To educate young people in a climate of tolerance + respect

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 01:59 am
Quote:
France gets first private Muslim lycee

Muslims, Jews and Catholics are welcome at the school
The French education authorities have granted permission for a Muslim school to open in the northern French city of Lille when the new academic year starts in September, French media reports say.

The Lycee Averroes is the first private Muslim lycee on the French mainland.

It is named after an Andalusian-Arab philosopher of the 12th Century who preached religious tolerance, and will initially welcome some 30 students.

The lycee is the brainchild of Amar Lasfar, head of the Lille mosque, who has been pushing for such a school for eight years.

After securing the necessary funding - 150,000 euros in donations - he had the premises converted for use by students.

Muslim culture will be optional

However, the authorities turned down the first three applications to open the secondary school, twice on safety grounds, before finally giving the go-ahead.

"The Lycee Averroes is open to everyone," Deputy head Makhlouf Mameche told French TV.

"All pupils of different faiths are welcome here - Muslims, Jews, Catholics. It is open to all. Girls with headscarves, girls without headscarves. All are welcome."

Tolerance and respect

The head teacher, Sylvie Taleb, has 17 years' teaching experience in Catholic schools and will be taking up her post in September.

Classes will be conducted in French
Potential pupils did not have to be able to speak Arabic to attend the school since lessons would be in French, Mr Mameche said.

"We have made Arabic and Muslim culture optional subjects, so that non-Muslim pupils feel more welcome."

Mr Lasfar welcomed what he called "this brave decision" by the education authorities.

He said there was no essential difference between his school and any other private establishment, but acknowledged what he called "doubts" about the new school.

"Our actions will succeed in allaying any qualms," he said.

"It is through our results that we will answer those who have their doubts about this new institution, which they charge with exclusively favouring a specific minority.

The aim of the school is enshrined in a logo on the school brochure: "To educate young people in a climate of tolerance and respect."

from the BBC (article)

When reading the original article in the (French) newspaper of Lille and the North France region
Article in "La Voix du Nord", I learnt that this is the first 'lycée' in a metropalitan area in France.

There already exists a 'lycée' in la Réunion and a 'collège' in Aubervilliers (Seine-Saint-Denis).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,095 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Clary

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 04:59 am
That is interesting, principally for the tolerance of other religionists at the school> The Muslim schools in London I know of are 100% Islamic. Thing is - will other people send their children to a Muslim school? I might (always one to experiment politically on my kids) but most people just won't need to.

What are your views on it, Walter?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 07:21 am
Well, having no children, it's rather simple to answer.

But due to my own experiences in school and from teaching, I like just normal -state- schools best.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 09:28 am
When our children moved from the disciplined schools of Hong Kong to the free-for-all of the British system they were appalled at British teenagers' (a) lack of respect for teachers and parents (b) lack of tolerance for racial or cultural differences. Yet there is a culture of understanding and tolerance in society as a whole, which didn't really prevail in Hong Kong where the Chinese are openly superior to other races. Odd.
0 Replies

Relative

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 08:58 am
Quote:
Thing is - will other people send their children to a Muslim school? I might (always one to experiment politically on my kids) but most people just won't need to.

No! There is no need to open a biased school "To educate young people in a climate of tolerance and respect." Can't imagine a Christian going to a Muslim school - or the other way around - unless one wants to change his religion.

The key is to have religion free school. No religion in school.

Everybody is equal in front of their God; but all Gods are equal in this school - they don't enter here.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 11:16 am
That is how the French do it, but look at the fuss about scarves and turbans and skullcaps.. personally I would prefer NO religious symbols to be worn by anyone, since it is a sort of boast 'Look how holy I am'. So I am in favour of the French law, but many people I know are not.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 11:56 am
Clary wrote:
Yet there is a culture of understanding and tolerance in society as a whole, which didn't really prevail in Hong Kong where the Chinese are openly superior to other races. Odd.

The "free-for-all" of the British and American system allows the student to get intimate uncensored experience with the "other' which a ridged, structured system, like Hong Kongs does not. Familiarity results ultimately in respect as all groups are allowed to explore the boundaries of acceptable behavior and learn the stand up for themselves. The structured system does not allow for an exploration of preconceived stereotypes, thus they survive.
0 Replies