Event horizon of knowledge

stuh505

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 11:17 pm
1) Our universe is a system defined by a set of elements* and a set of unyielding** governing rules.

2) Within such a system, none of the rules can be observed directly...but their existence can only be inferred by the overwhelming accumulation of empirical evidence

3) It is possible to design a system where some of the rules make it impossible to observe (and/or validate) empirical evidence for some of the other rules, making it fundamentally impossible to know a subset of the rules given infinite research done from within the system by infinitely intelligence beings.

4) Our universe appears to be such a system

5) under this assumption, and given sufficient quantity/complexity/diversity of the rules that some of them can be ascertained to begin with, and that some of these can assist in the acquisition of new rules, then the growth rate of knowledge will be necessarily exponential to begin with

6) given the constraint that some rules are prevented from being directly observable, and that there is some statistical variation in this, the growth rate must have a horizontal asymptote

7) this horizontal asymptote will converge to the event horizon of knowledge: the maximal possible knowledge of the system that can be observed given infinite intelligence and infinite time spent in research.

* by elements, I am not referring to the chemical elements, but rather to the elements of the set which form the constituents of our universe. I emphasize that we cannot, at this time, confidently define that set, but assume that some set must exist, in some form or another, by simple induction on the fact that we exist.

** although many of the apparently "fundamental" rules that we observe are not actually "unyielding" but only hold under certain situations, i assert that any such rule that is not unyielding under ALL circumstances is therefore not truly a fundamental rule, but an emergent "rule of thumb" based on deeper, unyielding rules.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 671 • Replies: 7
No top replies

contrex

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 06:23 am
stuh505, you need to get out more!
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 11:23 pm
Why, is my post completely obvious?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 05:10 am
To be honest, it went right over my head...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 02:11 pm
stuh505 wrote:

I'd rather talk about Britney Spears haircut (snicker)

(inside joke)
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 04:46 pm
Chai wrote:
stuh505 wrote:

I'd rather talk about Britney Spears haircut (snicker)
(inside joke)

Haha, it's ok...I've had my martini already tonight Smile I think she was just jealous of Natalie Portman...
0 Replies

Plato Demosthenes

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 03:47 pm
That actually is a very good idea...I wonder how the effect of knowing that such a thing is true would affect our "knowledge curve". By knowing what we do not and can not know, we can use an advanced "process of elimination" technique to derive what possibilities the unknown could have...thus making it known - a contradiction. Either that, or I just confused my self into an illogical intellectual frenzy. But assuming the former, how would the curve change? It seems as though it would curve and then continue exponentially. Or it could just skip some places. Nevermind. I opt for the "intellectual frenzy" idea after all.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 08:07 pm
Plato Demosthenes wrote:
That actually is a very good idea...I wonder how the effect of knowing that such a thing is true would affect our "knowledge curve". By knowing what we do not and can not know, we can use an advanced "process of elimination" technique to derive what possibilities the unknown could have...thus making it known - a contradiction. Either that, or I just confused my self into an illogical intellectual frenzy. But assuming the former, how would the curve change? It seems as though it would curve and then continue exponentially. Or it could just skip some places. Nevermind. I opt for the "intellectual frenzy" idea after all.

Well my point was that the shape of the function is defined by the laws of the universe to be a Logistic function, so there is nothing humans could do to change that. Let me clarify that...on the x-axis is time spent in research, on the y-axis is knowledge of the laws of the universe acquired.

The assumption is made that research continues indefinitely at a constant rate. In reality the function would be squished and stretched horizontally by the research rate, which is the only thing that humans have control over.
0 Replies