Interchange fee

Winthorpe

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 01:13 pm
Linkat wrote:
I also understand the burden of the charges as my husband now owns a small business and yes he would prefer to deal in cash and save some money, but on the other hand if they didn't accept charges, the customers without cash would go elsewhere. Getting a small percentage less is better than getting nothing at all.

So unless you can change the purchasing habits of all Americans, I doubt the fees will fall.

I should have clarified initially that I'm not arguing that the interchange fee should be done away with. I also understand, as I'm sure your husband does that not accepting credit cards puts a store owner at a serious disadvantage. This is exactly my point, that Visa and MasterCard realize this and thus aren't lowering this fee even as the volume skyrockets and the cost and time associated with processing plastic transaction drops.

I would like to see increased disclosure along with fair competition. Clearly many people here disagree with me on this, but this is something that irked me as a consumer.

There have already been a few Congressional hearing, and more to come, on the interchange fee and the credit card industry in general this year and hopefully some good will come of this.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 04:57 pm
One advantage of credit cards for a small business owner is that the Credit Card companies have the joy of dealing with deadbeat customers.

One rubber check can make a big difference in weekly profits.
0 Replies

Winthorpe

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 01:45 pm
interchange
not to beat a dead horse here but . . . I keep coming across article on interchange fees and wanted to share a few of them. I'm not sure if this issue is picking up steam or I am merely more aware of it, anyway, I found this article interesting,

Quote:
Mike Gharib is facing a $5,000 fine for violating Visa's rules, although he says he has never seen a copy of them because Visa does not make them available to its merchants.

Gharib offers cash-or-credit pricing at his San Francisco station and has earned Visa's wrath by using the term "credit" on his street sign. Visa wants him to use the words "standard," "regular," or "normal" to label his credit card price or forfeit his right to accept Visa cards. Gharib says he has no option but to comply.

Plus, Visa USA recently raised their interchange rate increases that began taking effect earlier this month.

Quote:
While the increases in rates may look small, overall interchange collections have soared in the past half-decade. Visa and MasterCard collected approximately $36 billion in 2006, up 17 percent from 2005 and 117.5 percent since 2001, according to MPC estimates. Annual increases since 2001 have ranged from 15.8 percent to 17.3 percent.

"Visa and MasterCard would like consumers to believe that interchange is only going up a tiny fraction of a percentage when it's really going up in double-digit numbers and far faster than the rate of inflation or consumer spending," Duncan said. "These fees are ultimately paid by consumers, but working families can't afford these kinds of increases."

No wonder Visa, MasterCard and their member banks are facing more than 40 ongoing lawsuits from merchants alleging antitrust violations regarding how these fees are set. I continue to side with the merchants and see they have little recourse. Sure they could not accept plastic, but that isn't realistic these days and is becoming more difficult by the day.
0 Replies

Winthorpe

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 12:03 pm
Well to respond to myself, I see this issue popped up again last week as the House Judiciary Committee's Antitrust Task Force held a hearing specifically on interchange fees. So people don't have to go back and read the previous comments here is some background,
Quote:
The credit card interchange fee is a percentage of each transaction that Visa and MasterCard and their member banks collect from retailers every time a credit or debit card is used to pay for a purchase. The fee varies with type of card, size of merchant, and other factors, but may be up to two percent or more, or about $2 for a $100 purchase. According to MPC, the fees are indirectly paid by consumers, unaware the fees are incorporated into the prices of products they buy.

This question from Congressman Issa is particularly interesting,
Quote:
"Why in the world should this committee permit a gag rule to be in place keeping the public from knowing what they're being charged, especially when there's more profit in a gallon of gas for the credit card companies than a gas station?" asked Congressman Darrell Issa (R-CA) said in reference to Visa last year saying it would disclose full rules to merchants but only if they signed a Non-Disclosure Agreement.

I'm glad to see Congress going after the card companies on this one, and according to this article,
Quote:
Investigations by both judiciary committees in Congress, along with future hearings expected in this Congress, could very well lead to a push for legislation to provide significant relief to consumers and retailers, according to FMI.

Hopefully this reform will happen and at the very least some increased transparency from Visa and MasterCard.
0 Replies