Pranged Piano

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 12:50 pm
Quote:
The Plunging piano
Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The instructions must have been simple - let the experts worry about playing the thing, just make sure you deliver the piano safe and sound.

Unfortunately, this £46,000 rarity took the worst possible tumble from the grasp of removal men on their way to a music festival.

The Bosendorfer grand piano had already been the subject of struggle, even before setting off for the Two Moors Festival in Devon.

Organisers spent two years raising enough money to buy the concert grand.

They must have imagined the grand prize was within their grasp, as the lorry containing the Bergsdorfer rolled up outside the Barkham concert hall.

But organiser Penny Adie watched - and filmed - in horror as the piano caught on the edge of the lorry, toppled 14ft and towards the ground.

Not content with simply smashing into the floor, the instrument bounced off the gravel and hurtled over a bank before clattering onto a set of granite steps.

Mrs Adie's husband John, 61, fears the piano will have to be written off.

Checking just how many of the 10,000 moving parts are still intact would be a task too far, while insurance is only expected to cover £26,000.

Mr Adie added: 'The lid was smashed and there was cosmetic damage, but a half a ton of piano landing like that must have had a catastrophic effect on its workings.'

A neighbouring farmer helped lift the wreckage with a tractor, and the piano was taken back to London for examination.

But Mr Adie admitted: 'It is unlikely ever to come back to us.

'Bosendorfers are like the Stradivarius of the piano world.

'It's more than money that is the issue here. They are simply irreplaceable.'

The piano-movers, G & R Removals of Chiswick, refused to comment, beyond saying that insurers were investigating.

But the sight of the removal man with his head in his hands seemed to sum it all up well enough instead.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 749 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 12:50 pm
http://i19.tinypic.com/2d1qpnb.jpg

http://i14.tinypic.com/47kgplk.jpg

http://i15.tinypic.com/3zka254.jpg

http://i13.tinypic.com/482lwew.jpg

source:
text: Metro
photos: Evening Standard (West End Final), 10.04.07, page 3
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 12:59 pm
Reminds me of a scene in the Bertolucci movie, Besieged...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 01:02 pm
All those who work for G&R Movers and Transporters, please step forward. Not so fast there Dimsly, Muttonbrow, and Lunk.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 10:59 pm
Quote:
Festival's next piano will be handled with care

Maev Kennedy
Thursday September 27, 2007
The Guardian

After the last one fell off the back of a lorry with a crash heard around the world of classical music, a very grand piano heading for a remote corner of Devon will be handled as delicately as a newborn babe.
An £85,000 hand-built Bosendorfer Imperial Concert Grand is being presented by the firm to the eclectic Two Moors festival, a feast of classical music scattered among dozens of parish churches and halls across 1,000 square miles (2,590 sq km) of Exmoor and Dartmoor, where at many events soup and sandwiches are supplied to an audience turning up in hiking boots.

The piano will replace the Bosendorfer which the festival organisers bought second-hand at a London auction after fundraising for years. It made the journey safely to Devon, and was being unloaded at the home of festival founder Penny Adie, when it slipped, toppled sideways down a bank and landed upside down in splinters among the spring daffodils, with echoes of a slapstick movie.

Mrs Adie captured the scene with her camera as the horrified delivery men literally tore their hair in anguish. It was "a Laurel and Hardy moment," she said at the time. "It made a noise like 10 honky-tonk pianos being hit by mallets."

The new piano should arrive tomorrow, delivered by the firm direct from the factory in Austria, in time for this year's festival, which starts on October 13.

Mrs Adie called the firm's generosity staggering. "This is the most elite piano in the world - the generosity of Bosendorfer is colossal. Never in the company's history has it given a piano of this value to any individual or organisation."

The destroyed piano was a saleroom bargain at £26,000, but even if the festival could have afforded a new one, it might have faced a long wait: only 400 are built in most years, often to order: owners have included José Carreras, Michael Jackson, Frank Sinatra, and a Tsar of Russia.

The 10-day Two Moors festival was founded in 2001 to boost the local economy in the aftermath of the last foot-and-mouth crisis.

Now, with the Countess of Wessex as patron, it attracts up to 5,000 people to venues including Culbone, one of the smallest churches in Britain.

The new piano will be played first by Tom Poster, who comes to the festival fresh from winning the Scottish international piano competition.
Source
0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 11:42 pm
Tragic.

Although it reminds me of the time that music saved my life.

The flood waters were up to the window sills and still rising. My sister stood upon the largest piece of floating furniture and screamed out HELP! as she skimmed out the front doors. I, of course, accompanied her on the piano.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 07:44 am
Groan
0 Replies