ITS A BEEOOTEEFUL DAY IN THE NEYBORHOOD...

kickycan

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 01:39 pm
Ah, springtime. Makes me want to screw something.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 01:41 pm
I think it was BBB who told the story about a guy who was caught by polise, while screwing a pumpkin. His answer was, "Damn, is it midnight already?"
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 01:43 pm
kickyman
Quote:
Makes me want to screw something.
You should narrow it down to a specific species.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 01:51 pm
I was thinking maybe a badger or something.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 02:00 pm
kickycan wrote:

DIY, Kicky? :wink:
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 02:04 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I have some nice hosta buds breaking the surface and inquisitively looking around.

Hostas 6"-8" high and zooming away! It's been warm here.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 02:07 pm
farmerman wrote:
I think it was BBB who told the story about a guy who was caught by polise, while screwing a pumpkin. His answer was, "Damn, is it midnight already?"

lmao!

I'm comin' up your way tomorrow farmerman! Smile (actually closer to Red Lion, though)
It's a gorgeous weekend!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 02:16 pm
If I could smuggle some of the Farmerman's butterfly bushes up here, I'd do it. I'm actually hoping to trade for some to increase the shade in my backyard - and make it nicer for birds and butterflies.

They like the sunlight back there in the autumn, winter and spring, but it's like a bbq back there in the summer.

More naturalization. More naturalization.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 03:47 pm
Setanta wrote:
Quote:
The Summer country--i had thought you were in bleak and windy Cornwall. Do you have wood lots near you? Is it reasonable to call it forest?

I visit Cornwall a lot because I love the rugged, bleakness of the coast. I can be there in between two and three hours from where I live.

The cottage we're renting is part of the Waldegrave Estate in the Chew Valley situated southeast of Bath and southwest of Bristol. I can walk through three pastures and be down to their wood lot- but the forest I'm talking about is further south- more toward Wookey Hole and Wells near Ebbor Gorge. It's definitely a forest- so I think it's reasonable to call it that.

Quote:
For me, spring always was heralded by the lilac and the lily of the valley--not that spring required them, just that from the time i was a little boy, they were to me the signal that spring had truly arrived. Of course, i understand that in the northern United States, the lilac does not bloom until late spring or early summer.

I think everything seems early here this year. There were some trees- maybe some kind of ornamental flowering plum- that were in full flower at the end of January or beginning of February- it looked very strange. The hawthorn in the hedges bloomed almost a month early this year, the dog roses are already fully in bloom, and I even have poppies already.

*Speaking of lilacs, they have a shade of lilac here that I've never seen before - it's kind of a red/violet, almost maroon shade. When it's planted in between a white and the normal purple- it's absolutely beautiful.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 05:00 pm
What's a butterfly bush?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 05:01 pm
kickycan wrote:

Yeah, me too Cool
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 05:16 pm
Montana wrote:
kickycan wrote:

Yeah, me too Cool

That makes two of us! :wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 05:43 pm
Dutchy wrote:
Montana wrote:
kickycan wrote:

Yeah, me too Cool

That makes two of us! :wink:

No, three of you, Dutchy! It's catching!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 05:45 pm
we went for a three hour long hike, littlek and i. can feel the sun on my face, walking on my thighs... generally feeling alive.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 05:47 pm
Butterfly Bush - Buddleia click
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 05:57 pm
I know this thread is about spring & the northern hemisphere, but I'd just like to say that it's a beautiful day in Melbourne, Oz, too.
Since around midday yesterday it's been raining steadily. Not wild, windy storms, just steady rain. Haven't experience anything like this for ages & it is very soothing & calming. You can almost feel the relief of the thirsty plants. Aaaaah! Another good thing is that I won't have to get into my garden & lug around 6 buckets buckets of grey water for my plants. Now that's a bonus! Church bells are ringing as I type. A perfect Sunday. Very Happy
Right now it's 15 C degrees with a predicted top of 20 C. Not bad, not bad at all ....
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 06:02 pm
Montana wrote:
kickycan wrote:

Yeah, me too Cool

Omg .....I'm not alone! I've been thinkin of that ALL day! Embarrassed In the 70's here today. The warmer it gets outside .....the warmer I get! :wink:

Hi Montana! Dang girl......long time no see!! Good to see you!!

Here's a butterfly bush. I have them all over the place. My gawd I love em. They are so purdy. AND if you love butterflies.....they attract em like magnets!

http://www.seedman.com/image/rhc211.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 06:08 pm
Good to see Brooke...
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 06:10 pm
Ahhh osso .....very good to see you too!!!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 06:44 pm
Youre not babbling anymore?

We have white and deep (very deep) purple butterfly bushes and , yes they do attract butterflies. In the summer , the swallowtails of all kinds just hang all over them. Consequently, we have a butterfly garden with lots of dill plants and coriander and lovage for the swallowtails to lay eggs, and we have milkweeds in the lower field for monarchs and birches for the blues and the Luna moths (lunas dont hit the butterfly bushes) they are night creatures.

Got a lot of work done today. Yards all untrashed from winter cticks and left over leaves. Compost pile is about 3 ft taller and planted some good stuff, including new rosemary bushes. Wish we could keep rosemary alive like out in Stockton CA. can you keep rosemary alive (outside) in ALbuquerque?.
0 Replies