Important questions - i dont understand sh**

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 11:20 pm
I have a huge favor to ask those of you who are knowledgeable about how the economy works, because many times i find myself faced with numbers or arguments i dont fully understand.

1_ What difference does it make that oil prices are set in dollars or euros?

would it damageable to US interests if oil was priced in euros?

reason why i ask is bc of the decision of both Saddam and the Iranian regime to sell their oil in euros, which some have argued constitued in the case of Saddam, and could constitue in the case of Iran, a casus belli.

2_ What are govt bonds? What do govts do with them?

reason why i ask is bc some have argued that the fact that China owns about half of US treasury bonds (?) means that it is "financing US economy" (see http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Global_Economy/FA23Dj01.html)

3_ What does the fact that at least 5 billion$/year of drug money enter the US economy?

Reason why i ask is bc some have argued that US economy is dependent upon drug money.

So i wonder, what would happen to US economy if 5 billion$/year of cash would abruptly stop being poured into it? how does cash flow effect an economy?

Thanks a lot
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 616 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 03:42 am
Re: Important questions - i dont understand sh**
miguelito21 wrote:
I have a huge favor to ask those of you who are knowledgeable about how the economy works, because many times i find myself faced with numbers or arguments i dont fully understand.

1_ What difference does it make that oil prices are set in dollars or euros?

would it damageable to US interests if oil was priced in euros?

reason why i ask is bc of the decision of both Saddam and the Iranian regime to sell their oil in euros, which some have argued constitued in the case of Saddam, and could constitue in the case of Iran, a casus belli.

2_ What are govt bonds? What do govts do with them?

reason why i ask is bc some have argued that the fact that China owns about half of US treasury bonds (?) means that it is "financing US economy" (see http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Global_Economy/FA23Dj01.html)

3_ What does the fact that at least 5 billion$/year of drug money enter the US economy?

Reason why i ask is bc some have argued that US economy is dependent upon drug money.

So i wonder, what would happen to US economy if 5 billion$/year of cash would abruptly stop being poured into it? how does cash flow effect an economy?

Thanks a lot

1) I have no idea. Might have to do with the exchange rate. Someone more knowledgeable than I should come along.
2) Government bonds are what the government runs on, in addition to your taxes, they sell bonds to cover expenditures. Here is some info on government bonds: Wikipedia entry. Essentially, it's the government going into debt but giving you, or a company or even another government, a rather sound investment. The investment is considered sound because technically governments can print more $$ or raise taxes to cover costs at maturity. Government expenditures that are covered by bonds are pretty much anything but on the local level you often hear of municipal bonds being raised to fund things like road construction.
3) Couldn't find real GDP (gross domestic product) in dollars in my quickie search but this site says that current dollar GDP (the market value of the nation's output of goods and services) increased 5% last year, or $164.6 billion. If just about $165 billion is 5%, then that means total current dollar GDP is over $3 trillion. While 6 billion dollars looks like a lot to you and me, the US seems to be hardly dependent upon it, given these figures.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 12:51 pm
For item one - the only logical reason would be fluxuating exchange rates. Unless of course there is some sort of pride involved.

For two - look at government bonds like a mortgage to you. The only difference as was stated before they are much safer as the US could always print more money - however - this is likely to cause inflation. So I guess in a sense if China did own many US government bonds, they are financing the US.

Item 3 - don't know much about the drug money and its effect on the economy.
0 Replies

miguelito21

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 12:22 pm
Thanks a lot for the replies, i think i understand a couple of things better now, especially concerning govt bonds.

I hope someone will be able to answer #1.

Also, i have to add a correction to #3: the estimate for the amout of drug money entering US economy was "roughly half of 1.5 trillion dollars a year"

so it'd be more or less 700 - 800 billion dollars a year.

Anyone knows how that affects the economy?

Basically i think it means more money in the banks, since most of this money enters the US economy through them, but then how it is used, i dont know.
0 Replies