Iron or Steel?

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 06:53 am
Help please. What is the five-letter name, derived from Latin for 'mild', of the form of iron which is made malleable by the addition of a small amount of aluminium, in a process invented by a Swedish metallurgist?
The Latin for mild is BLANDUS - is there such a thing as BLAND Iron?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,393 • Replies: 30
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 07:41 am
mild in Latin is lenis.

I searched on the Internet (Google and Wikipedia) and didn't find any words with 'lenis' connected to an iron or ferrous aluminum alloy.

Also, be aware that iron is made ductile but still strong by adding tungsten and/or vanadium while maintaining a low-carbon (0.1 to 1.0%) content, thus avoiding brittleness.
0 Replies

upandrunning

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 08:07 am
Hello Ragman, thank you for answering. I think I have found the answer!
A process, invented by P. Ostberg, for producing malleable iron castings by melting wrought iron, to which from 0.05 to 0.1 per cent of aluminum is added.
0 Replies

upandrunning

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 08:11 am
Should have added the answer is MITIS!
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 08:11 am
you're quite welcome.

I'd also found another Swedish metallurgist: Reinhold Angerstein http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinhold_Angerstein
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 12:16 pm
Christ, there are some clever folk on here!
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 12:22 pm
yes, Upandrunning is quite clever..answered his/her own question and educated me in the process.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 12:25 pm
Well I had no idea about the answer it baffled me totally, do you think I should study more, or just forget about it and let life go on, leave the egg-heads to sort the world out?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 01:11 pm
Trust me I didn't attempt my answer (notably wrong) without researching using search engines.
0 Replies

malek

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 01:14 pm
Well, I mitis well move on to another thread, now that this has been answered. (groan)
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 01:16 pm
Mathos wrote:
or just forget about it and let life go on..

There's a time in life it's the better option...
0 Replies

upandrunning

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 05:17 pm
Thanks Francis, Ragman, Mathos, Malek for joining in. It took me quite a while to get the answer. Many thanks for joining in.
0 Replies

upandrunning

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 04:41 am
Thanks for the compliments! But I have been trying to get the MITIS answer for over a week!! What about this one?

If JULIA has one child; DAWN has two children; ESMERALDA has three children; and ARABELLA has four children; then, logically, how many children does BRYONY have? I don't have the answer but have a few theories.
0 Replies

upandrunning

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 04:43 am
Tut! Tut! Francis.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 06:02 am
upandrunning wrote:
If JULIA has one child; DAWN has two children; ESMERALDA has three children; and ARABELLA has four children; then, logically, how many children does BRYONY have? I don't have the answer but have a few theories.

I have a theory, too.

If you count the spaces enclosed in letters in the names, and count them only once in the same letter, you'll find out that BRYONY has four children.
0 Replies

upandrunning

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 09:38 am
Thank you Francis, would never have thought of that angle! I might just go with that.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 01:36 pm
Did they all have the same Dad?
0 Replies

Tufdevil

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 05:28 pm
Mathos said: Did they all have the same Dad?

If they did, I think I know who he was!!

Hi, Upandrunning. How's it going? Back from my hols and ready to quiz again.

Did you get the American Football answer eventually last month?

What about the film star connections. What was the answer?

Went to the quiz tonight that's run by Chris from Quizzyheights. No all correct answers so far but one 9 out of 10 getting (as I suspected) the Goats Head Soup, Cresta Run etc question wrong. Was it you?

He did tell me I had to think laterally but that the connection had nothing to do with sport. Not sure if that helps!
0 Replies

upandrunning

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 02:53 am
Good Morning Tufdevil, Welcome back. Hope you had a nice break. I was all correct on the last Quizzy Heights, thanks to you. This time it is the Goats Head Soup I've got wrong, Chris said go along with song lyrics, so it may be something to do with silver - as in bullet or rain!!! Film Star question was 'not using their first given name, so correct on that one. Still can't get my head around the children one.

Thanks Mathos, if they all had the same Dad, we are into children and step-children, but how do we work out how many Bryony had? Counting the spaces as you suggest, means that ARABELLA five children! All answers appreciated.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 05:34 am
upandrunning wrote:
Counting the spaces as you suggest, means that ARABELLA five children! All answers appreciated.

My English if often broken.

Let's see, ARABELLA:

A= 1 space
R= 1 space
B= 2 spaces

(Only once the same letter)

It makes 4 spaces= four children.

Do you count the same way as we do in France?
0 Replies