Ayn Rand

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 06:18 am
Hey guys, do you think Ayn Rand is a good name for a fish?
I already have one blue beta fish called AJ Ayer, and I've decided to get him a wife.
I was thinking maybe Renee Lees, because that was A.J Ayers wife in reality, but I don't want the greatness of Ayer to overshadow the other fish, and hereby support male dominance.
Ayn Rand would be good, but I don't like her views on presidency and homosexuality, so no.
thanks, pq. xxxxxxxx

p.s. administrator- pleeeeese don't move this to the pets forum. thank you xxxxxxx
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,487 • Replies: 18
No top replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 08:15 am
If you want to name your fish after famous philosophers, then naming one Ayn Rand is about as appropriate as naming it Ann Coulter.

If you want the name of a genuine female philosopher, how about Judith Jarvis Thomson?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 08:18 am
I think Ayn Rand is a wonderful name for a fish, at least from Miss Rand's perspective, because it is flattering to her. The fish, however, might justifiably feel insulted.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 03:15 pm
Hmm, I quite liked the name judith, but I thought her case on abortion was shitty.

How about women around at the same time as Ayer who had the same type of ideals? maybe?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 03:42 pm
Hannah Ahrendt?
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 09:00 pm
Thomas wrote:
Hannah Ahrendt?

Good one. I was going to suggest Dagny Taggart as a marginally more palatable alternative for Ayn Rand, but I like Thomas's idea better.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 10:39 pm
If you name your fish Ayn Rand it could immeditely label the fish as an objectivist and cause disharmony among the other fish in the tanks, particularly the Democrat fish. This could cause the fish to become rebellious and engage in a bloody revolution. I would recommend a more left of center name such as Michael Dukakis or John Kerry.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 08:13 am
Hannah Arendt (note the spelling) would be a good choice. Here are some other female philosophers to choose from.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 09:10 am
thanks guys-
is Agnes Heller the Heller?
If so then Agnes it is!
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 11:27 am
The Pentacle Queen wrote:
is Agnes Heller the Heller?

Well, she certainly is a Heller. I don't know if she is the Heller.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 07:10 pm
Why not call it "ghoti"?

That's "fish" in english.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 10:23 pm
That would deprive the fish of an identity! It would destroy its individuality! I suggest a masculine name like "Clint" or a feminine name like "Sherry".
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 05:37 am
haha nick, 'sherry?'
I would just call it fishy, but it needs to go with A.J Ayer.
I like calling animals names of animals. It's cute. My friend had a rabbit called 'bunny' and a horse called 'spider.'
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2007 09:35 pm
How about Seabiscuit? It was for a horse but better suited for a fish after all it is edible.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2007 10:17 pm
It's important to keep pet names to as few syllables possible. That way the pet will more quickly learn it's name .... also helps with learning commands.

Example.... 'stay' is a good name for a dog.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2007 10:55 pm
So, in your experience, Gelisgesti, fish quickly swim towards you,
when you call them bye their (few syllable) name?

I'd opt for Ethel Mae if it's a female fish, and Karl-Otto for a male. Very Happy
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2007 11:44 pm
Well it never hurts to have a pocket full of worms .... a finger will do for pirana but you have to be quick.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 03:16 pm
Ethel mae is a lovely name! Do you mean Ethel mae as in Ethel Mae Wyman though- that would put me off.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 03:23 pm
There used to be a superb chocolate factory named Ethel M(ae).
0 Replies