Island found in Arctic Circle

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 12:24 pm
Ananova:
4/17/07

Island found in Arctic Circle

A new island has been discovered in the Arctic after rising temperatures melted the giant ice sheet which covered it.

The rocky mass - dubbed Warming Island - lies 400 miles north of the Arctic Circle in eastern Greenland, reports The Sun.

It was found by US explorer Dennis Schmitt 60 and is seen as further proof of global warming.

Danish mapping expert Hans Jepsen said: "It was clearly detached from the mainland when the connecting glacier-bridge retreated southward."

Explorer Schmitt said: "There is a dark side to this. We were all aware of the dire consequences."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 340 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 12:35 pm
I wonder if that is the same island the NYT reported about on January 16, 2007 (at least, the comments/quotation are exactly the very same):

The Warming of Greenland
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 12:42 pm
Excellent! Let's put up a resort or two and get some tourist dollars flowing! Global warming is good for capitalism!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 12:46 pm
Kicky
kickycan wrote:
Excellent! Let's put up a resort or two and get some tourist dollars flowing! Global warming is good for capitalism!

Just be sure no one installs a barbeque or the whole continent will melt.

BBB
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 09:53 am
kickycan wrote:

Before you do that, I am checking on any ancestral property rights that I may have. The Wandel Sea in the Arctic Circle was named after Captain C. F. Wandel who led a Danish exploration of that area in 1895.

A Danish map of Northern Greenland shows the Wandel Sea (upper right).

http://photo.ringo.com/206/206194302RL952404280.jpg
0 Replies