How Beloved are "Magic Pudding" & "Nargun and the Stars"?

Noddy24

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 06:45 am
I just finished reading The Magic of Reason a YA fantasy trilogy by Justine Larbalestier. Early on she describes a delectable bookshelf which includes The Wizard of Oz, The Hobbit, standard fairy tales, A Wizard of Earthsea and the two books mentioned above which are not familiar to me. I assume that they are beloved Australian stories.

Can anyone give me more information?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,337 • Replies: 6
No top replies

msolga

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 07:40 am
Hello, Noddy.

In answer to the part of the question in your thread title: The Magic Pudding was a much-loved Oz childrens' yarn when I was growing up. I'm not sure if it's as popular these days, though. Norman Lindsay (the author) is a well-known Oz artist, also famous for erotic drawings of women & cats. (He was a great lover of women & cats! Very Happy )

I'm not familiar with the other titles you mention, but then I was probably in the process of familiarizing myself with the English language (& reading lots of Enid Blyton!) when other children my age were reading them.
I'll bet others Oz A2Kers will be able to tell you more, though.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 07:47 am
http://nationaltreasures.nla.gov.au/xpf/sites/Treasures/media/glyph/items/nla.int-ex6-s17-item.jpg

The Magic Pudding
Norman Lindsay (1879-1969)http://nationaltreasures.nla.gov.au/xpf/sites/Treasures/media/glyph/items/nla.int-ex6-s19-item.jpg

One of the riginal illustrations for The Magic Pudding c.1918
crayon, pen and wash drawings mounted in large albums; 47.0 x 40.0cm

http://nationaltreasures.nla.gov.au/site/Treasures/item/nla.int-ex6-s17/nla.int-ex6-s17
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 02:08 pm
Ms. Olga--

Thank you. That's the sort of musing I was hoping for.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 03:57 pm
I knew about the Magic Pudding, and read it...never liked it, though.

One of my friends when I was very young was in a children's theatre group, and I remember they did a production of it, and kept the papier mache pudding, which looked very evil....just as Lindsay drew him.

I have...very vaguely...heard of the Nargun and the Stars.....but that is all.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 12:18 am
(Isn't it maddening when you revisit a thread & discover a glaring mistake in your post & can't change it?

Childrens': plural = apostrophe should be before the s, not after! Embarrassed )
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 07:54 am
Msolga--

Even Bold Homer nods.

Deb--

Thanks for the memories.
0 Replies