Lottery to decide my life

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 12:33 pm
Yechchc Mad

You're alright, Thomas. The ONLY hurdle is that you have applied for the reentry and left before you got it - so it will be on your file. No big deal. Of course the immigration officer will see that and might ask you about it. You'll explain it, as it happened. I had so many hurdles of the same kind (i-20 expired, had to get reinstated, but had to travel before they processed it, so i got a new i-20 instead... turns out that if i could travel just a day later i would have gotten the reinstatement.... but i was gone so they canceled it, so it shows on my record as Denied....yadayadayada...Many of these). I'm always nervous when I enter, as it depends on the whim of the particular immigration officer as to how much hassle they will give you. So far I got none. I think if you have a valid green card you have nothing to worry about. They have much easier picks for hassling.

But it's so exciting that you might live here! No matter what they all say, I think New Jersey is a gorgeous state. It's not just that one highway, you know. There are beautiful wildlife preserves and forests. The Blair Witch was filmed in Jersey and that area is truly wonderful. You'll see. Many good things in Joisey.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 12:34 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Dag, just fly to Mexico then run back across the border. They have new amnesty programs in place for those folks.

Huh? I got H1B visa. And I'm not an illegal immigrant, never was.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 01:13 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
You're alright, Thomas. The ONLY hurdle is that you have applied for the reentry and left before you got it - so it will be on your file. No big deal.

Not quite. I left before they even finished initial processing; that's what they do before they decide if I have even filed an application (but, interestingly, after they cash your check). When I arrive in the US again, there will be no application on my file, not even a pending one. But there are other pieces of evidence to convince border control that I haven't abandoned my permanent residency. One is that I'll come with a one-way ticket. I can also show them I have a job. And I can show them printouts from my employer's annual performance reviews from 2003-2006,in each of which I state in writing my interest in a transfer to the US, My lawyer says that although you never know, that should be enough to make my point.

Dagmaraka wrote:
Many good things in Joisey.

You'd think so. Your description sounds exciting indeed. I hope you'll come to my house-warming party, if immigration allows one.

Dagmaraka wrote:

Don't try to explain the concept of a legal immigrant. Too complicated.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 02:03 pm
ehBeth wrote:
New Jersey?

How will we be able to tell Thomas and Frank Apisa apart?

I don't know. But remember: Saying "I don't know" is not a sign of weakness -- it's a sign of strength.

Sozobe wrote:
Thanks for the rundown, hope it works out...

Thanks for the good wishes!

Dagmaraka wrote:
(i-20 expired, had to get reinstated, but had to travel before they processed it, so i got a new i-20 instead... turns out that if i could travel just a day later i would have gotten the reinstatement.... but i was gone so they canceled it, so it shows on my record as Denied....yadayadayada...Many of these). I'm always nervous when I enter, as it depends on the whim of the particular immigration officer as to how much hassle they will give you.

Mucho sympathy here. And I agree the whim thing is frustrating. Especially as it seems practically impossible to get a written record from anyone so that a higher instance or a court can maybe review what they're telling you. Not to mention that different forms rely on different, sometimes conflicting versions of the same law, and it's usually the officers' decision whether you acted on the right version ... don't get me started.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 02:09 pm
Monmouth Beach. Fantastic.

Cape May. Beautiful.

Migratory bird Atlantic flyway. Magnificent.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 03:12 pm
Oh my, Thomas!

Am I glad I'm not planning to move Stateside..

Good luck tho. <nods>
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 04:01 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
cjhsa wrote:
Dag, just fly to Mexico then run back across the border. They have new amnesty programs in place for those folks.

On reflection, I think cjhsa was joking. The joke is that we should give up trying to be legal immigrants, trying instead to become illegal immigrants gambling on amnesty. I do see the appeal of that. Smile

ehBeth: I googled the places you named. They do look gorgeous!

nimh: Thanks for the good wishes!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 04:03 pm
ehBeth wrote:
New Jersey?

How will we be able to tell Thomas and Frank Apisa apart?
Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 01:55 pm
Thomas wrote:

"The New Jersey Thing" is an application for transfering to a New Jersey branch of my current employer. I'll get a decision in June, and if it's affirmative, I'll start there either on August 1 or September 1.

So .... August or September?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 02:51 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Thomas wrote:

"The New Jersey Thing" is an application for transfering to a New Jersey branch of my current employer. I'll get a decision in June, and if it's affirmative, I'll start there either on August 1 or September 1.

So .... August or September?

September, most likely. My potential new boss wanted to interview me face-to-face on a business trip he planned for mid June. But he delayed this trip to July, and if he hires me after the interview I'll need a month to hand over my job to my successor. We'll see.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 02:53 pm
hmm
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 02:54 pm
Thanks for the update.

... a month to hand over his job to his successor ... perhaps Thomas should start to search and look for his bits and pieces already by now? ...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 03:02 pm
I say he throws everything out, and lets me help him shop once he arrives.

<shopping ... sigh>
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 07:30 am
Quote:
Suit Planned Over Visas for the Highly Skilled

Article Tools Sponsored By
By JULIA PRESTON
Published: July 6, 2007

A national association of immigration lawyers said yesterday that it would bring a class-action lawsuit against the federal immigration agency for refusing to accept thousands of applications for work-based permanent visas from highly skilled immigrants who were encouraged by the government to apply.

New York Times

Actually this is about something slightly different than I thought it was about when I copied and pasted, but will leave it anyway.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 06:04:53