Why respect for religion ?

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 12:20 pm
A friend and I were talking and he made a good point. It is tabboo to "disrespect" a person's religion - but why? It is perfectly acceptable for people to debate about any number of things, but not of someone's religion. Why is that?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 794 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 12:58 pm
'Cause if you do, i'll kill ya, you heathen sumbitch . . .

God told me i could . . .
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 01:24 pm
I think it's more about respecting the person than the person's religion. You may not agree with what he or she might believe, but I think it's important to respect his or her right to believe it. And I'm talking as a human being- not as an American- that patriotic chest thumping crap leaves me pretty cold- especially at this particular moment in time.

That being said, I'm wondering why you think disrespecting anything is taboo anymore. As far as I can tell, respect toward anyone about anything that someone disagrees with is becoming a rare commodity. People seem to feel free to voice their disrespect in ways that I could never have imagined at one point, but at this point, no longer even find surprising.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 02:19 pm
aidan wrote:
I think it's more about respecting the person than the person's religion. You may not agree with what he or she might believe, but I think it's important to respect his or her right to believe it. And I'm talking as a human being- not as an American- that patriotic chest thumping crap leaves me pretty cold- especially at this particular moment in time.

I think you're missing the point. People also believe in ideologies. People also believe in political parties. Why is there not a similar taboo with regard to those beliefs?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 02:22 pm
I agree with aidan. I have little respect for religion, but have respect for the right of people to hold their own personal views.

I have no respect for those who would foist their religion on me, or attempt to make laws based on a particular faith.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 02:58 pm
Setanta wrote:
aidan wrote:

I think you're missing the point. People also believe in ideologies. People also believe in political parties. Why is there not a similar taboo with regard to those beliefs?

I guess I should have prefaced it by saying that this is in my view, and the reason I would never disrespect someone's religion is that it's more about respecting the person....etc., etc. Because I do also respect their right to believe in ideologies or political parties that might be different from mine- mainly because I want them to treat me in kind and have respect for my right to my own particular views, preferences, and political leanings.

But I understand what you're saying, and I won't be disingenious by pretending I don't. I think the old adage says something about everything being open for discussion but religion and politics, if I remember correctly. So there is a sort of reverence accorded to an aspect of a person't belief system that is apart from religion.

I would guess that religion used to be considered off limits (though I do believe it no longer is off limits to derision based on what I've read and seen with my own eyes) because it is highly personal to an individual and a subject of devotion. Kind of like how no one who respects you would talk bad about your mother- she's an object of devotion in your life (hopefully, maybe, sometimes for some people).

But in general, as I said, I think respect has gone by the wayside. Very little seems to be viewed as sacred or off limits anymore, so I don't see much of anything that people in general venerate as worthy to the point that they'd view slamming it (whatever it may be) as taboo.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 03:03 pm
Well, i had forgotten that people used to advise making religion and politics off limits, so you've got a good point there. Perhaps the reason religion got to be an "off-limits" topic is because from 1517 onward, religious differences were something which could get you killed in Europe (which is not to ignore that many thousands, and perhaps even millions got real dead real quick for religious reasons before the Protestant Reformation).

I'm less certain about the "respect" issue. I don't deny what you say, but it is entirely possible that we are living in times when the principle that you get respect if you earn it is being applied. Why should i respect your beliefs, for example, if i don't see you as an admirable or a decent person? I thought when i was young that one should challenge received wisdom, to know if it really did have a plausible basis. That is one opinion which has not changed over the last thirty or more years.

I am reminded of the ancient Chinese curse: may you live in interesting times.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 03:04 pm
USAFHokie80 wrote:
A friend and I were talking and he made a good point. It is tabboo to "disrespect" a person's religion - but why? It is perfectly acceptable for people to debate about any number of things, but not of someone's religion. Why is that?

There's a difference between disrespect and discussion. It's not taboo to discuss religion.

As for why religion seems to warrant a special degree of caution when people interact, I think Setanta has it basically right...

Setanta wrote:
'Cause if you do, i'll kill ya, you heathen sumbitch . . .

God told me i could . . .

Messing with a person's religion whether through disrespect or debate is more likely to generate a fiery response than other subjects, even politics.

I think the 'taboo' is just a natural caution which people have about getting involved in something which might get out of hand.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 03:21 pm
Setanta wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps the reason religion got to be an "off-limits" topic is because from 1517 onward, religious differences were something which could get you killed in Europe (which is not to ignore that many thousands, and perhaps even millions got real dead real quick for religious reasons before the Protestant Reformation).

That's a good point. I think that it's valuable to look at it from a factually historical perspective as well as a sociologically and emotionally positively reinforcing perspective.
Quote:
I'm less certain about the "respect" issue. I don't deny what you say, but it is entirely possible that we are living in times when the principle that you get respect if you earn it is being applied.

I disagree. I think that some people often get much more respect and acclaim than they truly merit (through skewed values, and the cult of popularity, personality and fame) while others who might merit respect are overlooked and/or derided by the general or popular culture.

Quote:
Why should i respect your beliefs, for example, if i don't see you as an admirable or a decent person?

You shouldn't respect my beliefs or me, if I am not worthy of respect. I would only ask that you respect that my rights to my beliefs are granted in equal proportion to yours or anyone elses. Otherwise we could see repeats of some very unpleasant historical events.
I heard on the news that in Turkey, three Christians in a primarily Moslem and extremely nationalistic town had their throats cut a few days ago. I'm not arguing that religious zealots and fanatics who claimed the Christian faith as their guide have not also been guilty, but I'd hope we'd all agree that this kind of censure and violence against any belief is wrong when directed at anyone.

Quote:
I thought when i was young that one should challenge received wisdom, to know if it really did have a plausible basis. That is one opinion which has not changed over the last thirty or more years.

I'm with you there.

Quote:
I am reminded of the ancient Chinese curse: may you live in interesting times.

At this point, I think I'd give my right arm for a little peace and harmony-I've had it up to here with interesting (sad, tragic, violent, chaotic, etc., etc.)
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 03:53 am
we are living on a planet where if you dont believe in their "invisible friend" they will kill you for it. religions have been around for years so its obvious that there would be taboo about religion, we have had generation after generation living in what i call " religious fanatiscism" mode.

short answer: people cant see outside their own perspective and to top it off they are dumb.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 04:37 pm
Re: Why respect for religion ?
USAFHokie80 wrote:

Well, I don't know how taboo it really is. I hear people openly criticizing and debating each other's religious beliefs quite frequently! Even on television.
And it comes from all sides of the fence.

Person to person, and face to face, I have found that it is mostly fruitless. Good doesn't come of it. So why do it?

Sometimes it is better to try and find common ground rather than focusing in on where we differ. Like at work and at family gatherings!

:wink:
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 06:13 pm
You can still enjoy someone's presence without agreeing with their religion. Start insulting their religion, and you can't enjoy their presence anymore on any level. You do the math!
0 Replies