I MISSED THE DARWIN AWARDS THIS YEAR

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 05:47 am
However, I saw a late entry . A man in Alabama died from severe rattlesnake bites, after he and a friend were playing catch with a large timber rattlesnake. The friend was hospitalized but survived. He, therefore, is a "hopeful" for subsequent years.

Ive been a "Juggie" on a seismic RV when the Scientist in charge set the fuses on the depth charges too shallow and lifetd the fantail right out of the water. So, while I wasnt the candidate, my seismics prof was. (Alas-he lived)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,631 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Chai

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 06:33 am
Juggie?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 06:46 am
Thats a term describing the lowest ranked guys on a seismic crew/ Juggies put out the seismometers (bouys in this case). Its the "paying dues for some as shole prof who will have to sign your thesis.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 06:47 am
Any Darwin award candidates from this year?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 06:51 am
http://www.cynical-c.com/?p=6521
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 06:56 am
Now thats what Im talkin about. Note to self: dont use lighter to peer into gas tank anymore.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 07:08 am
There was a guy in Wisconsin, went by the name of Occom Bill, who placed a hefty wager on the Green Bay Packers to win the Super Bowl last year.

If a person like that doesn't deserve the Darwin Award, well, we might as well cancel the contest.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 09:34 am
"Chlorinating the Gene Pool, Culling the Herd, Unnatural Selection, Evolution in Action!"

All you ever wanted to know at the Darwin Awards home page.

And the winner for 2006--Phillip Hoe in the United Kingdom.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 09:38 am
Let us hope not all Hoes are like Phillip.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 09:41 am
I'm just burnin'
Doin' the Neutron Dance ! ! !
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 10:08 am
BBB
I love the annual Darwin awards.

BBB
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 12:27 pm
Sorry, what are the Darwin awards?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 12:31 pm
For Quincy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_Awards
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 12:55 pm
If it's not too late I'd like to nominate myself for the 1945 and 1946 awards. These were my college years. In '45 I was making toast for myself on a Sunday morning (the cook didn't come in on Sunday morning). We didn't have a toaster but used the oven. There was no pilot light for the oven. I turned on the gas, closed the oven door, reached into the box for a match-no matches. I went into the living room, obtained a match, returned, lit the match, opened the oven door-- BOOM!! There was no damage to the kitchen or to me, but every hair on my right arm was gone. I can still smell the odor of burnt chicken feathers.

My other example of brilliance was when I was wiring a lamp. I wanted the proper length cord; so after putting a plug on one end of the wire and plugging it in, I ran it to the lamp, took my wire cutters--snip--POP. The fuse blew, but surprisingly to me I didn' feel a shock.

Had I been a member of mensa, I would probably have been expelled.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 01:23 pm
I've done things equally as stupid, which i am not going to recount, Flyboy, but you don't qualify, because you have to have removed yourself from the gene pool. Just having the lifeguard blow her whistle at ya don't count.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 01:27 pm
rules is rules. Now if you blew yer damn head clean off, then we could talk about you.

Dya notice that a statistically significant number of award winners come from places that surprise noone.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 04:06 am
Setanta wrote:
I've done things equally as stupid, which i am not going to recount, Flyboy, but you don't qualify, because you have to have removed yourself from the gene pool. Just having the lifeguard blow her whistle at ya don't count.

Do I qualify if the cumulative trauma was enough to cause sterility?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 05:22 am
HMMM, well have to have the judges rule on that one.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 07:42 pm
(I took the online Mensa test once. Answered the first question and hit "Enter" instead of "tab". As a result, my IQ score is apparently not survivable.)
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 06:16 pm
I liked this one... a little bit of poetic justice along with the Darwin Award:

Quote:
(September 2006, Florida) A fearsome mythical giant was felled by a humble slingshot. But a modern speargun vs. an underwater leviathan is another tale altogether, as a Florida man discovered.

Outlawed in 1990, hunting Goliath-sized groupers remains surprisingly popular. These fish can weigh hundreds of pounds, yet there are underwater hunters who choose to tether themselves to such muscular sea creatures. However unlikely a pursuit, the poaching of groupers by divers and snorkelers continues, in defiance of both the law and common sense.

Of this elite group, our Darwin Award winner distinguished himself yet further by disregarding one essential spearfishing precaution. By embarking on this hunt without a knife to cut himself loose, the "fit and experienced snorkeler" was guaranteeing that his next attack on a giant grouper would be his last.

Why anyone thinks it's a good idea to tether yourself to a fish twice your size, I don't know. Some time later, the body of the spearfisher was found pinned to the coral, 17 feet underwater. Three coils of line were wrapped around his wrist, and one very dead grouper was impaled at the other end of the line.

In those final hours, the tables were turned, and the fish was given an opportunity to reflect on the experience of "catching a person."
0 Replies