Lottery to decide my life

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 04:00 pm
As some of you know, since June I had all kinds of troubles with the Department of Homeland Security. Due to London explosions my visa status got messed up (long story and irrelevant here), I had to wait more than half a year to see my salary, therefore got in debt, and all sorts of unpleasantries.

I applied for H-1B visa. Those were filed this Monday. Total cost: over $5,000. Hassle: priceless. I had to get all sorts of documents I didn't even know existed, get them officially translated, do this, do that... major hassle. Took about a month to put together and file. I have great law firm that I work with, and was gratefull for that. But they can only make sure my application looks great. Today I got this email:

Quote:

Dear Dagmar,
We have just received word that USCIS received 150,000 cap-subject H-1B petitions as of late yesterday afternoon. As you may know, there are only 65, 000 cap-subject visas available. In keeping with the regulations, USCIS will subject H-1B petitions received both yesterday and today to a computer-generated random selection process. Because of the volume, it is expected to be several weeks or longer before we know which petitions have been selected. This means that you may not get an H-1B visa.

Since you have filed for change of status, you should not travel until further notice. Please contact me if you need to travel.

This is the only information available at this time. I will provide an update as well as a case-specific analysis of your immigration status as soon as I have more information.

Sincerely,
xxx.

Frankly, when I read it, I just broke down and cried. I have to wait weeks again now before I know any results and after all that I still may be shipped off home. I am educated, I have a great job, my boss would give his arm and a leg to keep me, and yet we might not be allowed to in the end. I can't deal with this anymore. This system exhausts me.
So if you can spare a positive thought or, heck, even a prayer, I'd appreciate it. I'm at the end of my rope here.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 13,719 • Replies: 413
No top replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 04:05 pm
dagmaraka, I'm very sorry to hear that...I know that it is plenty enough to have to worry about doing the right things, and when it comes down to luck that can screw you over...it's just not fair! It's possible that the same thing happens to me with residency. Good luck to you
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 04:08 pm
Good luck Dag...you definitely deserve it. Too bad they don't consider what you've accomplished.

Would you think about just staying if it didn't work out?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 04:09 pm
Will you marry me, dagmar?

That's legal up there in Mass. isn't it?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 04:10 pm
what kind of crap is that?!!

crossing fingers and toes for ya, dag.
if there's any justice left in the world, you'll get the visa...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 04:10 pm
What a nightmare. I'll be hoping for the best outcome for you.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 04:18 pm
Thanks, y'all. I hate feeling sorry for myself, makes me feel like such a wuss. Plus, I'm a controll freak and this is completely out of my hands...makes me furious.

Boomer, I'd marry you in a jiffy, but that don't help for immigration purposes. Only "real" marriage.

I thought about that, marrying a friend or something. One of my gay friends offered... as a last resort to do that. But it's no less hassle. They check and check and check again. I'd have to live with him, share bank accounts, know what he does any given minute of any given day... and frankly I am not willing to go that route for stupid papers. Funny thing is I couldn't care less about this country. I don't care which country I live in. I just want to keep my job which is as if it was invented for me. I'm not dying to have citizenship here (though i wouldn't mind if I could vote), and I would prefer to move back home to be close to my aging parents. But.... I wouldn't find a job even within miles of my current job there. It's perfect.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 04:19 pm
I'm concentrating firmly on the positive.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 04:21 pm
Thanks, Noddy. I never won anything. Not even in cards. Never a lottery or a tombolla. Nothing.

Wouldn't it be fair for my luck to turn now that it matters most?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 04:26 pm
BBB
Psst! Does anyone know how to fix a lottery?

BBB
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 04:33 pm
I'm pulling for you.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 05:03 pm
Thanks, BBB, thanks Edgar.

Just got off the phone with my boss. He called me right away in consolation and assurance that we'll find a way somehow, eventually.
I can't believe how impossible the system has become. Not fair or efficient either, if you ask me.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 05:09 pm
Gah. Another infuriating feature of this process is that I cannot travel anywhere until I know the results. They don't tell me WHEN will I know the results. We have big workshops in India and Amsterdam at the end of May and in June. I might not be able to go, which is very difficult from the point of our organization (to find a trainer now who'd know enough about historical memory in protracted conflicts, immigrants in Europe and corporate citizenship and social responsibility of big companies... eerrrr, sure...). I spent a lot of time designing the schedules, reading and studying on subjects that are not related to each other...and I have no clue who to send now.
Oy. I feel kinda violated. Must process this in a peaceful, buddhist sort of way.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 05:19 pm
Can I get 5 quick-picks for tomight's drawing? Good luck Dag!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 05:22 pm
I'm so sorry this is happening. I don't understand the restricted numbers, at all, and the phenomenal pressure that causes is ... absurd. Hang in there.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 05:23 pm
dagmaraka :
wishing you all the luck you need and keping fingers crossed for you !
as i posted on the canada thread , it was so easy to come to canada 50 years ago .
applied for visa in may and arrived in canada in august - without sponsor or job offer !
mind you , we would have needed a sponsor to enter the u.s. , so canada it was .
good luck !
hbg
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 05:37 pm
Thank you. It's the times that we're living. Apparently, the immigration wasn't this stiff since WWII, or so say those that remember. This, too, shall pass. Like I said before, I find consolation in the fact that they cannot kill me. Feels like a little victory. I will still do what I do and they can't do didley squat about that. Not that they'd care...but still. It helps.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 06:09 pm
Write to the immigration department where your documents are filed,
and tell them of your upcoming trip to India and what you need to accomplish there, and if they could speed up the process by such and
such date. It might help, you never know. It's worth a try.

Have you entered the greencard lottery? You could be the lucky winner!

I've heard immigration horror stories, and even a fake marriage won't
do it, as the greencard is granted for 2 years only. After that
one has to apply again for more permanent status, that is if you're still
married, if not, no other visa will be issued.

Here is to hoping for a sympathetic immigration officer. I'll keep my
fingers crossed for you, dag.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 06:17 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
Thank you. It's the times that we're living. Apparently, the immigration wasn't this stiff since WWII, or so say those that remember. This, too, shall pass. Like I said before, I find consolation in the fact that they cannot kill me. Feels like a little victory. I will still do what I do and they can't do didley squat about that. Not that they'd care...but still. It helps.

Check your PMs. Wink
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 06:18 pm
Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through, dag. I'll cross fingers and toes and whatever else I can find. Hang in there - good things DO happen to good people.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Lottery to decide my life
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 03:03:07