Lottery to decide my life

littlek

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 06:20 pm
I am frustrated, myself. i can't imagine how frustrated Dasha must be (and all the rest of those waiting to hear).
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 06:25 pm
Crossing everything for you Daggles....good jobs are precious, and so are you.

Wanna hold my foot?

Thay are considered lucky, apparently...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 06:26 pm
Thanks for crossed appendages, or furry appendages to hold, and for legal help and advice. I feel much better already.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 07:00 pm
Crossing my fingers for you, I hope everything works out.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 07:10 pm
This is beyond sucky. At least hope looms. And very glad that your boss is so supportive. Will be keeping everything crossed (and if it's furry appendages you want, I'll stop shaving my legs, just for you...)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 07:16 pm
I don't understand anything about this except that it's lousy.

Crossing fingers, braiding hair, whatever results in positive vibrations.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 07:24 pm
Alright...

Who the **** suggested "Hold a lottery" in the "What should be done about illegal immigration" thread?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 07:59 pm
Dys told me of your situation, Dag, so here I am with everything crossed but my eyes.

Homeland Security is as efficient as, well, um, a kindergarten class. This is unbelievable. How can they lump everyone into a group that could contain terrorists as well as verified workers with the highest qualifications and with escellent references???

Here is a link to a site that sells homeland security
T-shirts. I have the one with Geronimo and three other braves on the front...

http://www.cafepress.com/buy/homeland+security

Then again, maybe you shouldn't wear one of those T-shirts, at least not untill you get your visa.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 10:17 pm
well, my odds are 1 : 2.3
That's not bad as far as odds go. But I have such bad luck with lotteries. I also applied for the green card lottery...for the ninth time. I should know about both at about the same time.

H-1B visa is work visa for high skills jobs, presumably awarded on the basis of merit. I did spend a month putting the application together. I don't know how the lottery fits in with merit... Apparently they don't have enough people to go through all the applications. You know how they justify this lottery? "Principle of fairness". That's right. Fairness.
Tens of thousands of highly educated people applying for significant positions in this country, but there is no money for evaluation of all their applications (and there already is selection. The applications can only be submitted within a 36 hour period or so). There is money for war and there is money space exploration... but the money for education, health, workforce...sorry we have to cut funds this year. Again. Makes little sense to me.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 10:22 pm
Oooh, Diane, those are great.
I like the Natives with a sign: Homeland Security...fighting invasion since 1492.
I may have to get me one of those, too!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 10:33 pm
What a teriible situation, dagmar.

But your odds are really good.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 10:46 pm
Well, this drove me crazy a few hours ago when I frst read about it, and now, on thinking, it drives me crazy more. That lottery should affect dag's position, what a travesty.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 10:55 pm
thanks, osso. drives me crazy too. but mostly i'm exhausted. it's been such a sisyphos' battle, been rolling up my stone ball up the hill for almost a year (ya know, like sisyphos...nemmind). been a shitty year, and it's not about to end soon either, it seems.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 11:03 pm
That sucks, Dag. Sad 1 in 2.3 isn't horrible and I do wish you the best of luck. Alternately k-1's and k-3's aren't quite the nightmare they're rumored to be. I have a Russian friend who accomplished it and stayed married just long enough to satisfy the law. I recall only one check up, and that was in the first month. After about a year, she didn't even live in the same State as he, but no one knew the difference. Alternately; false documents aren't difficult to get, and rumor has it some papers are good enough to file for tax returns and vote. :wink: Many employers will accept any papers that will fulfill their legal requirements, anyway, so even cheap chuecas suffice for most. You are a prime example of why our current immigration laws blow. Best wishes, darlin.

Ps. Feel free to PM me for more detailed responses.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 11:04 pm
You've a bunch of pals, and yes, I know, zilch import. It's all berserk.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 11:08 pm
But, Bill, Dag doesn't want to be shifty skullduggerous... her whole thing is about honest dealing.

Gnashing (not at you, Bill, at the situation).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 11:13 pm
I can imagine how terrible the situation is if you have to think about such methods ...
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 11:14 pm
Ah, but it is intriguing that OBill has more information to share privately...
Osso is sooo right, but I like the way the plot is thickening.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 11:20 pm
Nah. I refuse to marry for visa. That would mean they win. I also refuse to forge documents. If it won't go the legal way, I'll have to bid adios to this fair land, and start up, painstakingly, similar organization that I am at now from its start here.

Makes me so angry... we're still a young institute, but it grew tremendously over the last two years that I worked there. We have built quite a renome for ourselves, being sought out for training now by the World Bank, National Democratic Institute, we train people in high positions in various countries... if I have to leave, I'll have to start from scratch. In an environment that is not friendly towards international work at all. Or work somewhere where I won't like the work as much and where I can't use my experience.

I know it's too soon to think about that, but all those considerations make me even angrier now. I've already worked so hard to be where I am right now. And my boss doesn't want anyone else in my position. Sucks royally from each angle I look at it.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 11:22 pm
Smile Thanks though for all the willingness to leap forward to help in practice. Also to fishin and jespah who ran to my help through PMs. Feels good to have a home like this.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 11:56:18