Lao chile sauce and shrimp; other delectables or execrations

Sat 14 Apr, 2007 06:54 pm
So I've had this wee jar of Lao chile sauce for about six months, idling in my spice cabinet. I bought it at a Thai restaurant. The label says, KINNA'S all natural Laos Chile Paste HOT.

I bought it because I liked the list of ingredients - red chile pepper, water, fish sauce (that's water, anchovy, fish, sugar), sugar, rice vinegar, red onions, fresh garlic, vegetable oil, ginger root.

So today I bought a pound of what passes for fresh shrimp in New Mexico, pre-frozen natch, and have marinated them in some olive oil - er, that's what I have - a fat tablespoon of the KINNA'S mix, some of my own roasted garlic cloves mashed, and a good fat squeeze of fresh sliced tangelo. It's been lolling about for an hour now, time to see if this will be interesting...

Do you ever venture into new territory with marinades?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,264 • Replies: 3
Topic Closed
No top replies

ossobuco

Sat 14 Apr, 2007 07:24 pm
Well, those turned out GREAT. Not to mention easy.

So, that was at 380 (who knows why I stopped there) for eight minutes after an hour's marination, the shrimp distributed with the marinade in a twelve - or so - inch cast iron frypan, in the oven.
Resulting crisp shell with tender but cooked enough interior.

On marinades, my old understanding from an admired teacher was that marinading involves an acid and spices... and that you intercept the process with a splash of oil.

That may be true culinarily.

This tastes good... maybe the ingredients overwhelm the delicacy of the marinade process. I suppose I should retitle the thread as MARINADES, but
I don't want to erase this post to do that.
0 Replies

Mame

Sun 15 Apr, 2007 06:39 pm
I love a good marinade and a good sauce. Yours sounded lovely, Osso. Yes, I will look at a cookbook and then adapt it... rarely do I ever use it as is. I'd love to come to your place for a meal. I've never had (or even heard of) a tangelo.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 15 Apr, 2007 06:49 pm
TANGELO
0 Replies