Apparently I need to 'Find God'

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 05:21 am
I don't know quite why this made me so mad, but:

On thursday night we had a beach party, and everyone got a bit drunk, but not in an antisocial- yobbish way. Just in a 'you're all my best friends and I love you guys kinda way.'
Anyway, just before we went home, I was leaning against a lamppost, a bit sloshed. And a large group of foreign-student-type-looking people, a bit older than myself came and told me that I needed to find God.

This really irritated me, because they obviously didn't say it out of genuine concern, they just saw I was a bit drunk, and naturally presumed that I'm a waste of space, when in fact Im probably doing more with my life than any of them.
I hate that assumptive christian attitude. They tell me to find God as an insult that I'm not a christian, not because they actually want me to become a christian.
In fact, I was a christian for a good many years, and they were the worst years of my life.
If I was an unintelligent waste of space then how would my life be rectified by finding god?

Im not having a go at christians in general here, just those ones. I've met loads of lovely christians, some of my best friends are christians.
Im just ranting because I really regret just telling them to 'F*** off,' instead saying something more intellectual that might make them realise that they were wrong.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,839 • Replies: 22
No top replies

fishin

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 05:34 am
My standard response when someone tells me I need to find God is to ask "Why? Is he lost? And if he is lost, how wise is this God that he can't ask for directions?" Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 06:22 am
Quote:
Im just ranting because I really regret just telling them to 'F*** off,' instead saying something more intellectual that might make them realise that they were wrong.

I think that any individual or group that prosylytizes is being unbearingly rude, and doesn't deserve any consideration. I would never get into a discussion with a person who proselytizes. They are not interested in logic and reason, as faith is its opposite.

If one approaches me, I simply say, "I'm not interested", and move away.
IMO, you need not have any regrets. They were invading YOUR space.

BTW, it is interesting that they approached you when you were drunk. Groups that prosylytize love to go after people whom they think are "needy".
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 12:17 pm
Did you look under the couch? I swear, whenever I can't find something, it's under the couch.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 12:22 pm
And how do they know that your god isn't Dionysus? It sounds like you found him.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 04:59 am
fishin wrote:
My standard response when someone tells me I need to find God is to ask "Why? Is he lost? And if he is lost, how wise is this God that he can't ask for directions?" Laughing

Do you have Sir Walter Rawley in a can? Well let him out! Smile

We all at least once in our lives "rediscover" God...
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 06:09 am
I am open to rediscovering god.
Just not being told to find him as a pure insult.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 06:14 am
Just ask them who took Her out to the forest and got Her lost?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 06:50 am
Quote:
Just ask them who took Her out to the forest and got Her lost?

Out to the forest? Or out from the forest? Agricultural monocultures are not balanced ecosystems.
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 04:46 pm
I'm with ya on this one. I'm a christian and i am not ashamed to witness to others. But i think its very self-righteous for some to make a snap judgement and bluntly assume a person needs God. Heck, i've even had some of these so called christians assume I'm not saved at first glance and try to tell me what i need. It's funny to me, but i can understand how it can piss others off.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 05:34 am
Thanks Kate!
I must admit when I saw you had written on this thread, I was like 'Oh God.'
But then I read it, and I like what you put, so that serves me right for being to judgemental.
I guess it happens to all of us. At least I can admit my error though.
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 06:37 am
PQ well you just need to find God...lol....Im just joking Very Happy

seriously though...thanks and no worries.....
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 03:07 pm
You could just bamboozle them with "How can I know God without knowing myself?"

Try and answer that question about another person Smile
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 05:57 pm
I have kind of the opposite problem -- people always assume I'm Christian. After I've known them for a while they'll slip in little nudge-nudge-wink-wink comments to show me that we're on the same boat or page or something.

If I know the person will remain nothing more than a casual acquaintance I just let it slide. If the person has friend potential I'll set the record straight just because I don't want to be tricky.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 06:07 pm
god is alive and well, living in Argentina and refuses to get involved. He told me so. He also told me that when he came back he became an atheist because he prefers ethics over morals. weird dude, that god is, but such a total personality change since he switched to pantene pro-V.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 06:23 pm
You're quite right to take this as a personal insult, PQ. Telling someone they need to find god, as you describe, is exactly as well intended as telling they they need professional help. As in professional mental help.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 04:20 am
dyslexia wrote:
god is alive and well, living in Argentina and refuses to get involved.

It figures he'd be down there. I hear they have great trout fishing.
0 Replies

stlstrike3

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 01:59 pm
You should have told them that you already found god. And that you read the bible literally. Because, as we good christians should already know.... when the wine at the party had all been consumed... Jesus made more.

If that isn't a ringing endorsement for drinking... then I don't know what is.
0 Replies

dramakazi

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 11:25 am
vikorr wrote:
You could just bamboozle them with "How can I know God without knowing myself?"

Try and answer that question about another person Smile

In knowing God you learn more about yourself... God is who created you. How can you know YOU fully without learning about who created you?

In regards to the person starting this post... Man, Im sorry they said that to you, and I understand your fustration with people like that, but try not to take so much as an insult because finding God isnt a horrible thing.. lol. But seriously though, people like that are just rediculous and spend there time judging those who arent saved and even those who are saved and not enough time trying to perfect themselves..
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 02:45 pm
dramakazi wrote:
In knowing God you learn more about yourself... God is who created you. How can you know YOU fully without learning about who created you?

I think you might just be on to something...
0 Replies