to stay alive for 2 years at most. Using an "Arp" variety, we have had the most success but only into year 2. Rosemary doesnt do well when brought in.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 07:34 am
Geez! We can't get crepe myrtle to live on cape cod (MA's warmest climate).
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 07:57 am
so, this morning it's now 37 F but the wind has stopped (for now) the expected high is 68 F. we will put out the Hummer bird feeders today (late) put out feed for the morning doves (cracked corn) and the finches (thistle) and attempt to plant the remaining herbs. Osso is coming over later to make clam-sauce spaghetti. going to be a good day.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 08:00 am
60 degrees here. Very Happy

On my way to the Home Depot for that mulch but you reminded me of my birdfeeder. We've been battling the squirrels for years and didn't even fill it last year. This year...I'll try again. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 08:50 am
Montana wrote:

So, it's not just me that gets all crazy horny in the spring. Phew! I thought it was just part of my weirdness Laughing

It's a curse I tell ya! As if we aren't horny enough without spring notching it up a lil!

Gonna be 80 here today. Uh - Oh! Razz
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 09:20 am
eoe wrote:
60 degrees here. Very Happy

On my way to the Home Depot for that mulch but you reminded me of my birdfeeder. We've been battling the squirrels for years and didn't even fill it last year. This year...I'll try again. Rolling Eyes

I have squirrel problems too.
Much much better since I got a Yankee Flipper. Love it!
They are pricey, but well worth it.
cheapest place I've found

Might have to look around this one is cheaper even with shipping...
http://www.amberleaves.com/viewitem.cfm?DI=560164&SOURCE=NEXTAG
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 09:26 am
Montana's back~ I was just gettin ready to ask about you on the "lost" thread. Hope all is well.

Crepe Myrtle cannot be killed. It's one of those haunting plants around here. I had to have a friend pull one out of the ground with his 24ft truck so I could build a flower bed in that spot. A couple months later it popped up in the middle of my budding crocus.

Cub saw so many crepe myrtles the spring that he was in kindergarten, he decided to count how many there were in Raleigh. Every time we were out in the car, he was counting. When we got to several hundred he said he was going to write to President Clinton and let him know how many we had.

Beautiful, but I guess I'm burned out on them. That and azaleas.

Cub is now in horticulture class and FFA. The school greenhouse had a sale last week, so I have several plants to get into the ground today. My favorite purchase (besides two rabbit fur ferns for inside) is an Angels Trumpet. Can hardly wait for that one to bloom.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 02:47 pm
I guess were on the northern part of crepe myrtles range, cause littlek has said that Mass is too far North.
Here in PaWe get burned out on weeping cherries. Everybody has a few , and they look like **** until they get about 15 ft tall (Which seems to take 20 years ). Until that point they look like a pencil with dreds.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 03:13 pm
aidan wrote:
*Speaking of lilacs, they have a shade of lilac here that I've never seen before - it's kind of a red/violet, almost maroon shade. When it's planted in between a white and the normal purple- it's absolutely beautiful.

As the old song here has it:

Green grow the lilacs, all sparkling with dew
I'm lonely, my darling, since parting with you;
But by our next meeting I'll hope to prove true
And change the green lilacs to the Red, White and Blue.

We had white, dark pink and violet lilacs when i was a child, which i always assumed accounted for the "red, white and blue."

The song was popular (it is of Irish origin) in the mid-1800s, and some people allege that Mexicans in the Mexican-American War head the yanquis singing the song, and dubbed them "gringos" by mangling the words. Don't know if that's true . . .
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 03:20 pm
this weekend has been beautiful here in God's ountry...just under 80 degrees perfect Carolina Blue clear sky... cub and I went yesterday and ran rock wall all day for Progress Energy Company picnic... with spitting distance of the nuclear power smokestack... so who knows how much of what we have is sunburn and how much is radiation poisoning?

Got home about 6:00 and was able to ride my bike until 8:00. Got up this morning to a beautiful day, walked the door awhile then came back and rode my bike about 20 miles.... I love good weather. The plants are in the back deck loving the sunshine and warmth and everything is waking up.

Soon the landscape will be dotted with half dressed girls to look at, and it's about time to get on the lake. Gotta go get a new grille and a few cedar planks. this is how people were meant to live.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 08:43 pm
JustBrooke wrote:
Montana wrote:

It's a curse I tell ya! As if we aren't horny enough without spring notching it up a lil!

Gonna be 80 here today. Uh - Oh! Razz

Got a ways to go before it reaches 80 here, but it's coming fast Shocked Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 08:47 pm
squinney wrote:
Montana's back~ I was just gettin ready to ask about you on the "lost" thread. Hope all is well.

All is pretty good. You know how I tend to vanish occationally when I get on my home improvement kicks. I'm so hyper this year, Mikey asked me if I was pregnant Shocked

I hope all is well in your neck of the woods with you, bear and cubs :-D
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 08:52 pm
earlier today, when Setanta and the dogs and I were out for our Earth Day wander through the Don Valley Brickworks, I spotted these guys enjoying the sun

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0bgBbD74ibY5gaUj*Pa6vkrh02Ozd2Vi9jeti9QjwJ7R53YO8vlwd248z72cdEdblgM4bf4ZQPiV1OXIKMIfTP*zuzZzCxcNOjkPMEzizocJMH2JKBb6ibYLwlsF59!EdsGeospZCWoMK8UjuF!9htGktUOZNplqC/93%20turtles%20in%20the%20sun%20edit.jpg

and these gals were sitting on the results of some earlier *fraternizing* in the sun

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VAA5D4Iaf3TvS9qrdlRQ5ZpHZ3JUeShIXD6eZ6xoPnL95ngMCNfwuxrI3qRhMPsMNCQgB1CPZ!HM5dIVJwrS8NE6dFnoBu74nDOHkAdZk33Ze2aGV*KtT4RGzJNI1tVE/93a%20edit.jpg

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0awDCDwEiCTjuvy!xbrzzPsiY1pZgsYzKHS5LgSAvyEuDtFUVPE9UCB6DOaJ75IXdnLue0gXAeQpUBI3JSSy3ne!XGaehwOQxT99xfyTiiGTL1ptKEvyy7Ok!jbdw0sVooD1V9EhR9U*UpGj1wDQP7Rzptps2zBic/92a%20duck%20sunning%20on%20lodge.jpg

there's just a hint of green along the walls of the brickworks, pretty soon there won't be any evidence of the glaciers (at least til the late autumn)

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0YwB7D70fGUwvkLRF2R6YXWHjGa6Atsy!ZC16MAVfZ1b6UkePtZm6XqO!0*mSkJYfJ0kJhbS!5oL3BJwSPZPjTW7stM!aCPaBcXVuSQpzBeUSGbtVLqw5dJodDTNeSBjsSCdJ30Cwmiz9gpMHt40SPQ/7%20toward%20north%20east.jpg
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 09:18 pm
Beautiful pics, Beth :-D
0 Replies